Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

even though the brewers had until after the world series to activate players from the 60-day disabled list and return them to the 40-man, the brewers opted to act sooner with rymer liriano. but rather than adding him back to a full 40-man, they tried to outright him to the minor leagues. instead, he was claimed by the white sox.

the 40-man remains full with three players still on the 60-day disabled list.

-----

Continued from:

viewtopic.php?p=1008697#p1008697

Original Lead:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=30350

Edited by 1992casey
split topic to maintain board performance

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cecchini, Elmore, Wilkins and Nolin were also removed.

As noted here, all four will be free agents five days after the World Series, barring a re-sign.

So technically the 40-man roster is down to 37 (and with Capuano and Barrios still on the 60-day DL), the actual list is at 39.

... although realistically, Capuano and Boyer will file for FA within a day of the Series ending, so it will functionally be right back at 37 pretty quickly barring further moves -- and more moves would seem to be a given with the number of young guys who need 40-man protection this winter.

I imagine there will be a few more guys to come off soon-ish. I have a difficult time seeing them carrying Rowen and Goforth through the offseason. Pinto probably goes too.

Will be interested to see what they do with Blazek. I'd remove him and see if he clears waivers then offer him a minor league deal.

What is it with people wanting to let Blazek go? There's no way he'd clear waivers, he's been dominant when healthy.

any team that claimed blazek could option him in 2017.

Are you saying he wasn't healthy when he compiled a 5.66 ERA and 1.911 WHIP last year and walked 27 batters in 41 innings? Then why was he out there? It's not a matter of wanting to let him go just that he was terrible in 2016 and he'll turn 28 next March. That doesn't scream secure spot on a roster to me but I could see them holding on to him if there's not a younger player they'd like to protect instead. It's not a clear call though.

I thought I remembered Blazek pitching pretty well after the brought him back from AAA and before he went on the DL. No denying, though, that he was lousy this year pre-AAA and never the same after he came off the DL.

Is Wily Peralta under club control through 2018, or 2019? Every reference I can find seems to indicate 2018, but based on his service time and long stint in the minors this year I tend to think he is actually likely to be arbitration controlled by the Brewers in 2019, but I may be mistaken.

Peralta's 8 week demotion to AAA cost him a year of service time. As of the end of 2016, he's at about 3 years and 159 days. So if he had been in Milwaukee for 14 more days this year, he would have surpassed 4 years of service time.

Not quite as bad as Taylor Jungmann, who I have as being 1 day short of a full year of service.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is Wily Peralta under club control through 2018, or 2019? Every reference I can find seems to indicate 2018, but based on his service time and long stint in the minors this year I tend to think he is actually likely to be arbitration controlled by the Brewers in 2019, but I may be mistaken.

Wily was on target to be a free agent after the 2018 season, but the time in minors this year appears to have delayed it a year. Some sites, like baseball-reference.com, just haven't updated service times and likely free agent status. Thus you are seeing the earlier date for free agency some places.

blaine boyer and chris capuano declare free agency, removing them from the roster. the roster is at 36, with yhonathan barrios still on the 60-man disabled list.

Barrios will need to be activated by 4pm CST on Monday the 7th. It's the same deadline as for submitting a qualifying offer and exercising options.

If he is outrighted off of the 40-man roster, he would (I believe) become a minor league free agent. Though maybe not, depending on how they treat his 2010 season.

What is it with people wanting to let Blazek go? There's no way he'd clear waivers, he's been dominant when healthy.

By healthy you mean 1yr? He was great in 2015 and April 2016 - he's been awful since and I know he was injured this past year but he still pitched and got rocked. I'm not opposed to keeping Blazek and seeing if he bounces back but if they feel they need a spot for someone they like then I can see them removing him, which is why I predicted he would be removed. Combined with the pen still in good shape as is assuming resignings - Thornburg, Barnes, Torres, Knebel, Marinez, Suter + possibly Magnifico, Lopez (if not given rotation shot) + I'm sure they'll sign a couple guys to compete for final spots. Marinez might even be removed from the 40 man. It's not a blow if both those guys are gone.

If Marinez is a mop-up guy at best, and if the Brewers think Marinez isn't worth keeping, I'd guess they're about 100x more likely to deal him and get a return than to lose him for nothing when claimed by another team on his way off the 40-man because the guy put up pretty respectable numbers.

Said slightly differently, if the Brewers believe his '16 results were fools' gold, then I think they'd trade him for an asset before other teams come to that conclusion rather than advertise their opinion by letting him go for nothing.

If Marinez is a mop-up guy at best, and if the Brewers think Marinez isn't worth keeping, I'd guess they're about 100x more likely to deal him and get a return than to lose him for nothing when claimed by another team on his way off the 40-man because the guy put up pretty respectable numbers.

Said slightly differently, if the Brewers believe his '16 results were fools' gold, then I think they'd trade him for an asset before other teams come to that conclusion rather than advertise their opinion by letting him go for nothing.

I can't see Marinez not being back. He's a low cost bullpen arm with upside if he can ever improve his walk rate. If they trade him, it won't be for nothing.

I can't see Marinez not being back. He's a low cost bullpen arm with upside if he can ever improve his walk rate. If they trade him, it won't be for nothing.

I agree. I was simply responding to comments earlier in the thread by someone suggesting Marinez as being someone who could be removed from the 40-man this winter. Given the year he had in 2016, his big arm, and his potential ceiling, I think the only way he's not on the Brewers' 40-man roster come spring training is if he's traded for a more appealing return, whether by himself or as part of a larger deal.