Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

Leaving spots open (or with expendable players) leaves flexibility for later. Better to leave a guy like Gatewood exposed to the Rule 5 draft if you think he has only a small chance of getting picked than to find themselves needing to expose him to waivers to make room for an offseason acquisition.

And I have a feeling that extra spot would have gone to QTC if not for the injury.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the down side of protecting a guy like OTC(or now that he isn't protected for another team to claim him) on the 40 man and then immediately moving him to the 60 day DL or can you not use the 60 day DL in the off season?

If you can't then I can answer my own question.....the downside is roster flexibility regarding signing guys or making trades.

What is the down side of protecting a guy like OTC(or now that he isn't protected for another team to claim him) on the 40 man and then immediately moving him to the 60 day DL or can you not use the 60 day DL in the off season?

If you can't then I can answer my own question.....the downside is roster flexibility regarding signing guys or making trades.

QTC would be similar to Dubon after his injury, if QTC was added by the Brewers he wouldn't be put on the 60 day DL but would still be taking up a precious 40 man spot all season.

QTC would be similar to Dubon after his injury, if QTC was added by the Brewers he wouldn't be put on the 60 day DL but would still be taking up a precious 40 man spot all season.

All off-season he would take up a spot. Once the season starts he would be put on the 60 day DL.

All off-season he would take up a spot. Once the season starts he would be put on the 60 day DL.

No, the Brewers have shown they won't do that.

No, the Brewers have shown they won't do that.

Never said would or wouldn't. Simply pointing out what they are allowed to do.

I'm pretty disappointed that they didn't take Saladino and Cedeno off the 40-man and add Olczak and Ponce.

Especially Olczak, who might have a pretty good chance of being a piece in the Brewer's bullpen shuffle. I still think there is still #4 starter potential in Ponce and IMO is worth a back-end spot on the 40-man roster. No doubt the Brewers probably are looking at Ponce like Tyrone Taylor last year. Here's a guy coming off a mediocre season and doesn't have front-line MLB player potential. Leave him exposed and if you lose him, it's not like you are losing a future All-Star. He comes back and can prove himself worthy of a 40-man spot the following season. I would have added Ponce now but certainly can understand why the Brewers didn't.

Cedeno is out of options so if the team offers him arbitration, it's basically making a full season commitment as they really have no flexibility to send him up and down. IMO Cedeno is just a guy. He has just over five years of MLB experience and has pitched with five different MLB teams. Getting him off the roster saves the team an estimated 1.5 million and gives them money to spend elsewhere. Saladino does have one option left, so I can't argue with keeping him around as the Brewers would have roster flexibility with him and he does provide excellent position versatility.

I really don't think this causes any roster inflexibility. Example, if they sign a catcher then just take Kratz off the 40-man. Then they have the new catcher and Pina, and Nottingham should provide a pretty decent insurance policy. They really don't have a major infield opening if they offer Schoop arbitration, but if they don't offer him arbitration then he's off the 40-man which clears a roster spot for his replacement. In terms of pitching, Wilkerson is still on the 40-man and it don't think anyone would lose too much sleep if the just released Albers and ate the money that he has coming. Broxton is out of options and they might have a real tough time keeping him through next season. I think there is plenty of roster flexibility remaining even if the Brewers would have added a couple more minor leaguers to the 40-man roster.

As a side note, I wouldn't have added Gatewood. Not just because of the injury, but I really question if he has the offensive package to stick in the MLB as a first baseman. I really like Torres-Costa, but with the injury I just can't see another team drafting him. But I would have really liked to see them add Olczak and, to a lesser extent, Ponce.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya I think a LOOGY without an option isn’t great bet to last a full 162 on the roster given how the Brewers use their pen.

Jennings was used quite a bit in the first half as a conventional reliever. He wasn’t great against righties, but he was pretty effective overall.

I think this was a roster crunch consideration more than just a financial decision. (Broth DJ and XC were projected for ~$1.5 mm in arbi)

It will be interesting to see what Stearns does now with 4 open roster spots and an additional one opening up during Spring Training when Suter goes on the 60 day DL. Anticipate a lot of waiver claims the next couple of months, especially if he finds a lefty with options.

Does anyone know what Stearns meant when he said that Shaw back at third would be a "default scenerio"?

I would imagine all he meant was that Shaw as our full time 3rd baseman going into 2019 is the tentative plan barring some acquisitions that are unforeseen at this point in time.

Does anyone know what Stearns meant when he said that Shaw back at third would be a "default scenerio"?

Sounds like putting Shaw back to third isn’t his top choice and that he would like to see him remain at second base. To me, it sounds like he’s looking at someone else to play third base, which I am all for. The lineup needs a shakeup since they were still fairly inconsistent this past season.

i'm trying to remember when the brewers had so many players in a single off-season non-tendered. three seems quite high. granted, the number of arbitration-eligible players is quite high this off-season.

with the removal of xavier cedeno, dan jennings and jonathan schoop, the roster is at 36.

Sounds like putting Shaw back to third isn’t his top choice and that he would like to see him remain at second base. To me, it sounds like he’s looking at someone else to play third base, which I am all for. The lineup needs a shakeup since they were still fairly inconsistent this past season.

I don't think that's what it means. The plan was for Schoop to be the 2B in 2019 had he shown anything at all. I just think he's got the door open for Moustakas to return for much less than he thinks he can get in FA. Personally I don't think Moustakas is going to get anywhere near the mutual option amount he turned down. I also think they are targeting Dietrich, and while he's played a lot of 2B. he might be slightly better at 3rd. A .949 career FP at 3B is pretty close to league average.

It doesn't mean it's his preference in my opinion. It just means they'll do that unless some better option comes along, which basically means they plan to put Shaw back at 3B but they're flexible if they find a 3B who can improve the team by keeping Shaw's bat at 2B.

Personally I can live with Shaw at 2B against RHP's. His bat isn't much of a plus at 3B, but it's huge at 2B. The shifts and the presence of Arcia make it something you can live with on defense.

"Default scenario" doesn't imply anything negative. It means that's the plan, the operating assumption, UNLESS something comes along that creates an improvement on that existing plan.

We know Shaw's defense is better at 3B than 2B, not that he was anything poor at 2B either. 3B is Shaw's strength and that's why he's "the guy" there.

I think the only reason it changes is if the best 3B option available is more valuable/realistic/whatever than the best 2B option, to the point where they acquire that new 3B knowing they're comfortable enough to move Shaw to 2B.

Of course Shaw can also play 1B (probably more comfortably than 2B), as he'd done that in a few spots before, which may also be an option at least for a while in injury circumstances.