Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Stearns ever carried a rule 5 player out of spring training? Not that I can remember. Any players we pick will probably just be traded right away. I know he's done that a few times.

How could you forget the legend of Colin Walsh

Has Stearns ever carried a rule 5 player out of spring training? Not that I can remember. Any players we pick will probably just be traded right away. I know he's done that a few times.

How could you forget the legend of Colin Walsh

I didn't remember him as one of Stearn's picks. So he's done it once in 6 years. And you made me interested to actually look up what he's done and I was shocked:

2015 - Walsh (made team but eventually returned) and Zack Jones (injured in ST, pitch some rehab games before being return to Twins)

2016 - Caleb Smith (traded to Cubs)

2017 - none

2018 - none

2019 - none

2020 - none

It feels like every year he picks someone and then trades them but Stearns has only made 3 rule 5 picks his entire tenure and that was his first two seasons as GM. Maybe he sees the rule 5 as totally pointless and not worth the roster handcuff.

the brewers acquire j.c. mejia from cleveland for a player to be named later. mejia has been granted a fourth option (it will be burned in 2022 regardless of his roster status), and he has never been outrighted to the minor leagues.

the roster is at 36 players.

the brewers officially announce the signing of brett sullivan.

he will enter spring training with three minor league options, and cannot refuse a minor league assignment if he happens to clear outright waivers.

the roster is at 38 players.

the brewers acquire hunter renfroe from the red sox for jackie bradley, jr. and two minor leaguers.

renfroe has two minor league options remaining, but has been outrighted to the minor leagues before.

the roster remains at 36 players.