Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tyler cravy optioned to the minor leagues today. assuming he spends at least 20 days optioned in 2017, he will enter 2018 spring training with zero minor league options remaining.

jared hughes signed to a one-year deal, but the brewers can control for one season beyond this one as an arbitration-eligible player. hughes is out of minor league options. with this signing, the 40-man roster is full.

important to note that suter spent just one day optioned to the minor leagues. time will tell how long he stays with the big league club.

brent suter optioned to the minor leagues today. assuming he spends at least 20 days optioned in 2017, he will enter 2018 spring training with two minor league options remaining.

michael blazek designated for assignment today to make room for waiver claim nick franklin. the 40-man remains full.

the brewers have seven days to trade, release or try to outright blazek to the minor leagues. if he goes unclaimed, blazek cannot refuse the minor league assignment. if blazek is claimed by or traded to another team, he can be optioned to that claiming team's minor league affiliate.

franklin is out of minor league options.

damien magnifico designated for assignment today to make room for the addition of david goforth to the 40-man and 25-man roster. the 40-man remains full.

the brewers have seven days to trade, release or try to outright magnifico to the minor leagues. if he goes unclaimed, magnifico cannot refuse the minor league assignment. if magnifico is claimed by or traded to another team, he can be optioned to that claiming team's minor league affiliate.

goforth has one minor league option remaining, meaning he can go forth to the minor leagues and be recalled again if need be this year.

also of note, brent suter optioned to the minor leagues to make room for goforth. if suter spends at least 19 days optioned in 2017, he will enter spring training with two minor league options remaining.

unless recalled to replace an injured player, suter will be required to spend at least ten days optioned to the minors.

david goforth has been designated for assignment. the brewers have 7 days to trade, release or outright goforth to the minor leagues. if the brewers attempt to outright goforth to the minors, any other team could claim him and option him to the minor leagues. if he clears waivers, because he's been outrighted once before, goforth can declare free agency.

oliver drake is acquired in a trade with the orioles. he is out of minor league options and has been outrighted to the minor leagues once before.

the 40-man remains at capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

kirk nieuwenhuis was designated for assignment two days ago. he has been outrighted to the minor leagues before, and thus, can refuse a minor league assignment if the brewers wish to outright him.

the brewers have five days left to trade, outright or release nieuwenhuis. the roster is at 39.

Edited by djoctagone

tommy milone designated for assignment today. the brewers have seven days to trade, release or ask milone if he'll accept an outright assignment to the minor leagues (if he clears waivers). because milone has been outrighted before, he has the right to refuse the minor league assignment.

rob scahill has his contract selected by the brewers. he is out of minor league options, and was outrighted to the minor leagues this past off-season. he can also refuse a minor league assignment if the brewers end up wanting to outright him to the minor leagues (assuming he clears waivers).

the roster remains at 39.

Braun's return doesn't seem imminent after working out yesterday. Wonder if it might be best just to 10 day DL him and give either Brinson or Phillips a week or so to get their feet wet up here until Braun is fully healthy.

Unfortunately he did come in for a single pinch hit on May 2nd so that is as far as we could retroactively DL him.

Braun's return doesn't seem imminent after working out yesterday. Wonder if it might be best just to 10 day DL him and give either Brinson or Phillips a week or so to get their feet wet up here until Braun is fully healthy.

Unfortunately he did come in for a single pinch hit on May 2nd so that is as far as we could retroactively DL him.

I would think they would only do that if they think he'll be out 10 days. Otherwise they have a guy in Thames that is perfectly capable of playing out there and Braun, as we've seen, can still pinch hit. Not sure it makes sense to make that move just to have another guy here for a few days. No room to play them anyways.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

They have a lot of flexibility with that 4 man bench so unless they think Braun will be out more than a few more days I doubt they'd DL him just to bring up another bench guy.

They currently have 5 guys to choose from to fill the outfield every game, I don't think they'd need to call up another one. And if someone in the infield needs a game off they can always shift Perez to the infield or also Aguilar at 1B.

Brewers are pretty well set up to keep going with a 4 man bench (or I suppose a 3 man bench while Braun's out). Stearns' emphasis on positional flexibility is really paying off so far this year.

They have a lot of flexibility with that 4 man bench so unless they think Braun will be out more than a few more days I doubt they'd DL him just to bring up another bench guy.

They currently have 5 guys to choose from to fill the outfield every game, I don't think they'd need to call up another one. And if someone in the infield needs a game off they can always shift Perez to the infield or also Aguilar at 1B.

Brewers are pretty well set up to keep going with a 4 man bench (or I suppose a 3 man bench while Braun's out). Stearns' emphasis on positional flexibility is really paying off so far this year.

Flexibility is one thing but replacing Braun in LF with a Nick Franklin when you have 4-5 better options combined between your own roster and AAA is quite another.

I have to think that Nick Franklin's days are numbered. They could bring up Cordell and still have flexibility with his ability to play 3b. Of the three AAA OF, I'd be ok putting Cordell on the ML bench with spot starts a few times a week.

I have to think that Nick Franklin's days are numbered. They could bring up Cordell and still have flexibility with his ability to play 3b. Of the three AAA OF, I'd be ok putting Cordell on the ML bench with spot starts a few times a week.

Definitely Franklin's days are numbered. The way DeJesus has played, Franklin is lucky to still be around. All 3 prospect OFers in Colorado Springs are having great seasons so far in Brinson, Phillips and Cordell. Once it is feasible for service time concerns to bring any up, there's no reason to keep Franklin around, especially because as you mentioned Cordell has some positional flexibility as well, and we already have Perez who can play anywhere.

Frankly I'm shocked Michael Reed is still on the 40. He isn't performing all that well in Biloxi, and isn't that young or much of a prospect anymore, not to mention he's buried behind about 8 better options. I would expexr him to be traded or DFAed at some point this year.

I would also think the way the Sky Sox outfielders are performing is going to shorten the leash for Santana. Broxton's superior glove probably gives him more leeway, but Santana's lack of one could cost him his spot at some point if he isn't slugging.

Flexibility is one thing but replacing Braun in LF with a Nick Franklin when you have 4-5 better options combined between your own roster and AAA is quite another.

Exactly. Franklin has a OPS+ of 6. How he is on a major league roster is a mystery because his versitily is meaningless.

Verified Member

Frankly I'm shocked Michael Reed is still on the 40. He isn't performing all that well in Biloxi, and isn't that young or much of a prospect anymore, not to mention he's buried behind about 8 better options. I would expexr him to be traded or DFAed at some point this year.

Tough crowd when 150 wRC+ doesn't get you "all that well". While a 30% K rate may be ominous for his future, but he is showing the most power of his career. Though I agree his future seems to be in another organization at this point.

Before we start give away Santana's spot, I'd like to see Cordell, Brinson, or Phillips get their OPS above .800 on the road. Santana is still sporting a 106 wRC+ with a BABIP 70 points below his career average. We'll see where things are at in July.

I see what a lot of others have in the potential of Santana's bat but he drives me nuts with his ho-hum appearance on the field. That being said, its way too early to start thinking about replacing him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Franklin makes me long for the days of Logan Schafer. I get not bringing up legit prospects to be bench bats but why not give Wren or DeJesus a chance in that role?

Both Franklin and Dejesus had around 200 ABs last year. Franklin had a 771 OPS, Dejesus a 623. Franklin is more versatile. Easy decision to leave Frankin up. He'll likely go on a hot streak at some point.

Wren isn't even a good AAA player, he is right where he belongs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..