Brewer Fanatic

BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects - 2016 Post-Season Edition

reillymcshane
But even at that, top 30% of a league is not top prospect territory.

His wOBA this year was better than Brinson in AA, better than Arcia in AAA, and better than both Clark and Ray (incidentally, Phillips is only 4 months older than Ray).

Every case is different. No question Arcia had a down year himself. Yet he remained the #1 prospect due to plus fielding, arm, and speed. Three tools critical for his position. Ray was just drafted and thrown into A+ in a tough hitters park. Learning pro ball, wood bats, all that good stuff. And eventually he came on at the end of the season. Brinson was injured the first half of the season, and finished strong as well. Can't take just half his season's numbers. Clark, I'll give you. Other than he was young for low A ball. (Which is why I said above I would bump him out of the top 10 for Dubon and Taylor Williams.)

But again, that's nitpicking. Absolutely believe Phillips remains a top tier prospect for the Brewers, just a matter of exactly where he is ranked. He did have a down year though, if we're using wOBA, it was lower than his previous two seasons. Which, by definition would make it a down year.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A note from another BA article posted today..

DOWN ON THE FARM: After the farm system had a big year in 2015, Milwaukee stumbled in ’16, with its domestic affiliates going just 302-379 (.443), second-worst in baseball. Prospects such as Arcia, righthander Jorge Lopez (3-11, 5.78 overall) and outfielder Brett Phillips (.229/.332/.397) faltered, while high Class A Brevard County lost a minor league-worst 97 games. Shortstop Isan Diaz led the low Class A Midwest League with 20 homers, while righthander Brandon Woodruff went 14-9, 2.68 and led the minors with 173 strikeouts.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017-milwaukee-brewers-top-10-insider/#iUEXHrKeqDFJ8yAo.97

Getting the minor league squads on track & more successful should produce a culture of success, more development opportunities (in form of playoff races and playoff games) and most importantly prospects more ready to contribute once they get to the majors...

I can't be the only person that's seen Clark play this year and think his arm doesn't come close to profiling as a RF? Coulter (60) also doesn't have the strongest arm in the OF it's Phillips (70). Interesting take on Cordell as 1b of future. He's versatile enough - would be interesting if that happens.

With Clark, I don't know that I'd knock him down too far, at least for his batting statistics. From what I remember from looking it up a while back, high schoolers going straight to A ball their first full season routinely struggle. It's more of a great sign if they don't than a bad sign if they do. Based on the chat, I've got a feeling that in their view the Brewers have a clear top 12 (with Dubon and Phillips as the other two), followed by a small gap down to a tier with Lopez, Peralta, Nottingham and perhaps a few others.

Think since he was drafted, Clark has been penciled in at LF in future. Arm is not impressive. Coulter's arm should be higher than a 60.... Guy has an absolute gun that I don't think is far off Phillips if not greater. It is whole reason they haven't put him at 1st. Hard to waste an arm like that & he defensively couldn't play 3b ( believe they gave him look in spring or fall instructs after leaving catcher).

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

So....when are we going to be hearing about turnover in our development staff?

The lack of pitching scouting and development has been discussed alot, but the recent hitting development might be more troublesome.

Roache- Hasn't shown any advancement since he has been in the system.

Haniger- Didn't do anything until he left the organization

Taylor and Coulter- Each has carrying tools, but neither has shown much of a pulse in the last 2 seasons outside of Coulter's BABIP inflated AA run.

Harrison and Gatewood- Still not producing.

Lara and Orimoleye- Not seeing any results of "development" here yet.

Phillips, Nottingham, and Betancourt- all saw dips in production after they came over

Clark- The amount of strikeouts in A ball was troubling.

You could give credit for Arcia and Reed but both of them took pretty big steps backward last season.

Sure, alot of it is scouting misses and maybe some makeup concerns, but its hard for me to think we have a competitive development structure and staff based off what I currently see for results on the field. Maybe changes are taking place here that aren't being reported, but all the talent in the world isn't going to do us any good if we can't develop it.

The lack of pitching scouting and development has been discussed alot, but the recent hitting development might be more troublesome.

Roache- Hasn't shown any advancement since he has been in the system.

Haniger- Didn't do anything until he left the organization

Taylor and Coulter- Each has carrying tools, but neither has shown much of a pulse in the last 2 seasons outside of Coulter's BABIP inflated AA run.

Harrison and Gatewood- Still not producing.

Lara and Orimoleye- Not seeing any results of "development" here yet.

Phillips, Nottingham, and Betancourt- all saw dips in production after they came over

Clark- The amount of strikeouts in A ball was troubling.

You could give credit for Arcia and Reed but both of them took pretty big steps backward last season.

Sure, alot of it is scouting misses and maybe some makeup concerns, but its hard for me to think we have a competitive development structure and staff based off what I currently see for results on the field. Maybe changes are taking place here that aren't being reported, but all the talent in the world isn't going to do us any good if we can't develop it.

Add Jed Bradley to that list. All of that is extremely discomforting.

I looked it up the other day.

The Brewers formally announced their 2016 coaching staffs on January 13th, so we likely have a couple of weeks to wait before learning about any turnover.

