Brewer Fanatic

BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects - 2016 Post-Season Edition

reillymcshane
Not surprisingly, the Brewers are not among the 20 worst farm systems in baseball according to Keith Law.

Here is the full list from Keith Law. His previous rankings are in ()

Law says that an argument could be made for any of the top 3 teams to best considered the best. In his opinion, the Braves have a good balance of strong pitching and up-the-middle talent that offsets the lack of power in their position prospects.

espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=6159

1. Atlanta (1)

2. NY Yankees (13)

3. San Diego (20)

4. Pittsburgh (8)

5. LA Dodgers (2)

6. Milwaukee (5)

7. NY Mets (16)

8. Cincinnati (12)

9. Colorado (7)

10. Chicago White Sox (22)

11. Minnesota (3)

12. Houston (17)

13. St. Louis (19)

14. Philadelphia (6)

15. Texas (9)

16. Boston (10)

17. Cleveland (11)

18. Chicago (4)

19. Tampa Bay (14)

20. San Francisco (21)

21. Toronto (25)

22. Washington (15)

23. Oakland (18)

24. Detroit (26)

25. Baltimore (27)

26. Kansas City (23)

27. Los Angeles Angels (30)

28. Seattle (28)

29. Miami (29)

30. Arizona (24)

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pleskoff generally strikes me as too effusive of the talent he writes about so I usually take his reports with a few grains of salt. That said, this report on Dubon seemed to contrast the good with the not so good pretty well. Still left me feeling good about Mauricio, but without feeling like I'd just been sold a used car.

I really wonder if some of these brewers speedsters deserve increased projections in the SB department due to the aggressive base running the Brewers seem to promote/desire. This is and will be the fastest team in baseball for some time going forward, no?

Chris Crawford's top 20, which is in his PDF book that you should definitely look into buying:

1. Brinson

2. Ray

3. Ortiz

4. Diaz

5. Clark

6. Hader

7. Dubon

8. Erceg

9. Phillips

10. Diplan

11. Bickford

12. Lopez

13. Burnes

14. Lara

15. Ponce

16. Woodruff

17. Williams

18. Kirby

19. Cordell

20. Nottingham

Again, get the PDF. It's $1.99 and has detailed scouting reports on all 20 guys.

I would find it difficult to buy something that lists Hader as the Brewers #6 prospect and Woodruff as #16.

Haven't ordered or read his reports yet, but some still believe Hader won't stick as a SP. While I don't agree, it's not like it's a crazy opinion. That uncertainty can drop his stock a bit. That's why I like taking in all the information, it's all good stuff.

Woodruff's ranking has been all over the map. That's what happens when someone comes out of the blue (somewhat) to post a monster season.

I would find it difficult to buy something that lists Hader as the Brewers #6 prospect and Woodruff as #16.

Haven't ordered or read his reports yet, but some still believe Hader won't stick as a SP. While I don't agree, it's not like it's a crazy opinion. That uncertainty can drop his stock a bit. That's why I like taking in all the information, it's all good stuff.

Woodruff's ranking has been all over the map. That's what happens when someone comes out of the blue (somewhat) to post a monster season.

Yep, agree. He's quite complimentary of Hader in the piece, summing him up as a potential #2 SP or nasty backend reliever, depending on the change up and command. He just likes the 5 above him more, which is a compliment to our system.

And Woodruff is a complete pop-up prospect with a great fastball and average secondaries. He's all over the place in the various online rankings.

Yep, agree. He's quite complimentary of Hader in the piece, summing him up as a potential #2 SP or nasty backend reliever, depending on the change up and command. He just likes the 5 above him more, which is a compliment to our system.

And Woodruff is a complete pop-up prospect with a great fastball and average secondaries. He's all over the place in the various online rankings.

Ok, you guys talked me into getting it.

I'm expecting at least one of Phillips or Clark to drop out of most Top 100 lists, if not both. That said, I think if you were to dig deeper, you'd find a ton of Brewers in the 101-200 range. Phillips if he drops, Woodruff if left off T100, Dubon, Diplan, Erceg, Cordell, Ponce, and Harrison all come to mind as guys who would be Top 200 candidates. Not that that really matters, it really starts to get subjective at that point, but it does I think speak to the depth of the system, even if it's not as top heavy as the Yankees or White Sox.

I'm looking forward most to this Fangraphs Org List

Should be out this week. I've enjoyed the new prospect guy that they added last year - Eric Longenhagen. I like how detailed his work has been.

Yeah I have been following Longenhagen for quite awhile. Was he freelance before? I think Eric is really adept at separating the kernel from the chaff. It takes a lot for Eric to call a prospect a future star and when he does his track record is good.

Also looking forward to more superlatives on Monte Harrison's arm. Last time it was brought up, he called it the best arm in the minors!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Law has Ortiz at 79, Hader at 71, Erceg at 70, and Clark at 67.

I'm expecting Erceg and Clark to be borderline Top 100 guys - so that's a positive for them.

Hader is low compared to other lists, but I don't have access to his analysis. I think there are still some people that aren't sold on him as a long term starter due to control issues. But whatever - I try not to get worked up about where our guys get placed. To me, the nice thing about the lists are that it boasts our players' values in case we want to trade someone, and it gives me a way to get a hold of the value of other prospects - guys we could potentially trade. Obviously, the higher rating are nice in that it builds hope for the future, but in the end, it really doesn't matter if a player is at #1 or #101. They still have to produce in the majors.

On Hader, Law said he gives him a 40-50% shot at starting, which is up from 0% a few years ago. Comped him closer to Andrew Miller than Chris Sale.

And let's be honest, if he turns out to be another Andrew Miller, that would be fantastic. You never hope for a projected starter to wind up in the pen but hard to come up with much of a better scenario than that besides ace.

Nice to see 5 so far in the top 100. I would think he would put Diaz, Ray and Brinson still in the top 100 so maybe looking at 8, potentially 9 if he likes Bickford.
Ray and Brinson absolutely (Ray was his #1 draft prospect), but I'm not so sure on Diaz and quite doubtful on Bickford. We'll see though.

Fangraphs list is out....

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-25-prospects-milwaukee-brewers/

Just for comparison's sake the only teams of the 14 released so far by Longenhagen that have more than the Brewers' 25 prospects listed are San Diego @ 32, Cincinnati @ 30 & the White Sox @ 27.

Of the 14 teams released so far none have as many as the Brewers 8 players ranked @ 50 FV or higher. Closest are Colorado @ 6, Dodgers @ 6, Pittsburgh @ 6, San Diego @ 7 and the White Sox @ 7.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Just for comparison's sake the only teams of the 14 released so far by Longenhagen that have more than the Brewers' 25 prospects listed are San Diego @ 32, Cincinnati @ 30 & the White Sox @ 27.

Of the 14 teams released so far none have as many as the Brewers 8 players ranked @ 50 FV or higher. Closest are Colorado @ 6, Dodgers @ 6, Pittsburgh @ 6, San Diego @ 7 and the White Sox @ 7.

I love reading the detailed scouting reports from Longenhagen. Usually it's just a sentence, but he goes into specifics on the guys - especially the top players.

I'm actually kind of surprised he didn't get even deeper into the system. No Gabby Garcia?

Still, this list pumps me up. ++ grade on Ray's bat speed? Wow. Longenhagen seems to like our star power in Brinson and Ray while giving guys like Hader, Diplan, Erceg and Diaz an outside shot at reaching that level.

Archived