Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

They've said they'll start the year w/ 13 pitchers.

- Seventeen pitchers currently left on the 40-man, but Wahl & Jeffress are bound to join Suter on the DL.

- That means 2 cuts are coming, 3 if Tomlin's earning a roster spot.

- Otherwise only Deolis Guerra and Jay Jackson remain from the NRI pitcher pool.

13 pitchers means 12 position players and there's no way NRI guys Ray, Orf, Hiura, Erceg, & Gosewisch beat out any of the 40-man guys.

- Fifteen position players currently left on the 40-man.

- One cut will be the 3rd catcher (likely Kratz unless there's an injury).

- That tickets both Spangenberg (last option available) & Saladino (would have to clear waivers since he's previously been outrighted) for AAA UNLESS the unforeseen happens and they cut or trade Perez.

Other factors:

- Stearns, like Melvin, has a history of picking up someone another team cuts. Seems less likely this year, but not out of the realm of possibility.

- It's also possible Stearns trades someone who may be high-priced for a potentially limited role (Anderson, Thames) who fits another team's needs enough for them to give up a respectable return for one or both of them.

- Who knows if Keuchel or Kimbrel -- the only potential needle-movers left among FAs -- sign here, but however unlikely it seems, the seemingly 1% chance one of them signs is still a possibility until they're signed elsewhere. Of course, if Stearns trades both Thames & Anderson, then we have more room to absorb a higher (but not absurd) salary to take their roster/payroll space.

Great post.

Although I’d put odds of Brewers signing one of Keuchel/Kimbrel > 10%

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've said they'll start the year with 13 pitchers.

Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s not the case on the opening day 25 man. You aren’t going to need 13 pitchers in the first couple games. However, you could use a extra pinch hitter. Similar to Choi last year, wouldn’t shock me to see an extra bat for a game or two.

They've said they'll start the year with 13 pitchers.

Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s not the case on the opening day 25 man. You aren’t going to need 13 pitchers in the first couple games. However, you could use a extra pinch hitter. Similar to Choi last year, wouldn’t shock me to see an extra bat for a game or two.

I agree. I'm just repeating what I read that Counsell said. If he says that, I'd be surprised if he changes course.

alex wilson major league deal is official. wilson appears to be out of minor league options.

erik kratz is traded for a minor leaguer to open up a spot on the 40-man roster for wilson.

the 40-man remains at capacity.

Verified Member
What is Jimmy Nelson's roster status? I assume he has been (and still is) on the 60 day DL? When he makes is MiLB debut, he'll need to be removed from that list and officially go on a rehab assignment for a maximum of 30 days--at which point the Brewers can then use one of his 2 remaining option years? Or does his MLB service time (4.107 yrs) basically make his option years moot?

Nelson is on the 10-day IL. He'll be on a rehab assignment with the Missions.

If they feel he's not ready after the rehab assignment ends, which I believe is 30 days from the beginning of the AAA season tomorrow, he can be optioned to the minors if he's healthy.

Nelson accrues MLB service time while on rehab. However, he won't hit the 5-year service mark until 5/31 if he accrues service time each day until then.

starting next year, only position players can be placed on the 10-day injured list. pitchers will be required to spend a minimum of 15 days on the injured list (excluding concussions). hence, the 15-day injured list will be brought back.

donnie hart claimed off waivers and optioned to san antonio. if hart spends more than 20 days optioned this year, he will burn his final option.

bobby wahl transferred to the 60-day injured list. the 40-man remains at capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

david freitas acquired from seattle for a minor leaguer and optioned to san antonio. it appears that freitas will be burning his second option in just a matter of days if he remains optioned.

corey knebel moved to the 60-day injured list.

david freitas acquired from seattle for a minor leaguer and optioned to san antonio. it appears that freitas will be burning his second option in just a matter of days if he remains optioned.

Freitas is an extremly weak hitting catcher. He looks to be either AA or AAA backup material.

• 2 weeks later...

gio gonzalez deal is official. jake petricka designated for assignment to make room for him on the 40-man roster. the brewers have seven days to trade, release or outright petricka to the minors. petricka reserves the right to refuse the minor league assignment (voiding his contract) and become a free agent.

In general I hate bureaucratic legalese just as much as the next guy, but for some reason I get a kick out of djoctogone explicitly stating what is happening to the roster during all of his posts in this thread..

Thank you.

Freitas is an extremly weak hitting catcher. He looks to be either AA or AAA backup material.

Actually Freitas isn't a bad hitter at all. He had a .955 OPS in 39 games in AAA last year and has a .996 OPS so far this year between Tacoma and San Antonio.

Actually Freitas isn't a bad hitter at all. He had a .955 OPS in 39 games in AAA last year and has a .996 OPS so far this year between Tacoma and San Antonio.

Frietas in MLB: .214/.270. SLG .313. He seems like an AAAA type. Good in minors, bad in majors.

alex wilson has been designated for assignment. the brewers have seven days to trade, release or outright wilson to the minors.

jay jackson has his contract selected. he has three minor league options remaining.

the roster remains at capacity.