Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

Nelson was placed on 60 day DL. Is that retroactive to a spring training date? Not sure how that works.

Its back to the day that he went on the 10 day DL. Think I read on MLBTR that was March 25. Either way, its just before June before being eligible for activation.

All that said, Nelson can still start a 30 day rehab assignment while on the 60 day DL...

EDIT: I just went & reviewed MLBTR again. I guess I was recalling a different person with a 3/25 DL date, hence the strikethrough...

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

j.j. hoover has his contract selected. to make room on the 25-man roster, brandon woodruff was optioned. if woodruff spends more than 20 days optioned, he will burn his second option.

to make room for hoover on the 40-man, tyler webb was designated for assignment. if the brewers outright him to the minor leagues, he will not have burned his 2018 (second option).

hoover is out of minor league options. the 40-man roster remains full.

of note: after today's game, any player optioned in spring training will have met the 10-day minimum requirement to stay optioned to the minor leagues. thus, it will not take an injury to bring someone up to start wednesday's game.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2018/04/07/brewers-send-down-starter-brandon-woodruff-summon-reliever-j-j-hoover-minors/480582002/

From the JS:

Hoover and Taylor Williams were the last relievers cut at the end of spring training. Williams was not eligible to be recalled because he was optioned to Colorado Springs and had not been down 10 days. Hoover was on a minor-league contract and therefore did not fall under that restriction.

That doesn't make any sense. Weren't Houser and Williams in the same boat: neither one down 10 days, but either one could have been recalled because they were replacing an injured player? Or was Houser's option on an earlier date?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2018/04/07/brewers-send-down-starter-brandon-woodruff-summon-reliever-j-j-hoover-minors/480582002/

From the JS:

Hoover and Taylor Williams were the last relievers cut at the end of spring training. Williams was not eligible to be recalled because he was optioned to Colorado Springs and had not been down 10 days. Hoover was on a minor-league contract and therefore did not fall under that restriction.

That doesn't make any sense. Weren't Houser and Williams in the same boat: neither one down 10 days, but either one could have been recalled because they were replacing an injured player? Or was Houser's option on an earlier date?

Houser replaced injured Knebel, so he was not subject to the 10 day rule. I think.

I see. So Williams could have been recalled yesterday instead of Houser, but not today instead of Hoover.

correct. disadvantage to williams was that he had pitched the day before. houser had yet to pitch in the young minor league season.

technically, hoover was not recalled. he had his contract selected. only players optioned to the minor leagues can be recalled.

Verified Member
When they DFA'd Tyler Webb, do they have to expose him to waivers before he gets reassigned? I wouldn't think it would matter in Webb's case, but I am just curious how the process works.

Short leash for Woodruff, but probably more a product of needing fresh bullpen arms. Guessing Guerra comes up to take the next start in the 5th spot?

Looks like Woodruff, Guerra, and Suter will be rotating in the 4-5 spots. Guessing if Guerra pitches well and Suter struggles the next couple starts, we'll see Woodruff up and Suter down in 10 days.

When they DFA'd Tyler Webb, do they have to expose him to waivers before he gets reassigned? I wouldn't think it would matter in Webb's case, but I am just curious how the process works.

yes. and if he were to clear waivers, because this would be the first time that a club would wishing to outright him off the 40-man roster to the minor leagues, he would be forced to accept the minor league assignment and remain property of the brewers.

Poor Houser. "Good work, you did your job and ate up a couple innings! Unfortunately that means you won't be available for a couple days so we're replacing you with someone who will be."

Smart though, they could probably float an extra bullpen arm all year between Williams, Houser, Lopez, and Peralta.

I think they want him stretched out don’t they?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Poor Houser. "Good work, you did your job and ate up a couple innings! Unfortunately that means you won't be available for a couple days so we're replacing you with someone who will be."

Smart though, they could probably float an extra bullpen arm all year between Williams, Houser, Lopez, and Peralta.

Agreed, smart roster management. I'll predict Lopez is next, and either him or Williams gets sent out to make room for Guerra Wednesday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

j.j. hoover designated for assignment. brett phillips optioned.

junior guerra and jorge lopez both recalled. if either guerra or lopez spend the rest of the season with the club or on the major league disabled list, each will preserve their sole remaining option, as they will have spent less than 20 days optioned.

the roster is at 39 players.

yes. and if he were to clear waivers, because this would be the first time that a club would wishing to outright him off the 40-man roster to the minor leagues, he would be forced to accept the minor league assignment and remain property of the brewers.

tyler webb does not clear waivers, as san diego claimed him today. if they wish, they can option him to the minor leagues in his second option year.