Brewer Fanatic

OF Rymer Liriano Claimed on Waivers by White Sox

Mass Haas

OF Rymer Liriano Claimed on Waivers by White Sox

Going all the way back to when Doug Melvin took over in the fall of 2002, the Brewers have lost 24 players on waivers, with nary a regret, hopefully Rymer isn't the first. Please excuse the layout of the text below:

Liriano , Rymer 2016-10-28 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Chicago (A)

Ramirez , Neil 2016-06-12 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Minnesota

Fields , Daniel 2015-12-07 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Los Angeles

Strong , Mike 2015-12-07 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Miami

Dominguez , Matt 2015-09-06 Lost on waivers Colorado Springs Toronto

Jimenez , Luis 2015-05-03 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Boston

Figaro , Alfredo 2014-10-02 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Texas

Falu , Irving 2014-06-26 Lost on waivers Nashville San Diego

Gamel , Mat 2013-10-03 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Chicago Cubs

Ransom , Cody 2012-08-31 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Arizona

Izturis , Cesar 2012-08-06 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Washington

Conrad , Brooks 2012-06-21 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Tampa Bay

Wheeler , Zelous 2012-03-29 Lost on waivers Nashville Baltimore

De La Cruz , Frankie 2012-03-16 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Chicago Cubs

Heether , Adam 2010-06-03 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Oakland

Iribarren , Hernan 2010-03-13 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Texas

Bourgeois , Jason 2009-10-26 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Houston

Swindle , R.J. 2009-08-07 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Tampa Bay

Pena , Luis 2009-02-15 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Seattle

Dillon , Joe 2008-10-31 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Oakland

Anderson , Drew 2008-01-18 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Cincinnati

Aquino , Greg 2007-12-14 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Baltimore

Liriano , Pedro 2004-12-07 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Philadelphia

Bausher , Tim 2004-06-07 Lost on waivers Milwaukee Colorado

That stinks, wanted to see what he could do. Looks like he's been doing ok this fall, wonder if they should have tried to pass him through waivers a couple weeks ago before getting back on the field if they wanted to keep him....

I think it will be extremely hard for him to jump to the big leagues after missing all if last year with a head injury. Pretty decent chance the White Six remove him from the 40 man as well at some point to get him playing time in the minors.

Some of these guys claimed on waivers at this time of year are viewed as sleeper-type prospects. Others will bounce right back off their next team's 40-man when a more intriguing or necessary addition enters the picture.

I'm a little surprised by this, simply because he seemed to have the highest upside for next season of the guys in contention for the last one or two bench spots (Reed, Wren, Rivera, Pinto if they don't consider him a catcher).

Wren likely benefits the most from Liriano's departure. Have to think they figured he'd pass through given the missed season.

I am not shocked. He needs time in the minors and it isn't like there is a whole lot of opportunity these days in the Brewers OF anyway. When you stock pile young players you are going to be forced to let go of some that still look interesting.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I am not shocked. He needs time in the minors and it isn't like there is a whole lot of opportunity these days in the Brewers OF anyway. When you stock pile young players you are going to be forced to let go of some that still look interesting.

This is pretty spot on.

Liriano has no options left. If we kept him, we'd likely have to keep him in majors. After missing a full season, it's unlikely we'd want to do that. I'm not saying I wouldn't want the guy, but it's one of those things. You can keep everyone.

Here's the glass half full side of it: As disappointing as it was to see Liriano's season ended before it started because of injury (which we'd certainly wish on no one), it's entirely possible that we'd never have stuck with Broxton long enough to see his 2nd half run. If Liriano had looked like an even halfway decent CF option, I think Broxton would likely have been DFA'ed by the AS break.

This is pretty spot on.

Liriano has no options left. If we kept him, we'd likely have to keep him in majors. After missing a full season, it's unlikely we'd want to do that. I'm not saying I wouldn't want the guy, but it's one of those things. You can keep everyone.

Yea, I forgot he had no options. That actually makes it a pretty easy decision. As Plush said, this will happen more often in coming years with all the young talent they have now. Even this year yet there will be a few more guys cut loose.

Archived