Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

Can they try to send Shaw and Vogelbach to the minors? Usually I would expect them to elect for FA but they may prefer to stick around for the chance at playoff baseball. Plus they may not get many offers at this point in the season.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Can they try to send Shaw and Vogelbach to the minors? Usually I would expect them to elect for FA but they may prefer to stick around for the chance at playoff baseball. Plus they may not get many offers at this point in the season.

I wouldn't expect Vogelbach to make it through waivers, as someone will take a chance on that power bat with team control. He was hitting the ball pretty well before going down too.

Shaw probably stands a solid chance of getting through waivers unclaimed. Then it would all depend on whether there is an MLB 3B or bench role out there somewhere for him.

patrick weigel has been designated for assignment. the club has seven days to try to outright him to the minors or release him. if he clears outright waivers, he will be forced to accept the minor league assignment.

the 40-man roster is at capacity, with two players on the special covid-19 injured list.

You are including Lobstein, correct? If I count the number of players on the Brewers website https://www.mlb.com/brewers/roster/40-man, I get 39. Lobstein is not listed, but there is no history of him being DFA'd on the transaction page. The Sounds roster still lists him on the 40 man roster https://www.milb.com/nashville/roster. Clearly he is flying under the radar even in the Brewers eyes. ;)

Either way, I think Lobstein is likely to clear a space (if not already done) and Tim Lopes to make room for Yelich/Peterson.

Shaw will be DFA'd as well as Vogelbach to make room for File when he is done with his rehab. They still have plenty of others if they want to go a different way that could be cleared: Milner, Reyes, Yardley, & Ray. Maile is an option, but they will wait until Feliciano is in full health first so we have a 3rd catcher.

Weigel DFA'd:
Fully expect the Dodgers to claim him now

Didn't end up getting anything out of the Orlando Arcia trade. Neither did the Braves really so far either, though.

Basically gained $1 mil though…so there’s that Atleast.

trades are no longer allowed for 40-man roster players, or for players designated for assignment. because that means of acquisition is no longer an option for clubs, it's going to harder to sneak players through outright waivers without them being claimed.

either you're signed as a free agent, or you're claimed off outright waivers. that's the only way to change organizations and land on a club's 40-man roster until the offseason.

patrick weigel has been designated for assignment. the club has seven days to try to outright him to the minors or release him. if he clears outright waivers, he will be forced to accept the minor league assignment.

the 40-man roster is at capacity, with two players on the special covid-19 injured list.

You are including Lobstein, correct? If I count the number of players on the Brewers website https://www.mlb.com/brewers/roster/40-man, I get 39. Lobstein is not listed, but there is no history of him being DFA'd on the transaction page. The Sounds roster still lists him on the 40 man roster https://www.milb.com/nashville/roster. Clearly he is flying under the radar even in the Brewers eyes. ;)

lobstein is still on optional assignment with the brewers, and thus, is still on the 40-man roster.

I'd keep Vogelbach over Peterson. Eight of their last 35 or so games are in AL parks where a DH is used. Next year a DH is likely in the NL. I'm not swayed by Peterson's hot stretch that covered what 20 games? He's a career fringe player. Big Dan went down about the time of the crackdown on sticky stuff. I'd like to see him hit now. Besides in a late game PH situation. if I'm the opposing manager, Vogelbach strikes a lot more fear in me than Peterson.

I wouldn't expect Vogelbach to make it through waivers, as someone will take a chance on that power bat with team control. He was hitting the ball pretty well before going down too.

Shaw probably stands a solid chance of getting through waivers unclaimed. Then it would all depend on whether there is an MLB 3B or bench role out there somewhere for him.

But is Vogelbach truly a power bat, with a .405 career slugging or does he he merely look the part with his belly hanging over his pants? Last year 2/3 of the teams passed on him, he hasn’t necessarily torn of the cover off the baseball with the Brewers. I think most teams would probably see what they have in fringe guys in their own system than trying to eek out an ounce of upside out of Vogelbach.

I always liked the guy but Tellez is essentially the same player with son upside, more team control and a cheaper price. Why would they give at bats to Vogelbach at the expense of Tellez?

Weigel DFA'd:
Fully expect the Dodgers to claim him now

Didn't end up getting anything out of the Orlando Arcia trade. Neither did the Braves really so far either, though.

