Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

trade is official with san diego.

zach davies and trent grisham traded for eric lauer (three options remaining), luis urias (two options remaining) and a player to be named later or cash.

the player to be named later is usually not on a major league contract.

two subtractions, two additions to the 40-man. the roster remains at 36.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd, and somewhat disappointing decision. Guerra was extremely useful in multiple roles for the Brewers, and was always effective in most of them. Gonna see a lot of turnover on the pitching staff in 2020 it appears.

Sort of expected, as Junior was do for a nice raise and he battled his splitter all year

I'm a little surprised that Guerra will be non-tendered. He was reasonably successful out of the bullpen last year.

I know some people on Twitter think this means they're more likely to non-tender other borderline guys, but I actually think it means they're more likely to tender a guy like Nelson. For roughly the same projected arb salary Nelson feels like the higher upside play. (Yes I know they could keep both players if they wanted).

I'm a little surprised that Guerra will be non-tendered. He was reasonably successful out of the bullpen last year.

I know some people on Twitter think this means they're more likely to non-tender other borderline guys, but I actually think it means they're more likely to tender a guy like Nelson. For roughly the same projected arb salary Nelson feels like the higher upside play. (Yes I know they could keep both players if they wanted).

If they don't keep Nelson, it's because they think he's done. I personally don't think they'll go that way, but I've already been surprised by multiple moves this offseason, so who knows?

Guerra to me, always seemed worse than his numbers indicated. Really never felt comfortable with him in the game, didn't seem to miss many bats.

77 K's in 83 2/3 innings doesn't say can't miss bats to me. That's a ton of innings (mostly quality) to replace. He had rough outings, usually after being used a lot but he's been pretty darn reliable and a big contributor to two playoff teams. I can't say I'm shocked but I am surprised. They seem to be pinching every possible penny. I'm hoping that's for a reason namely to sign one big bat and one top starter. I'll be very disappointed if it's just to churn their roster with similar type quality.

There's a bit of a bullpen crunch with guys who have no options left, including J Guerra, so I'm not entirely surprised they are non-tendering him to save some money and gives other guys a spot. Would you rather have Taylor Williams, for example? (I would.)

Plus, Stearns needs to save all this payroll space for his Stephen Strasburg signing.

There's a bit of a bullpen crunch with guys who have no options left, including J Guerra, so I'm not entirely surprised they are non-tendering him to save some money and gives other guys a spot. Would you rather have Taylor Williams, for example? (I would.)

I was looking at this today as well. You have T.Williams, Faria, R. Black, and the other Guerra that are out of options and will be battling for a bullpen spot. I don't expect all of these guys to make it, but they will be given every chance to make the roster.

he battled his splitter all year

I thought that was due to the new ball and hesitancy to use the splitter, and that once he started using the splitter again he had better results in July and August. But he did seem to run out of gas in September; could have been because his 83 IP out of the pen, IIRC, was top five in all of baseball.

He pitched in 12 of their 25 games in July and 14 of their 26 games in August, or roughly every other game in July and August. No wonder he ran out of gas in September.

I thought that was due to the new ball and hesitancy to use the splitter, and that once he started using the splitter again he had better results in July and August. But he did seem to run out of gas in September; could have been because his 83 IP out of the pen, IIRC, was top five in all of baseball.

He pitched in 12 of their 25 games in July and 14 of their 26 games in August, or roughly every other game in July and August. No wonder he ran out of gas in September.

That’s my understanding as well. But who knows how the ball will be next year. Also, we could always re-sign him cheaper than arby

Guerra to me, always seemed worse than his numbers indicated. Really never felt comfortable with him in the game, didn't seem to miss many bats.

77 K's in 83 2/3 innings doesn't say can't miss bats to me.

With how the strikeout rate keeps increasing, that is actually below the league average (7% below actually. K% is only 3% below). Walk rate is above the league average (117 BB/9+, 122 BB%+). In other words, that K:BB ratio is not very good at all. Junior did do a good job of limiting hard contact this year, but even that doesn't really fully explain his extremely low BABIP of .218 (Career best by far) which is what he relied on to keep runs off the board. 2018 Jhoulys Chacin was similar in a way, the relatively poor K/BB numbers and a career low BABIP and lower than usual HR/FB rate. These are both stats with a lot of fluctuation, fluctuations that are much bigger than what a genuine change by the player can achieve.

When a single-season ERA improvement is the result of swings in numbers like that, with K/BB numbers actually getting worse, one should absolutely be wary of them. What the Brewers will have to decide is whether the improved batted-ball profile for Junior was a result of the changes he made (ditching the slider for the curve, increased velocity from the bullpen), or if it was fluky.

I'd probably still tender him, as there is so much upheaval on the pitching staff already, and arbitration salaries aren't fully guaranteed anyway. But it'd be borderline, the $3.5m projected salary is a lot for, at best, a middle reliever. So it's not surprising at all if he's non-tendered.

That’s my understanding as well. But who knows how the ball will be next year. Also, we could always re-sign him cheaper than arby

That is my hope. Sign him for $2M with staggered appearance bonus.

omar narváez acquired from seattle in exchange a minor leaguer and a 2020 competitive balance round b selection.

narváez has all three minor league options intact and is under club control (arbitration-eligible) for the next three seasons.

the roster is at 32 players.

avisaíl garcía deal is official. it appears that he has one minor league option remaining, but enough service time to refuse the optional assignment.

the roster is at 37 players.

Been meaning to ask this for a while - is your shift key broken? :tongue

I find it hilarious that you have the acute accent over the "i"'s, but no capitalization.

avisaíl garcía deal is official. it appears that he has one minor league option remaining, but enough service time to refuse the optional assignment.

the roster is at 37 players.

Been meaning to ask this for a while - is your shift key broken? :tongue

I find it hilarious that you have the acute accent over the "i"'s, but no capitalization.

I’ve asked the same question several times over the years. I’ve never gotten a response.