Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

Stearns said on the radio that moving Shaw to second last season was one conversation and to move him back there for future season would be a whole nother conversation. So basically, Shaw is our third baseman till some possible scenario comes around and they talk to Shaw and he OKs playing the season at second.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a good place to view the entire 40 man roster grid with options and contract status for each player?

EDIT: I just found this on Cots Contracts:

Which has everything I was looking for except for option status

• 3 weeks later...

making note of transactions in recent weeks discussed in individual threads . . .

corey spangenberg deal official. one minor league option remaining.

domingo santana traded for ben gamel (one minor league option remaining) and minor leaguer noah zavolas.

keon broxton traded for bobby wahl (two minor league options remaining) and minor leaguers adam hill and felix valerio. wahl has been outrighted to the minor leagues once before, so if the brewers decide to remove him from the 40-man roster and keep him in their organization, he has the right to refuse the minor league assignment (voiding his contract) and become a free agent.

the roster is at 38.

Is there a good place to view the entire 40 man roster grid with options and contract status for each player?

EDIT: I just found this on Cots Contracts:

Which has everything I was looking for except for option status

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=37695

Cool. Thanks for the links. I definitely feel like the utilization of the 40 man is something that Stearns and this FO has targeted as a space to potentially gain an edge on other clubs that kind of just ignore it and use it just as a holding\protection area. The Brewers really do seem to value the whole 40 and have made decisions based on how they can essentially play with a roster greater than the active 25.

Maybe that's just me paying more attention to the Brewers than what other clubs are doing and not really seeing all the details of the other teams.

For those who know more about outrighting than me, now that the 40 man is full if the Brewers outrighted Tyrone Taylor now and he wasn't added to another teams 40 man would he have to go to the minors or would he be a minor league free agent like he was supposed to be prior to him being added to the 40 man by the Brewers.

making note of recent transactions . . .

jake petricka signed to a one year deal. it's been reported that he has one minor league option remaining, but i count two, as he spent less than 20 days optioned in 2014.

yasmani grandal signed to a one year deal with a mutual option for 2020. it appears that he has one minor league option remaining, but he has enough service time to refuse the optional assignment.

with these moves, the 40-man roster is full.

Petricka does have 2 options remaining but also needs just 15 days on the active roster to reach 5 years of service time and the ability to refuse option and outright assignments. His proximity to five years of service would seem to make it likely he begins the year in the minor leagues and burns an option.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

marcos diplan (could burn second option), trey supak (could burn first of three options) and aaron wilkerson (could burn second option) have all been optioned to the minor leagues.

any of these players will burn their options if they spend more than 20 days optioned in 2019.

Wilkerson is 29 almost 30, who had nearly no chance to crack to 25 man roster. How is this guy still on the 40 man roster. For him to be optioned this early is telling. He had only pitched 5.1 innings. Hard to believe they could evaluate him based on that.

He is definitely the 40 guy on the 40 man roster

mauricio dubon (could burn second option), troy stokes jr. (could burn first of three options) and tyrone taylor (could burn first of three options) have all been optioned to the minor leagues.

any of these players will burn their options if they spend more than 20 days optioned in 2019.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wilkerson is 29 almost 30, who had nearly no chance to crack to 25 man roster. How is this guy still on the 40 man roster. For him to be optioned this early is telling. He had only pitched 5.1 innings. Hard to believe they could evaluate him based on that.

He is definitely the 40 guy on the 40 man roster

I think Wilkerson is probably the first player dropped as soon as they need a 40-man spot. The upside just isn't there anymore, and he's probably sitting 9th or 10th at the most in the rotation pecking order. I would think there's a very strong possibility that he makes it through waivers if they are interested in hanging onto him.

I think Wilkerson is probably the first player dropped as soon as they need a 40-man spot.

bobby wahl is a candidate for the 60-day injured list.

assuming jacob nottingham is optioned and no other catchers open the season on the major league disabled list, one of manny pina or erik kratz will be outrighted off the 40-man roster (assuming the brewers carry only two catchers on the 25-man).

I looked through the active roster today. It looks like the position players are pretty much set once they are down to 2 catchers. By my count there are 34 on the active roster so 9 need to go. Two of those will most likely be catchers, so your down to 7 cuts. I think it's safe to assume Wahl, Jeffress, and Nelson start the year on the DL, so that would leave 4 spots that need to be trimmed.

If they decide Saladino and Spangenberg are redundant that one of them could go.

Otherwise you need to send down 4 out of Perralta, Houser, Barnes, Petricka, and Albers.

If a non-roster like Tomlin makes it then all of the above could go down or a Anderson type starter traded away...

adrian houser and jacob nottingham optioned. houser, regardless of the amount of time spent optioned this year, will burn his fourth option. nottingham, if optioned more than 20 days, will burn his second option.

They've said they'll start the year w/ 13 pitchers.

- Seventeen pitchers currently left on the 40-man, but Wahl & Jeffress are bound to join Suter on the DL.

- That means 2 cuts are coming, 3 if Tomlin's earning a roster spot.

- Otherwise only Deolis Guerra and Jay Jackson remain from the NRI pitcher pool.

13 pitchers means 12 position players and there's no way NRI guys Ray, Orf, Hiura, Erceg, & Gosewisch beat out any of the 40-man guys.

- Fifteen position players currently left on the 40-man.

- One cut will be the 3rd catcher (likely Kratz unless there's an injury).

- That tickets both Spangenberg (last option available) & Saladino (would have to clear waivers since he's previously been outrighted) for AAA UNLESS the unforeseen happens and they cut or trade Perez.

Other factors:

- Stearns, like Melvin, has a history of picking up someone another team cuts. Seems less likely this year, but not out of the realm of possibility.

- It's also possible Stearns trades someone who may be high-priced for a potentially limited role (Anderson, Thames) who fits another team's needs enough for them to give up a respectable return for one or both of them.

- Who knows if Keuchel or Kimbrel -- the only potential needle-movers left among FAs -- sign here, but however unlikely it seems, the seemingly 1% chance one of them signs is still a possibility until they're signed elsewhere. Of course, if Stearns trades both Thames & Anderson, then we have more room to absorb a higher (but not absurd) salary to take their roster/payroll space.

- That tickets both Spangenberg (last option available) & Saladino (would have to clear waivers since he's previously been outrighted) for AAA UNLESS the unforeseen happens and they cut or trade Perez.

saladino can be placed on optional or outright assignment in 2019, as he has one option remaining and has never been outrighted.