Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That makes - so far:

#41 - Isan Diaz

#67 - Clark

#70 - Erceg

#71 - Hader

#79 - Ortiz

#100 - Woodruff

I'm assuming Brinson and Ray will pop up shortly. That would be eight players in the Top 100. I read somewhere else that the Brewers system was ranked #6 overall - not sure if that's correct.

8 in the top 100 is nothing to sneeze at. I will admit, I've had both Brett Phillips and Clint Coulter in my top spots before.

It's something to remember - a Top 100 prospect is no guarantee of anything. Jed Bradley, Taylor Jungmann, Tyrone Taylor, Mat Gamels, Mark Rogers, etc., etc. Every team has their failures - and there are lots of them. That's why you just need to keep producing good prospects. Some turn out, some don't.

I read somewhere else that the Brewers system was ranked #6 overall - not sure if that's correct.

Yes, Keith Law (same source for the top 100 prospects) listed the Brewers at #6 overall for system ranking.

Joel Reuter of Bleacher Report had the Brewers at #3 overall for system ranking (posted 1/4/17).

Its part of the reason I started tracking system rankings. There are a variety of opinions and while some are better than others, I feel a consensus is better than 1 person making a decree and fans just following along to that 1 voice.

One note: there was only 1 unanimous ranking last season - LA Angels in 30th place.

Sources I am still waiting to hear from in 2017:

Baseball America

Baseball Prospectus

John Sickels/ Minor League Baseball

Minor League Baseball Analyst (book)

Prospect Digest

MiLB.com (overall ranking)

MLBreports.com

MLB Top Prospects

With taking the averages of all source ranks last year (entering 2016), the Brewers were tied for 10th with 11.091 as a rating (the lower the better) & tied with the Cubs. 9th was Texas at 9.272 and 12th was Tampa Bay with 11.182

I read somewhere else that the Brewers system was ranked #6 overall - not sure if that's correct.

Yes, Keith Law (same source for the top 100 prospects) listed the Brewers at #6 overall for system ranking.

Joel Reuter of Bleacher Report had the Brewers at #3 overall for system ranking (posted 1/4/17).

Its part of the reason I started tracking system rankings. There are a variety of opinions and while some are better than others, I feel a consensus is better than 1 person making a decree and fans just following along to that 1 voice.

One note: there was only 1 unanimous ranking last season - LA Angels in 30th place.

Sources I am still waiting to hear from in 2017:

Baseball America

Baseball Prospectus

John Sickels/ Minor League Baseball

Minor League Baseball Analyst (book)

Prospect Digest

MiLB.com (overall ranking)

MLBreports.com

MLB Top Prospects

With taking the averages of all source ranks last year (entering 2016), the Brewers were tied for 10th with 11.091 as a rating (the lower the better) & tied with the Cubs. 9th was Texas at 9.272 and 12th was Tampa Bay with 11.182

Awesome. Thanks for the info. And thanks for tracking. It's interesting stuff, and I look forward to see where the club ends up.

2080-ball's Brewers Top 10 prospects:

1. Josh Hader (LHP)

2. Corey Ray (OF)

3. Lewis Brinson (OF)

4. Isan Diaz (SS/2B)

5. Luis Ortiz (RHP)

6. Lucas Erceg (3B)

7. Mauricio Dubon (2B/SS)

8. Brandon Woodruff (RHP)

9. Marcos Diplan (RHP)

10. Phil Bickford (RHP)

https://medium.com/brewernation/2080-balls-top-10-brewers-prospects-c762475e57c4#.jaj6flpqr

2080-ball's Brewers Top 15 prospects:

1. Josh Hader (LHP)

2. Corey Ray (OF)

3. Lewis Brinson (OF)

4. Isan Diaz (SS/2B)

5. Luis Ortiz (RHP)

6. Lucas Erceg (3B)

7. Mauricio Dubon (2B/SS)

8. Brandon Woodruff (RHP)

9. Marcos Diplan (RHP)

10. Phil Bickford (RHP)

11. Corbin Burnes

12. Mario Feliciano

13. Trent Clark

14. Nash Walters

15. Chad McClanahan

I just combined the two lists into one.

https://medium.com/brewernation/2080-balls-top-10-brewers-prospects-c762475e57c4#.jaj6flpqr

Definitely. The only real advantages Clark has on Maverick would be hit tool and age. Phillips seems like he has a more well rounded skill set with better power, defense and arm tools while speed is probably a wash, maybe slight edge to Clark?

Anyone find it strange that most lists are still very high on Trent Clark after a down year, but much lower on Brett Phillips after a similarly down year?

I think most people can give Clark a pass after some injuries last year. He was only 19 last season - and quite young for the league. And his 2015 performance was very good. I've read some concerns about his performance last year - but at this point, people are in the 'wait-and-see' mode regarding Trent. So much can happen with a player - mentally and physically - at his age.

Phillips, on the other hand, was healthy last year, and his production, specifically his batting average, revealed a potential flaw in his approach. With the hit tool he displayed last year, scouts saw a guy who just isn't going to hit enough to be a major league regular. I saw one report that said something like 'stiff wrists, noisy footwork, long swing'. To be battling all of that in the upper minors doesn't inspire confidence. You have that a A ball - scouts probably see it as correctable. But get to AA and AAA - that's a different story.

I also think that AA is when guys really start to get put under the microscope. Often guys in the lower minors are seen by scouts and writers once or twice in a year. But once they reach AA, there's a lot more scrutiny. And Phillips just didn't inspire confidence in many people.

Brett needs to make some adjustments this year - let's just hope it happens. He doesn't have to hit .300 - but if he can hit .250-260 - add in good patience, decent power and solid defense - there's a lot going for him.

In case anyone is wondering, we'll do the 2017 pre-season poll at the end of March/early April. That'll let people see how things shake out during spring training and let us take into account any major moves the club makes during the next couple of months.

Archived