Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

jake thompson acquired from the phillies and optioned to colorado springs. thompson has burned his second option this year, and will enter 2019 spring training with one option remaining.

alec asher was designated for assignment to make room on the 40-man. if the brewers wish to outright asher to the minor leagues, he has the right to refuse the assignment and become a free agent.

the 40-man roster remains at capacity.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alec asher was designated for assignment to make room on the 40-man. if the brewers wish to outright asher to the minor leagues, he has the right to refuse the assignment and become a free agent.

no team claimed asher when the brewers attempted to outright him to the minor leagues. because he was outrighted by the club earlier this season, asher reserves the right to refuse this minor league assignment and become a free agent.

important to note: a player optioned must stay in the minor leagues for at least 10 days(unless recalled to replace an injured player or player put on the paternity / bereavement list), or until the conclusion of that club's minor league season--whichever comes first.

the minor league season ends 3 september, so as of yesterday's optioning of zach davies and corey knebel, the requisite 10 days would occur first.

however, if the brewers option more players in the coming days, they need to factor that the biloxi shuckers are postseason-bound, which extends their season. the sky sox are in the hunt for the postseason. the timber rattlers are likely not post-season bound.

thus, if more players are going to be optioned before the end of august, you'll likely see them optioned to the timber rattlers, as their season will most likely end 3 september.

important to note: a player optioned must stay in the minor leagues for at least 10 days(unless recalled to replace an injured player or player put on the paternity / bereavement list), or until the conclusion of that club's minor league season--whichever comes first.

the minor league season ends 3 september, so as of yesterday's optioning of zach davies and corey knebel, the requisite 10 days would occur first.

however, if the brewers option more players in the coming days, they need to factor that the biloxi shuckers are postseason-bound, which extends their season. the sky sox are in the hunt for the postseason. the timber rattlers are likely not post-season bound.

thus, if more players are going to be optioned before the end of august, you'll likely see them optioned to the timber rattlers, as their season will most likely end 3 september.

Let's say that September 3 game for whatever team gets rained out and needs to be played because of playoff implications. Is September 3 still the date or is it whenever the last team game is played?

i would assume final game of the season--including a makeup game. that's why it's important for one of the minor league clubs to not qualify for the postseason.

the timber rattlers likely will not, with elimination number of 7. their remaining opponents have elimination numbers of 4, 11 and 11 respectively, so it's possible that their final opponent, kane county, be involved in meaningful baseball.

the mudcats have an elimination number of 1, and as soon as they lose a game, or the buies creek astros win one, the mudcats' final series will not have playoff implications.

i would assume final game of the season--including a makeup game. that's why it's important for one of the minor league clubs to not qualify for the postseason.

the timber rattlers likely will not, with elimination number of 7. their remaining opponents have elimination numbers of 4, 11 and 11 respectively, so it's possible that their final opponent, kane county, be involved in meaningful baseball.

the mudcats have an elimination number of 1, and as soon as they lose a game, or the buies creek astros win one, the mudcats' final series will not have playoff implications.

the mudcats have been eliminated, so any player optioned to that club could be recalled 4 september (the day after their season ends), even though that's less than 10 days from now.

aaron brooks had his contract selected, and ariel hernandez was dfa'd and later outrighted to the minor leagues. brooks was later designated for assignment himself. if outrighted, brooks has the right to refuse the minor league assignment.

nate orf was outrighted to the minor leagues. he has to accept the assignment.

the brewers have seven days to decide what to do with jake thompson after designating him for assignment. if they successfully outright thompson, he will be forced to accept the minor league assignment.

xavier cedeno, gio gonzalez and curtis granderson fill out the 40-man roster via trades. cedeno has one more year of club control and is out of minor league options. gonzalez and granderson will be free agents at season's end.

aaron brooks traded to oakland to cash. jake thompson remains in the brewers' organization as he has been outrighted to the minor leagues.

This is good news. Thompson has the type of arm that you want to keep in the organization. If they can get his command under control, he could be a solid pen asset next year.

alec asher did accept the outright assignment. he will be a minor league free agent at the end of this season.

Is the same true for Jake Thompson, i.e he'll also be a minor league free agent after the season (unless added to the roster)?

