Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
With so many catchers on the 40-man roster, what are the odds we will be trading from a position of strength there (capable MLB talent, not world-beater talents)? We have at least three guys without options, so I'd think we'd clean that up at least.

• 2 weeks later...
We have been talking about having our OF set with Garcia, Yelich, and Cain, but has anyone heard if Cain is actually planning on playing this year? Will there be an COVID opt-out option again?

As of right now it is a normal season and no Covid-related changes. Sounds like MLB and the Union will meet in January.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the kolten wong deal is official. even though he was optioned to the minor leagues in 2014 and 2016, he never spent the requisite 20 days on optional assignment, and thus, appears to never burned any of his options. wong has enough major league service time to refuse any optional assignment by the brewers.

the roster is at 39 players.

Random question but has Lo Cain actually committed to this season? I was thinking about it last night and I guess just assumed because of all the talk about having him back, that he was playing, but don't remember actually hearing anything.

Random question but has Lo Cain actually committed to this season? I was thinking about it last night and I guess just assumed because of all the talk about having him back, that he was playing, but don't remember actually hearing anything.

Pretty sure Stearns was asked about Cain last week in his presser about Wong, and confirmed that he will be back for this season.

Pretty sure Stearns was asked about Cain last week in his presser about Wong, and confirmed that he will be back for this season.

Cool, thanks! I had a moment of worry thinking, he still might not be 100% in for this season. I guess nobody is 100%, but you know what I'm saying.

I'm still thinking Zach Green could really be a sleeper at 3B and/or 1B.

His 2019 numbers at AAA were incredible - 1.039 OPS, 25 HRs in 297 PAs. He'll be 27 this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they get a big contribution from him this year.

I'm still thinking Zach Green could really be a sleeper at 3B and/or 1B.

His 2019 numbers at AAA were incredible - 1.039 OPS, 25 HRs in 297 PAs. He'll be 27 this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they get a big contribution from him this year.

When did I miss this Zach Green signing, and what do we know about this guy (outside of what apparently was a really good year in AAA in '19)?

• 2 weeks later...

jackie bradley, jr. deal is official. unclear if he still has a minor league option remaining, but he has enough service time to refuse any optional assignment.

tim lopes has been placed on the 60-day injured list as the corresponding move.

the 40-man roster is at capacity.

travis shaw has his contract selected and is added to the 40-man roster. shaw does have a minor league option remaining, but has enough service time to refuse the optional assignment.

mark mathias has been placed on the 60-day injured list as the corresponding move.

the 40-man roster is at capacity.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Has someone leaked that Boxberger will be added or just people's hunch?

I realize Topa's injury changed some things, but we just released him and signed him to a new minor league contract. Personally, I'd hold on to that flexibility and see what opportunities present itself on the waiver wire.

Has someone leaked that Boxberger will be added or just people's hunch?

I realize Topa's injury changed some things, but we just released him and signed him to a new minor league contract. Personally, I'd hold on to that flexibility and see what opportunities present itself on the waiver wire.

I believe Boxberger re-signed because he was told about the chance of making the OD roster or something like that.