Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

It's going to be interesting with 5 guys needing to be added to the 40 man soon and only 1 spot.

two players on optional assignment have been dealing with injuries in mario feliciano and corey ray. i haven't been following their progression, but if the brewers are willing to give them major league pay and service time, either or both could be recalled (not to report) and placed on the 60-day injured list to open up a spot or two. it's what they did with dylan file.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be interesting with 5 guys needing to be added to the 40 man soon and only 1 spot.

two players on optional assignment have been dealing with injuries in mario feliciano and corey ray. i haven't been following their progression, but if the brewers are willing to give them major league pay and service time, either or both could be recalled (not to report) and placed on the 60-day injured list to open up a spot or two. it's what they did with dylan file.

I really doubt they want to start Feliciano's service time for nothing.

At this point I think they would prefer to just dump Corey Ray over paying him MLB money.

The five would be?: Yelich, Peterson, Shaw, Topa. Who is the 5th? Vogelbach is on 10 day DL, not 60.

I assume some dfa combination of: Ray, Reyes, Shaw, Milner, Yardley, Maile, Lopes. Escobar/Tellez makes Vogelbach expendable.

File is the 5th, currently on rehab.

I could even see Peterson DFA'd since there really won't be a spot for him on the 26 man when Yelich comes back.

I guess I assumed File would be on "rehab" until September, even if he was healthier before then.

I guess I assumed File would be on "rehab" until September, even if he was healthier before then.

dylan file began his rehab assignment on 9 july. assuming no setbacks, a pitcher's rehab assignment can last up to 30 days. if there's a setback or another injury during that time, the pitcher must remain inactive for seven days before starting a new rehab assignment (with approval from the mlb commissioner).

If I have this right:

Peterson can return 8/3

Yelich can return 8/6, if healthy

Shaw rehab ends 8/15

Topa rehab ends 8/17

Vogelbach rehab ends 8/17 (Not a 40 man issue, just 26 man)

File rehab ends 8/25

If I have this right:

File rehab ends 8/25

i'm not clear if the 30-day limit for pitchers is per level of the assignment, or if it's from the date of the initial assignment. dylan file was transferred to higher level clubs after his rehab assignment started 9 july with acl brewers blue.

on 17 july, the rehab was transferred to class high-a wisconsin.

on 27 july, the rehab was transferred to class aaa nashville.

assuming that file wasn't shut down at all during this span, i would assume that the 30-day clock started ticking 9 july, not 27 july.

They could also shut down File and Topa on the 60 day through the end of the year.

No, they can't, not unless they get hurt again. They can't extend their 30 day rehab assignments unless they get hurt.

They could also shut down File and Topa on the 60 day through the end of the year.

No, they can't, not unless they get hurt again. They can't extend their 30 day rehab assignments unless they get hurt.

But wouldn't it be easy to claim arm fatigue or other minor injury? If they don't get creative, might be at risk of having to drop someone like Jace, Vogelbach, Cousins, Sanchez.

They might have to send a guy like Cousins or more likely Sanchez to the minors but really isn't a reason to drop them. Guys like Yardley and Lopes have been horrible and probably shouldn't be on the 40 man any more.

It may come down to options. There may not be room for Vogelbach, Shaw or Peterson on the active roster if everyone is healthy and they would have to be DFAd to be sent down. Unless they really would rather keep one of them over Taylor.

daniel norris is acquired from detroit for a minor leaguer. he appears to one one minor league option remaining, and has never been outrighted to the minor leagues. he does have enough major league service time to refuse an optional assignment.

the 40-man roster is at capacity.

Verified Member
How about JBJ? Can they put him to the minors? Can he refuse….

They'd have to release him. Assuming that they are going to buyout his contract at the end of the year, this is an interesting thought, though. It would depend on how they feel about Escobar and/or Jace Peterson and/or Corey Ray playing OF. Personally, with the fragility of Cain and Yelich I think it's important to hold on to JBJ til the end of the year.

john curtiss is acquired from miami for a minor leaguer. he has one minor league option remaining, but has been outrighted to the minor leagues before.

the 40-man roster is currently at 41 players, with two additional players on the special covid-19 injured list.

the brewers have yet to announce a corresponding move.

patrick weigel has been designated for assignment. the club has seven days to try to outright him to the minors or release him. if he clears outright waivers, he will be forced to accept the minor league assignment.

the 40-man roster is at capacity, with two players on the special covid-19 injured list.

It may come down to options. There may not be room for Vogelbach, Shaw or Peterson on the active roster if everyone is healthy and they would have to be DFAd to be sent down. Unless they really would rather keep one of them over Taylor.

Shaw and Vogelbach are probably gone with the addition of Escobar and his ability to cover 1B and 3B.

I think Leuer might be optioned soon with the additions to the bullpen.

Shaw and Vogelbach DFA probably and hopefully at AAA in waiting.

Keep Petersen and Taylor around. Petersen is out of options, but not a Taylor, correct?

Topa to minors.

When all healthy….

13 position players

Yelich Cain Bradley Taylor Garcia

Rowdy Wong Adames Escobar Urias

Narvaez Pina

Petersen

13 Pitchers

Woody Burnes Peralta Anderson Houser

Suter Norris Cousins Strickland Curtiss Boxberger Williams

Hader

September (2)

Leuer and ?

Edited by rickh150

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Weigel DFA'd:
Fully expect the Dodgers to claim him now

Didn't end up getting anything out of the Orlando Arcia trade. Neither did the Braves really so far either, though.

Well, Sobotka is still in the organization, and its possible that Weigel will remain as well. So not nothing. But probably close to it.