Long before clancyphile grabbed hold of Brent Suter's shining star, there was Jeff Pickler.

MLB Trade Rumors has an update:

The Twins have agreed to bring Jeff Pickler aboard to join their big-league coaching staff next year, MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger writes. Pickler previously served as a special assistant for pro scouting and player development with the analytically inclined Dodgers, and while his exact role with the Twins has yet to be determined, he’s expected to serve as a liaison between the team’s front office and its coaching staff. Pickler played eight years as an infielder in the Brewers system and has also worked in scouting with the Padres and Diamondbacks.

Long before clancyphile grabbed hold of Brent Suter's shining star, there was Jeff Pickler.

MLB Trade Rumors has an update:

The Twins have agreed to bring Jeff Pickler aboard to join their big-league coaching staff next year, MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger writes. Pickler previously served as a special assistant for pro scouting and player development with the analytically inclined Dodgers, and while his exact role with the Twins has yet to be determined, he’s expected to serve as a liaison between the team’s front office and its coaching staff. Pickler played eight years as an infielder in the Brewers system and has also worked in scouting with the Padres and Diamondbacks.

Liked what he had to offer: Hit no lower than .287 over a full season with the Crew, very high walk rate, some speed.

Honestly thought he was a missed opportunity at second base.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Milwaukee Brewers Top 15 Prospects in 2017

Jesse Burkhart, FanragSports.com

About Jesse

First of all, I swore I would never link to the dreaded "click page-by-page" format articles, but this one is well-done, most appreciated are the insights from instructional league that were either gathered first-hand or from someone with first-hand knowledge

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

About Jesse

First of all, I swore I would never link to the dreaded "click page-by-page" format articles, but this one is well-done, most appreciated are the insights from instructional league that were either gathered first-hand or from someone with first-hand knowledge

That was great. Thanks for posting, Mass.

Lots of really good detail on each of the players.

About Jesse

A very interesting viewpoint & rankings.

I will be curious to see how he ranks players in various other organizations and if he will rank the organizations themselves..

Some really good detail, particularly regarding Corey Ray and providing some color to the concerns that a few people have about his hit tool.

He says he gets his scouting reports from "industry sources that include team executives, team officials, scouts and other industry observers, as well as my own evaluations." Some reports though, in particular Brandon Woodruff, aren't accurate as he says Woodruff "throws a low-90s fastball... lack of a standout tool...". There were several reports last year of Woodruff hitting 98 late in games, and you don't lead all of the minor leagues in strikeouts without at least one standout tool.

BP Brewers Top 10.

You need a subscription to read the player detail, though I will note that this is the first time I have seen Trent Clark's arm rated as good-enough for right field. Can't agree with that.

I'm also not certain of the argument for placing Ponce above Diplan, Woodruff, or maybe even Bickford. Ponce's velocity was down pretty far at some points last year, and his command remains quite inconsistent. That's not true of the other three I just mentioned, and I don't think that Ponce has a definitively higher upside than those guys, either. From the author's comments, I think Diplan was #11 - he mentioned his editor had him remove Diplan from the top 10 ostensibly because Ponce is 6'6 and Diplan isn't. Ok?

Neither Bickford nor Woodruff were mentioned anywhere in the write-up. Bickford I kind of get, but completely glossing over Woodruff is odd. FB in the low-mid 90's, plus slider, improving command and minor league leader in Ks gets you nowhere, apparently.

BP Brewers Top 10.

You need a subscription to read the player detail, though I will note that this is the first time I have seen Trent Clark's arm rated as good-enough for right field. Can't agree with that.

I'm also not certain of the argument for placing Ponce above Diplan, Woodruff, or maybe even Bickford. Ponce's velocity was down pretty far at some points last year, and his command remains quite inconsistent. That's not true of the other three I just mentioned, and I don't think that Ponce has a definitively higher upside than those guys, either. From the author's comments, I think Diplan was #11 - he mentioned his editor had him remove Diplan from the top 10 ostensibly because Ponce is 6'6 and Diplan isn't. Ok?

Neither Bickford nor Woodruff were mentioned anywhere in the write-up. Bickford I kind of get, but completely glossing over Woodruff is odd. FB in the low-mid 90's, plus slider, improving command and minor league leader in Ks gets you nowhere, apparently.

There has been so much turnover on the BP staff and I think it shows.

Regarding the BP list, do insiders still have access to scouting briefs that are dated to times they were scouted? At one time non-subscribers had access to those. Admittedly it was a while back, 2 or 3 years maybe, but when I would look through their top 10 and then look at when they scouted the players, some of them hadn't been seen in a year or even two.

That can be overcome to a degree by talking to scouts or even team personnel. I can't imagine how much time Sickels spends on a phone. But if a lot of it is chatter among their staff and pals, I say whatever.

Formerly AKA Pete

Brewer Fanatic Staff
AUDIO via Razzball Friday 12/30: A full hour-plus podcast discussing Brewers prospects, the real discussion begins at the 07:00 minute mark

Razzball is a Fantasy Advice site, but the discussion certainly carries from a traditional baseball perspective as well.

New article from the same site that brought you that darn solid podcast.

Archived