Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think the writing is on the wall for numerous moves in the next 24 hours.

Cain is almost certain to return so that means one move for sure. Broxton going back down is logical, but they could DL Braun if they think it's going to be an ongoing lingering thing especially since he hasn't been playing well anyway. It would be odd to PH him in a 4 run game and then DL him, though.

Wilkerson was likely to go back down anyway after today. It just doesn't make much sense to keep him up.

Lopez went 2 innings, so if history follows suit he usually goes back down after such a game. I would have thought that means Houser returns tomorrow, but he pitched as scheduled for Colorado Springs tonight, so that's probably out.

I can't fathom that Zagurski is still on the 40 man roster tomorrow. But I wouldn't have imagined he'd get a second chance so I have no idea at this point.

I'll be trying to connect the dots after the Sky Sox game tonight but all I can conclude so far is that Houser isn't coming up. Asher seems really unlikely too after going 6 yesterday.

So besides Cain I'd say that Woodruff seems like he's coming up tomorrow, with any of Burnes, Ramirez, or Torres-Costa having a very good chance of having their contract selected for the 40 man tomorrow.

Nottingham didn't play yesterday. I wonder if he, too, was on a plane bound for Milwaukee? Nottingham and Burnes up would be exciting.

Bam!

I like every one of these moves. Kind of a bummer Pina is hurt, though, considering he's been hitting better of late, and his defense is always rock solid. Excited to see what Nottingham can do in an extended audition, though. Could make Kratz expendable once Pina is back. Also excited to see another power arm in the pen in Burnes. Get Houser back up soon, and Albers back off the DL, and I REALLY like the look of this pen.

the ramifications of today's moves . . .

mike zagurski designated for assignment. the club has seven days to trade, release or outright zagurski to the minors. if zagurski goes unclaimed, he has the right to refuse the minor league assignment and become a free agent.

nate orf recalled to replace one of the two players put on the disabled list (take your pick of ryan braun or manny pina). orf would have been required to spend the requisite 10 days optioned to the minors. as of now, he has spent less than 20 days optioned to the minor leagues, so he has not burned his first of three options.

corbin burnes has his contract selected. he has three options intact.

the roster is at 39 players. indications are that the brewers plan to activate wade miley from the 60-day disabled list later this week, so that open spot could be held open for him.

I don't see a lot of changes happening. Wilkerson for sure will be sent down to activate Cain and probably Lopez for a BP arm. We'd all love big Z to go but I'm not sure it will happen yet. The mere fact that he was called up says they see something in him and they seem to give guys long leashes of failure before cutting bait.

I was wrong on many accounts.

40 man roster really is loaded. Not much old baggage left. When Miley comes off the 60 this week, he will take up the last open spot. Kratz will probably be DFA'd when Pina comes off but after that you are down to Asher, Wilkerson, and then maybe Lopez. Any new additions will be painful. I think if we trade for anyone we will be sending back someone off our 40 man. Lopez, Houser, Diplan, Barnes, Broxton, or Phillips are my guess

40 man roster really is loaded. Not much old baggage left. When Miley comes off the 60 this week, he will take up the last open spot. Kratz will probably be DFA'd when Pina comes off but after that you are down to Asher, Wilkerson, and then maybe Lopez. Any new additions will be painful. I think if we trade for anyone we will be sending back someone off our 40 man. Lopez, Houser, Diplan, Barnes, Broxton, or Phillips are my guess

Wilkerson is a guy I think they probably want to hang onto especially if they plan on trading Woodruff. Kratz really needs to pick it up before Pina gets back if he doesn't want to be a 40 casualty. The easy decision is to option Nottingham, but it could get a lot harder.

I agree there's not much dead weight on the 40. Fortunately for everyone, there's already an open spot for Miley and Nelson is still far off. I'd say Asher's seat is probably hottest. Orf could probably afford to step up a bit.

We almost certainly are going to be trading people from our 40 man before this deadline is over. This offseason a whole slew of players are going to need protecting from the Rule 5. Ortiz, Kodi, Kirby, Torres-Costa... amongst others. Stearns has a surplus and I would be willing to bet he offloads some of it to help with our run at it this season.

I'd say Asher's seat is probably hottest. Orf could probably afford to step up a bit.

Agreed. Between Asher, Orf, and Kratz (when Pina healthy) each are on the bubble at all times.

I don't see the Brewers risking Wilkerson or Lopez this season.

We almost certainly are going to be trading people from our 40 man before this deadline is over. This offseason a whole slew of players are going to need protecting from the Rule 5. Ortiz, Kodi, Kirby, Torres-Costa... amongst others. Stearns has a surplus and I would be willing to bet he offloads some of it to help with our run at it this season.

I see trades for 40 man guys, like you say, or the guys that would have to be put on the 40 man after the season. Either way, the crunch would be minimized if we trade for rentals.

Thames and Guerra to DL, activate Suter and call up Orf, Wilkerson the 26th person.

They must really have soured on Phillips if Perez and Orf are the backup OFs. That being said, I think Perez graded out as their best OF last year - he's a better OF than many think.

Get Santana back up here and start playing him.... need we go down this road with Broxton and Perez? Santana was very good with us last season and surprise, we take away his at bats and he struggles. He has opportunity to get those at bats again and for some reason we think he isn't better than Perez or Broxton?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Get Santana back up here and start playing him.... need we go down this road with Broxton and Perez? Santana was very good with us last season and surprise, we take away his at bats and he struggles. He has opportunity to get those at bats again and for some reason we think he isn't better than Perez or Broxton?

He was terrible with the Brewers, and he’s been terrible at Colorado Springs. We don’t need an outfielder who hits slap singles only and plays poor defense. Leave him there until he figures out how to drive the ball again.

He was terrible with the Brewers, and he’s been terrible at Colorado Springs. We don’t need an outfielder who hits slap singles only and plays poor defense. Leave him there until he figures out how to drive the ball again.

He has a higher ceiling than our scrap up here now. His numbers aren't great, granted. The lack of power is concerning, but his OBP is good.... .373. With our mounting injuries, his time is coming again.

I take back what I said about lack of dead weight. Wilkerson and Orf are dead weight.

I'm glad Orf got a shot and has a baseball to show his grandkids one day that he hit for a homerun at Miller Park as a professional ballplayer. But that's where it needs to end.

I feel like the “#FreeNateOrf” people should apologize. (Half blue)
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 2 weeks later...