Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

Not sure I agree with Wren being a poor AAA player - he doesn't have a ton of power, but he's hit for a pretty high average in AAA and overall throughout his minor league career. Doesn't strike out a ton, has decent OBP numbers along with some steals.

Is he an all star? No. But at some point we need to take a look to see if any of that translates to the MLB level and if not, then why bother keeping him in AAA at all? He certainly can't do much worse than Franklin.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Franklin makes me long for the days of Logan Schafer. I get not bringing up legit prospects to be bench bats but why not give Wren or DeJesus a chance in that role?

Because Franklin is a sunk cost? Maybe DeJesus when Braun is back, and Perez is the 4th OF. But do we have options to put DeJesus back down to AAA if we wanted later? If not, then I don't know if you do that yet either.

I don't think 40 at bats is a very good bearing for what anyone can do at the major league level. If Franklin stinks come late June or July, fine. But he is our 25th man on the roster. They don't effect much.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't think 40 at bats is a very good bearing for what anyone can do at the major league level. If Franklin stinks come late June or July, fine. But he is our 25th man on the roster. They don't effect much.

People were all over Aguilar too the last couple weeks. But suddenly he's up to .763 OPS. That's the way it is with bench guys. Franklin could have a couple big games too. If he stays this bad, well yea you make a change but not after 40 ABs.

I will say this. Once this team starts competing, the Franklins and Milones of the world are going to have a shorter leash. But this year, let's see what guys like Franklin and Aguilar can do. We may not agree they should be on the roster, but now that they are give them a real chance.

People were all over Aguilar too the last couple weeks. But suddenly he's up to .763 OPS. That's the way it is with bench guys. Franklin could have a couple big games too. If he stays this bad, well yea you make a change but not after 40 ABs.

I will say this. Once this team starts competing, the Franklins and Milones of the world are going to have a shorter leash. But this year, let's see what guys like Franklin and Aguilar can do. We may not agree they should be on the roster, but now that they are give them a real chance.

I mean, to be fair, Milone was given an awfully short leash, lol. If we're willing to can a pitcher after 21 innings it's probably not unfair to at least discuss replacing bench guys after slow starts .

I think who we keep and who we cut is awfully dependent on other players as well, not just the performance of the player in question.

Given the rest of our team's flexibility, keeping a guy like Aguilar makes sense because it's nice to have a big power bat on the bench, plus with Thames able to pay the outfield from time to time, Aguilar is probably a better bat to have in the lineup than whoever your 4th OF is.

Franklin keeps his spot because his positional flexibility gives Counsell a lot of options with how to construct a lineup without worrying about late game injuries or double switches. He's competent enough in the field and figures to be ok enough at the plate that we don't lose much in his limited playing time. It would be nice to see what someone like De Jesus or Wren can do, but neither would figure to get much playing time in the majors right now and if we do need them in case of a big injury, we'd like them to be getting regular ABs in the meantime. If we needed someone for a longer period of time than just a couple games, Franklin wouldn't be the guy we use, but when all you need is a limited time guy you're not likely to want to waste a good prospect on that position because you're wasting them on the bench most of the time.

Clearly the 25 best guys in our organization are not making up our roster right now, but that's how it goes when you're rebuilding. By the end of this year and into next year I guarantee that people are going to be a lot happier with the roster makeup than they are right now.

By the end of this year and into next year I guarantee that people are going to be a lot happier with the roster makeup than they are right now.

I can guarantee that except for the day they win the world series people will be complaining about who is and isn't on the roster. And the day after the world series is over, they will start complaining again. :laughing

jhan marinez designated for assignment today and brent suter recalled. if the brewers wish to outright marinez to the minor leagues and he goes unclaimed, marinez has the right to refuse the minor league assignment and declare free agency.

the brewers have seven days to trade, release or outright marinez to the minors. the roster is at 39.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
brent suter optioned to make room for paolo espino. espino will be making his major league debut tomorrow and has three minor league options remaining. the 40-man roster is full.

Nice to see Espino get a chance. Long ride for the guy. Let's hope he makes the most of his opportunity.

Do these Suter moves still require a candid manager office visit and discussion, or are they basically just sending him thumbs up and thumbs down text emojis by this point?

I don't think it's a big deal anymore. When a player on the 40 man is optioned, it's not like being sent to Siberia. He's in touch with Brewer staff and teammates and can follow the big league club's every move and knows he could be back at any time.

Does that open a spot on the 40? Or was that taken by Espino already?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

brandon woodruff has had his contract selected and will start this afternoon's game. rob scahill was designated for assignment.

if the brewers attempt to outright scahill to the minors and he goes unclaimed, he reserves the right to refuse the minor league assignment and elect free agency.

woodruff has all three minor league options remaining.

the 40-man roster remains full.

neftali feliz designated for assignment today with the activation of matt garza from the 10-day disabled list.

the roster is at 39.

Thank you. As long as one of Drake/ Feliz / Peralta is gone, I can go at least another 2-3 weeks with the other two while we see how Suter, Hader, and Espino do in the pen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I knew Feliz was a bust when they signed him...Feliz laughing all the way to the bank. Peralta is a Feliz clone but Stearns decided to give him some extra time to figure things out.

That's interesting since you posted this in March:

My bullpen picks

Feliz

Torres

Knebel

Marinez

Barnes (hardest thrower, brewers overlook horrible spring)

Milone (need a lefty but actually doesn't throw as well the young guys getting sent down)

Jungmann (Need to create some value some way. Personally I would make him a starter again, seems to have figured out some things)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I knew Feliz was a bust when they signed him...Feliz laughing all the way to the bank. Peralta is a Feliz clone but Stearns decided to give him some extra time to figure things out.

My bullpen picks

Feliz

Torres

Knebel

Marinez

Milone (need a lefty but actually doesn't throw as well the young guys getting sent down)

Jungmann (Need to create some value some way. Personally I would make him a starter again, seems to have figured out some things)

To be fair, he did state a couple days after this and before the regular season that he thought it was baffling to give that money to Feliz. Might have just been posting his predictions for the pen.

My bullpen picks

Feliz

Torres

Knebel

Marinez

To be fair, he did state a couple days after this and before the regular season that he thought it was baffling to give that money to Feliz. Might have just been posting his predictions for the pen.

Exactly...that was my predictions on who would make team out of camp...pretty spot on.

• 2 weeks later...

stephen vogt claimed off waivers yesterday from oakland. vogt is out of options, but he has never been outrighted off the 40-man roster to the minor leagues. to make room on the 25-man roster, jett bandy was optioned to colorado springs.

if bandy spends more than 20 days optioned, he will enter 2018 spring training with no minor league options remaining. the brewers could've preserved one of those days by waiting to option bandy until tuesday (lewis brinson was optioned and opened up a spot on the 25-man room for vogt), so this move is slightly puzzling.

the 40-man roster is full.

i'm curious when was the last time the brewers carried four catchers on the 40-man roster during the regular season. anyone know?