Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

With Axford likely headed to the IL, who takes his place until Gustave can come back. Yardley?

Have to wonder how legit the elbow injury today.. probably legit, but it is rather convenient at the precise moment CC was going to take him out. Without the injury, he is likely released. As is, he is paid league minimum salary through the end of injury, I presume. Or is he guaranteed his salary already for the rest of the year regardless of what happens?

The second he got called up he was guaranteed his salary for the rest of the year, so injury or no injury doesn't really matter.

Those last two pitches he threw though....he's definitely injured.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Axford likely headed to the IL, who takes his place until Gustave can come back. Yardley?

Have to wonder how legit the elbow injury today.. probably legit, but it is rather convenient at the precise moment CC was going to take him out. Without the injury, he is likely released. As is, he is paid league minimum salary through the end of injury, I presume. Or is he guaranteed his salary already for the rest of the year regardless of what happens?

I doubt that. Craig looked pretty shocked and upset when Axford waved the trainer out.

even though he's on optional assignment, the brewers were able to place keston hiura on the special covid-19 injured list. this removes him from the 40-man roster.

sal romano has been claimed from new york (al). he is out of minor league options and has been outrighted to the minor leagues before.

the roster is at 39 players, with six players on the special covid-19 injured list.

The second he got called up he was guaranteed his salary for the rest of the year, so injury or no injury doesn't really matter.

Those last two pitches he threw though....he's definitely injured.

IDK, does it really work like that? Think of all the guys they option up and down, if they all get a major league minimum for the rest of the year just because they were called up for a day or two would the Brewers be handing out that money like it's Christmas as often as they do?

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Guys with options are treated differently. Ashby isn't earning a major league salary right now after cup of coffee in the majors. Veterans are treated differently but can't so for sure regarding Axford but certainly getting major league pay now on the IL.

Guys with options are treated differently. Ashby isn't earning a major league salary right now after cup of coffee in the majors. Veterans are treated differently but can't so for sure regarding Axford but certainly getting major league pay now on the IL.

Absolutely he's earning major league pay while on the IL which is why the validity of his injury was brought up, fake an injury (I'm not claiming Axford did) to get on the IL and make a major league salary for a little longer.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-surprisingly-complex-world-of-minor-league-contracts/

This article basically spells out what happens for veterans that sign minor league deals. Getting called up to the big leagues does not guarantee their salaries, if they go back to the minors they go back to minor league pay, based on how their contracts were negotiated.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

christian yelich was activated from the special covid-19 injured list and returned to the 40-man roster.

adrian houser was placed on the special covid-19 injured list and was removed from the 40-man roster.

the roster is at 38 players, with seven players on the covid-19 injured list.

I assume Ramano gets dropped today, Barker get his opportunity?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Honestly, if he hasn't been up by now, I doubt it will ever happen. I mean, they are bringing up scrap heap guys like Romano and coaches/commentators like Axford before him. I just don't think it's gonna happen for him. I think they feel he's maxed out as a solid AAA reliever.

Honestly, if he hasn't been up by now, I doubt it will ever happen. I mean, they are bringing up scrap heap guys like Romano and coaches/commentators like Axford before him. I just don't think it's gonna happen for him. I think they feel he's maxed out as a solid AAA reliever.

Like Green when we were short on hitters I suppose

Lindblom has been dealing at AAA

His last starts…

IP/ER

June 5/1

July 5/1

5/1

6/1

6/1

6/2

Aug

7/1

My guess is that he is pitching in Chicago.

He's 34 and has over 400 innings in AAA. Going 5-6 innings with one earned run in AAA isn't all that impressive because Arenado, Castellanos, Joey Votto etc., don't play in AAA.

Lindblom is what he is: a fringe major league pitcher with a career 1.39 WHIP and 5.00 ERA. They might have no choice to use him against the Cubs for a spot start, but I imagine they would immediately DFA him again when the players on the COVID-IL are activated.

hunter strickland has been activated from the covid-19 injured list. he returns to the 40-man roster.

blaine hardy is returned to class aaa nashville without outright waivers. he is removed from the 40-man roster. the brewers were able to avoid outright waivers because hardy was a replacement during a covid outbreak.

the roster is at 39 players, with six players on the covid-19 injured list.

jake cousins has been activated from the covid-19 injured list. he returns to the 40-man roster.

sal romano has been designated for assignment. the club has seven days to try to outright him to the minors or release him. if he clears outright waivers, he can refuse the minor league assignment.

the roster is at 39 players, with five players on the covid-19 injured list.

Potential activity in the next week:

8/11 - Hader active, Curtiss DL (40)

8/13 - Hiura optioned, Axford 60 day (40)

8/14 - Lauer active, Perdomo optioned, Lopes DFA (40)

8/15 - Shaw DFA (40)

8/16 - Houser active, Gustave option, Lobstein DFA, Yardley DFA (40)

8/17 - Topa optioned, Vogelbach DFA (40)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Potential activity in the next week:

8/11 - Hader active, Curtiss DL (40)

8/13 - Hiura optioned, Axford 60 day (40)

8/14 - Lauer active, Perdomo optioned, Lopes DFA (40)

8/15 - Shaw DFA (40)

8/16 - Houser active, Gustave option, Lobstein DFA, Yardley DFA (40)

8/17 - Topa optioned, Vogelbach DFA (40)

It’s easier to say who survives! For you, Reyes, Ray and Milner survive. :)

Thanks for writing this up. Yup, 5 DFAs unless we have new 60-day injuries (heaven forbid) or lingering Covid cases.

justin topa has been activated from the 60-day injured list and has returned to the 40-man roster. topa has all three minor league options intact and has never been outrighted to the minor leagues.

the roster is at 40 players, with five players on the covid-19 injured list.