Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he clears waivers, Jackson can elect to reject an outright assignment and become a free agent. So he could get claimed, or not get claimed and become a FA, or not get claimed and accept the assignment to San Antonio.

If he accepts the assignment to San Antonio and the Brewers later add him back to the 40-man, he could still be optioned as necessary.

A lot of lives are impacted by unexpected events such as Chase’s blister and the 18-inning game. This is why 2-3 spots need to be reserved for players with no long-term role in the organization.

If he clears waivers, Jackson can elect to reject an outright assignment and become a free agent. So he could get claimed, or not get claimed and become a FA, or not get claimed and accept the assignment to San Antonio.

If he accepts the assignment to San Antonio and the Brewers later add him back to the 40-man, he could still be optioned as necessary.

I believe Burch Smith has one option remaining.

and that is correct on both jay jackson and burch smith. the club has seven days to trade, release or try to outright jackson to the minor leagues. if jackson refuses the assignment, he voids his contract in becoming a free agent.

if the club wishes to outright smith to the minor leagues instead of optioning him, he faces the same situation as jackson, as he has been outrighted to the minor leagues before.

the 40-man roster remains at capacity.

jay jackson spent only two days optioned to the minor leagues before being designated for assignment (which immediately removed him from the 40-man roster). if he spends another 18 days in the minor leagues while on the 40-man roster, he will burn his first option.

keston hiura has his contract selected and has three minor league options intact. travis shaw to the 10-day injured list. cory spangenberg has been designated for assignment.

the brewers have seven days to trade, release or outright spangenberg to the minors. spangenberg has not been outrighted to the minor leagues before, so if he clears waivers, he will be forced to accept the minor league assignment.

the roster remains at capacity.

• 1 month later...

hernan perez has been designated for assignment. the brewers have seven days to trade, release or try to outright him to the minor leagues.

perez has been outrighted before. if he is not claimed by another team, he reserves the right to refuse the minor league assignment and become a free agent.

the roster is at 39.

as we now know, hernan perez went unclaimed and accepted an outright assignment to san antonio. he will be a minor league free agent after this season.

the 40-man spot vacated by him didn't stay open for long.

deolis guerra has his contract selected from san antonio, with aaron wilkerson being optioned there.

guerra is out of minor league options, and has been outrighted to the minor leagues before. if the brewers wish to send deolis guerra to the minor leagues, he must first clear waivers. if he is not claimed by another team, he reserves the right to refuse the minor league assignment and become a free agent.

the roster is at 40.

deolis guerra has been designated for assignment. the brewers have seven days to trade, release or try to outright guerra to the minors. burch smith has been recalled (raise your hand if you remembered that he was still on the 40-man).

guerra is out of minor league options, and has been outrighted to the minor leagues before. if the brewers wish to send deolis guerra to the minor leagues, he must first clear waivers. if he is not claimed by another team, he reserves the right to refuse the minor league assignment and become a free agent.

the roster is at 39.

Verified Member
It's a little bit alarming how many guys we have waived this year and retained the rights for--including the last position player on the roster the last 4 years. I thought this was a deep team coming into the year but I guess notso much.

It's a little bit alarming how many guys we have waived this year and retained the rights for--including the last position player on the roster the last 4 years. I thought this was a deep team coming into the year but I guess notso much.

It’s largely a financial issue with the players not a depth issue with the team. If a player is Designated for Assignement, clears waivers and is assigned to the minor leagues as a non roster (40 man) player and they don’t report, the organization isn’t obligated to pay them. For players like H.P. thats serious dough. Even Alex Wilson is at $750,000 so for those type of players it’s a slice of humble pie but reporting to the minors is probably a no brainer financially.

Conversely, the Brewers don’t flat out release these players because their contract is a sunk cost and they may as well see if the player can figure it out and maybe deliver something of value

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Is it? Every team in MLB is looking for roster flexibility at the bottom of the 25- and 40-man roster. It seems that fringe MLB players who are out of options typically have a difficult go of it regardless of which organization they are with. I imagine most teams have several players that fall into that category as well, which hinders being able to churn the bottom of the roster.

jay jackson spent only two days optioned to the minor leagues before being designated for assignment (which immediately removed him from the 40-man roster). if he spends another 18 days in the minor leagues while on the 40-man roster, he will burn his first option.

bringing this forward as jackson's contract was selected yesterday while optioning mauricio dubon.

if the brewers wish to outright jackson to the minor leagues again, he reserves the right to refuse the assignment, voiding his contract, and become a free agent.

however, jackson still has all three minor league options intact, and is still 18 days away from burning his first option.

the roster is at 40.

• 3 weeks later...

jordan lyles acquired from the pirates for a minor leaguer. lyles is out of minor league options and will be a free agent after the season ends.

to make room for lyles on the 40-man, marcos diplan has been designated for assignment. the club has seven days to trade, release or try to outright diplan to the minors.

a corresponding move still needs to be made on the 25-man roster to accommodate lyles.

the 40-man remains at capacity.

jake faria officially acquired from the rays in exchange for jesus aguilar. faria can be optioned this year, but will enter 2020 spring training with no options.

officially, the roster remains at 40.

technically, jordan lyles was activated yesterday by the brewers, but that must have been post-game.

lyles is able to take the 25-man roster spot vacated by jesus aguilar.

the brewers can wait (probably until tomorrow) to determine if they want to activate jake faria (which would require a corresponding move on the 25-man), or option him.

Going to need to open up one more spot for both Giant pitchers to go on the 40-man. Any chance Chacin is done?

I mean I wouldn't say there not *any* chance, but I doubt that's the move. Jacob Barnes, Donnie Hart, Burch Smith, Aaron Wilkerson are all on the 40-man.

Going to need to open up one more spot for both Giant pitchers to go on the 40-man. Any chance Chacin is done?

I mean I wouldn't say there not *any* chance, but I doubt that's the move. Jacob Barnes, Donnie Hart, Burch Smith, Aaron Wilkerson are all on the 40-man.

Bye Bye Donnie or Burch.

the trade with the san francisco giants is official. the brewers send mauricio dubon for drew pomeranz and ray black. pomeranz is eligible for free agency after the season ends. black can still be optioned this year, but will enter 2020 spring training with no minor league options remaining.

to make room on the 40-man roster, the brewers designated donnie hart for assignment. the club has seven days to trade, release or try to outright hart to the minors. if hart goes unclaimed and clears waivers, he will be forced to accept the minor league assignment and will remain in the brewers' organization for the remainder of the season.

the 40-man roster remains at capacity.