Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i believe that while a trade may be official, 40-man roster status is in limbo until each player clears covid intake with the big league club or the alternate training site.

orlando arcia traded to the atlanta braves for rhp chad sobotka and rhp patrick weigel. both were on optional assignment with the braves in their final option years, and will remain on optional assignment with the alternate training site.

when both pitchers clear intake, the 40-man roster will be at capacity.

the brewers select the contract of brad boxberger. he is out of minor league options.

to make room on the 40-man, justin topa was transferred to the 60-day injured list.

the 40-man roster is at capacity.

kolten wong is placed on the 10-day injured list with a left oblique strain.

jace peterson has his contract selected by the brewers. he is out of minor league options, and has been outrighted to the minor leagues before.

to make room on the 40-man roster, bobby wahl was transferred to the 60-day injured list.

the 40-man roster remains at capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

the brewers activated jacob nottingham from the 10-day injured list and designated him for assignment. the club has seven days to release, trade or try to outright nottingham to the minor leagues. if he clears outright waivers, he will be forced to accept the minor league assignment.

the roster is at 39 players.

the brewers selected the contract of pablo reyes. he has two minor league options remaining.

to make room on the 26-man roster, corey ray was placed on optional assignment to the alternate training site. ray must spend the requisite 10 days on optional assignment unless replacing an injured player. he would also be eligible as the 27th man in a doubleheader or to replace a player on a temporary leave list.

the brewers selected the contract of zack godley. he is out of minor league options and has been outrighted to the minor leagues before.

to make room on the 40-man roster, phil bickford (on optional assignment) was designated for assignment. the brewers have seven days to trade, release, or try to outright bickford to the minor leagues.

I like to think I'm a pretty big Brewers fan (I am posting here, after all), but holy heck is it hard keeping up with who's on the roster and who these guys are - especially because it's all happening in April.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I believe we are down to 4 players who are not on the active roster or IL (though File is injured right?). Feliciano, File, Ray, Sobotka.

yes, those are the only four currently on optional assignment.

dylan file is unavailable due to injury. corey ray, optioned yesterday, must spend at least 10 days on optional assignment unless replacing a player placed on the injured list or a temporary leave list, or serving as the 27th man of a doubleheader.

thus, really only two players on the 40-man who are "available" right now.

corbin burnes has been placed on the injured list for an undisclosed reason. if it's covid-related, his spot opens up on the 40-man roster.

the 40-man roster might be at 39.

corbin burnes' injury list placement is indeed covid-related. he is removed from the 40-man roster.

jordan zimmermann has his contract selected. he has two minor league options remaining, but enough service time to refuse the optional assignment.

in an unusual move, the brewers recalled a player (dylan file) on optional assignment and immediately placed him on the 60-day injured list. file will begin to earn major league salary and major league service time.

this created a spot for the re-acquired jacob nottingham. nottingham is out of minor league options, but has never been outrighted to the minor leagues. thus, he cannot refuse a minor league assignment if he happens to clear outright waivers.

So am I mistaken, or did File just go from a minor league salary to a major league one and start accumulating MLB service time from a procedural move?

that's exactly what happened. and i'm hard-pressed to remember the brewers ever making such a move.

it's also worth noting that every other player on the injured list is earning major league salary and accumulating service time, and the brewers are obviously paying the major league salaries of the 26 active guys.

So, I'm assuming the Brewers replace Bettinger and Zimmerman on the roster tomorrow. Is Sobotko the only pitcher option left on the 40? Who's next to add to the 40 and 26? Clayton Andrew's?

Or do we just go with less pitchers for awhile by activating OFs?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

zack godley has been activated from the 10-day injured list and designated for assignment. the club has seven days to trade, release or try to outright him to the minors. if he clears outright waivers, he has the right to refuse the minor league assignment.

the roster is at 39 players, with corbin burnes still not part of the 40-man roster.

the brewers designated jacob nottingham for assignment. the club has seven days to release, trade or try to outright nottingham to the minor leagues. if he clears outright waivers, he will be forced to accept the minor league assignment.

the brewers activated corbin burnes from the special covid-19 injured list, returning him to the 40-man roster.

the roster is at 38 players.

the brewers trade two players on major league contracts to the tampa bay rays, and acquire two players on major league contracts.

willy adames has one minor league option remaining. trevor richards has already burned his final option this year, but can be sent out on optional assignment again this year.

the roster is at 39 players.

billy mckinney has been designated for assignment. the club has seven days to trade, release or try to outright him to the minors. if he clears outright waivers, he will be forced to accept the minor league assignment.

the roster is at 38 players.