Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewers picked up the Jeffress option and declined Lyles

No surprise at all on Jeffress. He's a bargain.

Lyles is a pretty big surprise to me, though. He profiles perfectly as a multi-inning reliever, and showed well in his limited opportunities as a Brewer. If they were going to go the "initial out-getter" route again, he made a ton of sense.

I don't think they are going there though. I think that you'll still see several guys in the pen capable of going multiple innings, but I also think they are going to make a concerted effort to get more length out of their starters in 2019. Especially if they are serious about putting Woodruff and Burnes in the rotation.

If Lyles has options, I think they would have picked up his option. They need a few spots open with guys that can be optioned up and down throughout the season.

I don’t think they really wanted to pay him $3m either, but overall that’s a strong point. Outside of payroll considerations, they have just 25 roster spots. Lyles is fine, but offers no flexibility in the last spot of the bullpen. Going to need the tripe A express again in 2019.

and it keeps moving down but two spots needed for Nelson and Suter?

I could see not keeping Suter on the 40 man, as he won't be available at all in 2019, and who knows how good he would be in 2020.

I could see Suter non-tendered, then signing a minors deal to stay in the organization during his rehab. He'll be given every opportunity to come back at the end of 2019 or 2020.

brent suter and jimmy nelson reinstated from the 60-day disabled list. the roster is at 37.

stephen vogt was also activated from the 60-day dl, but outrighted off the 40-man roster and he declared free agency.

I imagine Suter's roster spot is precarious at best. Really too bad he got hurt, because his profile is a good fit for a role either as a short starter or as a multi-inning bullpen arm. I hope he makes it back.

• 3 weeks later...

The timing of the Rule 5 eligibility deadline is just ridiculous.

Does this mean players like Xavier Cedeno and Tyler Saladino are locks to be offered arbitration since they are still on the 40 man roster and now-Rule 5 eligible players like Jon Olczak and Cody Ponce are not?

Doesn't make sense to not add Gatewood and use all 40 spots. I would hope that the brewers are in a position where they would not need to use a rule V pick on their roster. Also, while there isn't a lot of dead weight on the 40 anymore, I would argue that I would rather keep a player like Gatewood with some upside over an Aaron Wilkerson.

Doesn't make sense to not add Gatewood and use all 40 spots. I would hope that the brewers are in a position where they would not need to use a rule V pick on their roster. Also, while there isn't a lot of dead weight on the 40 anymore, I would argue that I would rather keep a player like Gatewood with some upside over an Aaron Wilkerson.

I don’t mind, like Gatewood but you have to be a 100 lose team to take a chance on a bat like Gatewood. He is not ready. I don’t know how it works with injuries but tore ACL in July/August as a position player probably keeps him out to June. They can’t just add him & throw him on 60 day correct?

Bigger story I think is how all those trades last year impact our situation this off season! Handful of those prospects just got added. We would have had some real tough calls

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I don’t mind, like Gatewood but you have to be a 100 lose team to take a chance on a bat like Gatewood. He is not ready. I don’t know how it works with injuries but tore ACL in July/August as a position player probably keeps him out to June. They can’t just add him & throw him on 60 day correct?

Bigger story I think is how all those trades last year impact our situation this off season! Handful of those prospects just got added. We would have had some real tough calls

Yes, a R5 selection can be put on the DL (either regular or 60 day version). However, time spent on the DL does not count toward the number of days a R5 selection needs to be on the active roster in order to fully control the player and not have to offer him back (before sending him to the minors).

I agree with you that I don’t think Gatewood would be selected. My only point was there were at least a couple of guys that could be removed from the 40 pretty easily. Also, yes the trades at the deadline really made decisions today easier.

The timing of the Rule 5 eligibility deadline is just ridiculous.

Does this mean players like Xavier Cedeno and Tyler Saladino are locks to be offered arbitration since they are still on the 40 man roster and now-Rule 5 eligible players like Jon Olczak and Cody Ponce are not?

No, not at all. Apples & oranges. Some teams just choose to get the non-tender thing out of the way now. They have 10 more days 'til that Nov. 30th deadline. Also, players offered arbitration can decline it, although that doesn't seem to happen that often because it changes a definite (though somewhat non-guaranteed) salary to an uncertain one from the player's standpoint.

Not offering arbitration later opens roster spots for FAs, creates roster flexibility for trades, etc. No doubt they'll fill most/all empty spots by spring training, possibly through multiple types of moves.