Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know where the 2020 payroll stands now assuming all arby eligible players are retained?

I just did some quick and dirty math.

I came up with $109,230,000

I used contract info from Cots.

I used $565k as the minimum salary for all pre-arb players on the 40 man. (This isn't perfect because I believe players on the 40 man get minor league pay while they're in the the minors)

I used MLB Trade Rumors arbitration salary projections.

I assumed Thames and Anderson would have their options exercised and all players under 6 years of service time would be retained.

I included the $5.25mm in buyouts owed to Gandal and Moose. I also removed $4mm for deferred comp for Braun and Cain.

I included Wahl and Knebel who technically are not listed on the 40 man roster yet.

This is player salary only. It does not include other forms of player compensation/benefits that are rolled into the luxury tax calculation.

Edit: to add Perdomo.

I think option decisions are due today for Thames and Anderson. (of course if Anderson's option is declined he's still under team control through arbitration so he may not immediately become a free agent)

I'm pretty sure that if they decline Anderson's option, he's a free agent. If the Brewers wish to retain him, they have to pick up his option. If they don't pick up his option and instead pay the buyout, then that makes him a free agent.

That's not to say they couldn't re-sign him later, but in the short term they're giving up their rights to him by not exercising their option on his contract.

I think option decisions are due today for Thames and Anderson. (of course if Anderson's option is declined he's still under team control through arbitration so he may not immediately become a free agent)

I'm pretty sure that if the Brewers decline Anderson's option, he's a free agent. If the they wish to retain him, they have to pick up his option. If they pay the buyout, they're giving up their rights to him by not exercising their option on his contract, which then makes him a free agent.

They couldn't re-sign him later if he's still available, but he's an FA and nothing's guaranteed.

I don't envy Stearns on his decision on Shaw. He performance next year is incredibly unpredictable. He could realistically have an OPS anywhere from 551 to 862. That means we could have anywhere from bad Arcia to good Moose.

I think his only option is to try and trade him and replace him with Moose or another free agent. Relying on that level of unpredictability for a key role cannot be afforded on a contending team. I liked the idea that someone posted to trade him for Zack Cozart (as long as the money gets evened out). Change of scenery type trade.

I don't envy Stearns on his decision on Shaw. He performance next year is incredibly unpredictable. He could realistically have an OPS anywhere from 551 to 862. That means we could have anywhere from bad Arcia to good Moose.

I think his only option is to try and trade him and replace him with Moose or another free agent. Relying on that level of unpredictability for a key role cannot be afforded on a contending team. I liked the idea that someone posted to trade him for Zack Cozart (as long as the money gets evened out). Change of scenery type trade.

Cozart is a walking talking injury waiting to happen. No thanks.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

the brewers officially announced picking up the option of manny pina.

the brewers declined the option of eric thames.

the brewers have traded chase anderson for a minor leaguer.

the brewers have reinstated corey knebel and bobby wahl from the 60-day injured list.

the roster remains at 32.

I still can't see any reason to tender Shaw. It wasn't just a bad year, it was off the charts bad. If you pay him close to $5 million, you commit yourself to giving him a significant amount of ABs to start the year. What serious contender has a guy playing an offensive position taking ABs after posting numbers like Shaw did in 2019?

I still can't see any reason to tender Shaw. It wasn't just a bad year, it was off the charts bad. If you pay him close to $5 million, you commit yourself to giving him a significant amount of ABs to start the year. What serious contender has a guy playing an offensive position taking ABs after posting numbers like Shaw did in 2019?

No you don’t. Arby salaries aren’t guaranteed. If he still looks lost in Spring Training, you cut bait and move on.

Here is my rough 40-man and payroll calculations

Forgot to remove Austin and Spangenberg who elected FA after being outrighted. Payroll stands at roughly 96.35M

It's David Freitas, not Jake.

Good catch. Had him in correctly in the other tabs. My brain must have blended Freitas, Nottingham and Faria!

No you don’t. Arby salaries aren’t guaranteed. If he still looks lost in Spring Training, you cut bait and move on.

Yeah but your paying $800K+ to see what Shaw looks like. That is quite a chunk of change, especially if you plan to do the same thing with Nelson.

Yeah but your paying $800K+ to see what Shaw looks like. That is quite a chunk of change, especially if you plan to do the same thing with Nelson.

That is true. There is some risk involved. It just isn't the high level of risk initially implied.

I personally think they bring Nelson back. Shaw is a tougher call. I would personally do it, but the Brewers may go a different direction. I think a lot of that decision is going to come down to what the FA market looks like by the tender deadline.

• 2 weeks later...

the brewers apparently have claimed, rather than signed, eric yardley, who had previously been with the padres.

yardley has all three minor league options intact.

if he was signed as a free agent after being released by san diego, it's important to note that he was first outrighted off their 40-man roster. this would factor in if the brewers wish to send yardley outright to the minor leagues again.

the roster is at 33.

I just searched the forum for Mathias and am surprised his name only came up in MadThinker88's post. I could swear that...way back...his name was brought up pretty frequently in the transaction proposal forum. This would have been before the suggested Santana/Salazar swap. May go as far back as Lucroy.

I just searched the forum for Mathias and am surprised his name only came up in MadThinker88's post. I could swear that...way back...his name was brought up pretty frequently in the transaction proposal forum. This would have been before the suggested Santana/Salazar swap. May go as far back as Lucroy.

Mathias was not part of the failed Lucroy trade. The 4 names were Francisco Mejia ©, Yu Chang (INF), Greg Allen (OF) & Shawn Armstrong (RHRP)

As for other people/ possibilities of raising Mark Mathias as a target I cannot say.

Can anyone confirm if Mathias got added to the 40 man? I know he is eligible for the R5 this year but I haven't seen anything official of him being added..

Edited by MadThinker88