We did get an initial look at Urias full time because of the trade and after a rough month 'panic' traded for Adames. So maybe a silver lining look at the trade... but still.

the brewers will be placing jake cousins, jandel gustave and hunter strickland on the special covid-19 injured list. as a result, all have been removed from the 40-man roster.

the roster is at 37 players, with five players on the special covid-19 injured list.

I think Leuer might be optioned soon with the additions to the bullpen.

Shaw and Vogelbach DFA probably and hopefully at AAA in waiting.

Keep Petersen and Taylor around. Petersen is out of options, but not a Taylor, correct?

Topa to minors.

When all healthy….

13 position players

Yelich Cain Bradley Taylor Garcia

Rowdy Wong Adames Escobar Urias

Narvaez Pina

Petersen

13 Pitchers

Woody Burnes Peralta Anderson Houser

Suter Norris Cousins Strickland Curtiss Boxberger Williams

Hader

September (2)

Leuer and ?

Topa. No limit on pitchers in 2021.

I think Leuer might be optioned soon with the additions to the bullpen.

Shaw and Vogelbach DFA probably and hopefully at AAA in waiting.

Keep Petersen and Taylor around. Petersen is out of options, but not a Taylor, correct?

Topa to minors.

When all healthy….

13 position players

Yelich Cain Bradley Taylor Garcia

Rowdy Wong Adames Escobar Urias

Narvaez Pina

Petersen

13 Pitchers

Woody Burnes Peralta Anderson Houser

Suter Norris Cousins Strickland Curtiss Boxberger Williams

Hader

September (2)

Leuer and ?

Topa. No limit on pitchers in 2021.

Maybe Feliciano? A third catcher?

blaine hardy has his contract selected. he has one minor league option remaining, but has been outrighted to the minor leagues before.

however, because he's a replacement player in what might be deemed a covid-19 breakout, he might be exempt from outright waivers if the brewers wish to return him to the minor leagues. this writer is unsure if the threshold of three players can be met by one of them testing negative but being out for close contact.

the roster is at 38 players, with five players on the special covid-19 injured list.

blaine hardy has his contract selected.

however, because he's a replacement player in what might be deemed a covid-19 breakout, he might be exempt from outright waivers if the brewers wish to return him to the minor leagues. this writer is unsure if the threshold of three players can be met by one of them testing negative but being out for close contact.

hardy is a replacement for hunter strickland, but strickland wasn't placed on the injured list on the same day as the other two.

thus, technically, the brewers might not have an outbreak as defined by mlb. doesn't seem fair, as three guys were deemed unavailable all on the same day.

will sammon reports that if the brewers wish to remove blaine hardy from the 40-man roster and return him to the minor leagues, they can just do so. he won't be exposed to outright waivers.

I would imagine that will be the move now with Axford about to take a spot.

john axford has been acquired from toronto for cash. it appears that he has two minor league options remaining, but has enough service time to refuse any optional assignment. he has been outrighted to the minor leagues before.

the roster is at 39 players, with five players on the special covid-19 injured list.

jace peterson has been reinstated from the covid-19 injured list, which returns him to the 40-man roster.

josh hader has been placed on the covid-19 injured list, which removes him from the 40-man roster.

the roster is at 39 players, with five players on the special covid-19 injured list.

It just occurred to me if the Brewers activate Vogelbach at the end of his rehab stay then immediately designate him for assignment, he has enough service time to reject an outright assignment to the minor leagues, but with less than 5 years service time he would forfeit the remainder of his salary. When he's playing on a 1.4 million dollar contract that would probably be somewhere in the $500K to $600K range, not a sure thing he would walk away from that type of cash.

If nobody claimed him if would be a very poor decision to reject the outright assignment.

I'd have to agree. Yeah, he'd have a chance of unobstructed playing time on a bad Cubs team or the like, but he's a strong candidate for a roster-expansion call-up, and possibly more considering the status of our 1B situation.

Severity of the injury is also a big factor now. If he goes on the 10 day DL, he takes up a valuable 40 man spot that will be needed soon. But 60 day means he's done for the year.

With Axford likely headed to the IL, who takes his place until Gustave can come back. Yardley?

Have to wonder how legit the elbow injury today.. probably legit, but it is rather convenient at the precise moment CC was going to take him out. Without the injury, he is likely released. As is, he is paid league minimum salary through the end of injury, I presume. Or is he guaranteed his salary already for the rest of the year regardless of what happens?