Also, they have seemingly both played in parts of 7 minor league seasons, and so would be minor league FAs at the end of the season in any situation where they were not on a 40-man roster at the end of the season, correct? Would the same be true of a player with, say, 4 years of minor league service time? As in, is it inherent in being outrighted that you become a minor league FA, or is it down to their minor league service time?

because the sky sox season has ended, the 10-day requisite stay for optioned players need no longer apply if the mlb commissioner approves the recall of the player.

thus, freddy peralta and taylor williams could be candidates for recall as soon as today.

I've been sort of following the Sky Sox the last week or so to see if they would make the playoffs. The pitchers they've been putting out there are terrible and makes me wonder if Stearns and company manipulated their roster to make sure they missed the playoffs so the Brewers could have all their players available ASAP.

Also saw Dillard finished their final game and got an AB. Wonder if he's finally decided to call it a career.

I've been sort of following the Sky Sox the last week or so to see if they would make the playoffs. The pitchers they've been putting out there are terrible and makes me wonder if Stearns and company manipulated their roster to make sure they missed the playoffs so the Brewers could have all their players available ASAP.

Also saw Dillard finished their final game and got an AB. Wonder if he's finally decided to call it a career.

I would think if they were that concerned about getting them back asap, they just would have sent them to another minor league team that had no chance at the playoffs.

I don't think they were just throwing guys out to lose, they just don't have as many guys down there anymore in the first place (Brooks traded, and Woodruff, Davies planned to be up). And everyone they put out there seemed to get shelled. Wilkerson, Derby, Houser and Peralta all pitched multiple innings over the last four days of season.

Edited by Roderick

because the sky sox season has ended, the 10-day requisite stay for optioned players need no longer apply if the mlb commissioner approves the recall of the player.

thus, freddy peralta and taylor williams could be candidates for recall as soon as today.

According to Adam McCalvy they have to stay 10 days now after the most recent CBA but I can't find the particular rule where it states that.

According to Adam McCalvy they have to stay 10 days now after the most recent CBA but I can't find the particular rule where it states that.

it appears you're correct. the source on mlb.com that i have been citing was from 2016.

i wonder who pushed for this change. from a player's perspective, it may give a club pause in optioning a guy towards the end of august knowing that he's hands off for 10 days, but from the club's perspective, they have up to 15 guys to choose from to absorb the workload of that optioned player as soon as 1 september (plus any outside acquisition in late august).

taylor williams will be burning his second option and will enter 2019 spring training with one option remaining. if under the previous collective bargaining agreement, he wouldn't be forced to burn that second option.

Doesn't a team NOT BURN an option on a player if they're not down for 20 days? Wasn't this how Broxton still had an option remaining going into this year even though he was optioned for the 3rd year in 2017?

• 1 month later...

Tell me about Q Torres-Costa and how he will be rostered next season.

If he is placed on the 60 day DL he will not use up a 40 man roster spot nor will he use an option, but he will accrue an entire year of MLB service time. Alternatively, they could burn an option year and keep him in the MilB DL where he would not accrue any service time but would take up a spot on the 40 man roster.

Is this correct, and what are the Brewers likely to do?

Also: When is the Rule 5 draft? Is that also the first important deadline for these types of 40 man roster decisions?

EDIT: I see the tiny print above is being discussed in the Minor League forum. I should have checked there first.

Edited by Oxy

Tell me about Q Torres-Costa and how he will be rostered next season.

If he is placed on the 60 day DL he will not use up a 40 man roster spot nor will he use an option, but he will accrue an entire year of MLB service time. Alternatively, they could burn an option year and keep him in the MilB DL where he would not accrue any service time but would take up a spot on the 40 man roster.

Is this correct, and what are the Brewers likely to do?

He is not on the 40 man roster. Since he just had TJ surgery, it is very likely the brewers do not add him and risk losing him to the Rule 5. If a team selects him, they will have to keep him on the 60 man DL all of 2019 and then he needs to stay on their 25 man roster in 2020 in order to keep him. QTC has never been considered a top prospect so its hard to believe a team would do that, but I suppose it could happen. I think they risk exposing him to the draft.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

tyrone taylor has his contract selected by the brewers and will enter 2019 spring training with three minor league options.

the roster is at 38.

Tyrone Taylor. Who would have thought he'd get to this point. He's mostly been forgotten.

We'll see how he does this year outside of Colorado.

2018 Home OPS: 1.016

2018 Road OPS: .635

Count me skeptical - but hey, the club knows more than I do. He's only 25, so perhaps he can be a late bloomer.

No matter - good for Tyrone. I hope he rakes and makes us take notice.