Brewer Fanatic

Most Humiliating Way Cubs Could Lose World Series

homer
Cubs win the World Series in 5 games, only to have news break the following week that 3 players who played crucial roles in their post season push failed PED tests. So even though they won, they still lost in the eyes of the baseball lords.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are up 3 games to 1. In game 5 at Wrigley they have the bases loaded in a tie game with one out in the ninth, there is a 6-4-3 ground ball that the Cubs player beats at first and the Cubs win the World Series... until replay says otherwise. The Cubs end up losing game 5 and the next two games in Cleveland. They have a taste of being a champion but have it taken away.

Something replay-related has my vote - although I'm not as bent on cub humiliation as others here.

I wonder if "New York" would actually have the nerve to make such a high-leverage reversal. Talk about a new scapegoat. Whoever's in that replay booth would have to enter the witness protection program, possibly before leaving the booth that night.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Game 7...bases loaded...down by 3...Cubs up...3-2 count...Baez hits it deep down the line for what is thought to be a grand slam inside the poll. However after replay it is shown to be just foul and Baez strikes out the next pitch.

Better yet, runner on 3B forgets to touch home plate. Indians appeal, runner called out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Game 7...bases loaded...down by 3...Cubs up...3-2 count...Baez hits it deep down the line for what is thought to be a grand slam inside the poll. However after replay it is shown to be just foul and Baez strikes out the next pitch.

Better yet, runner on 3B forgets to touch home plate. Indians appeal, runner called out.

Now we're getting somewhere...

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I really want this defeat to accomplish many things.

Of course I want the Cubs to lose, but I want the fans to turn on the team or something iconic.

I don't want fan interference, unless it's someone famous, like if Bill Murray were to become the new Bartman.

Or if a fan in the bleachers is wearing an Ernie Banks jersey, AND Harry Caray glasses, while holding a Ron Santo sign, and an Indians homer knocks that guy down--that would be good.

Or if lightning would strike the W flagpole.

I want more than defeated sadness at the end of this series. I want Cubs fans to be embittered against someone on the team, and a defeat so deflating that the NL pennant is hardly remembered.

Of course I want the Cubs to lose, but I want the fans to turn on the team or something iconic.

I don't want fan interference, unless it's someone famous, like if Bill Murray were to become the new Bartman.

Or if a fan in the bleachers is wearing an Ernie Banks jersey, AND Harry Caray glasses, while holding a Ron Santo sign, and an Indians homer knocks that guy down--that would be good.

I want more than defeated sadness at the end of this series. I want Cubs fans to be embittered against someone on the team, and a defeat so deflating that the NL pennant is hardly remembered.

Something like a 4 -0 series sweep where they lose every game by double digit runs?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Something like a 4 -0 series sweep where they lose every game by double digit runs?

Yes, that would be fine--if the sweep leads to a public display of anger on the team. Like if outfielders call off each other and the ball drops between them. Or if, down by several runs, Javier Baez gets caught stealing to end an important inning.

It has to be more than just a series of losses. I want Cubs fans to be calling for someone's head. I want to see fans with face paint looking blankly into space. I want to see a tv crowd shot of a woman wearing a bunch of sparkly Cubs-themed accessories, in tears as the reality of the series loss is apparent, but there are still a few outs to go.

I like watching crushed fans wearing excessive teamwear.

This thread is weak. Win or lose, the Cubs are playing in the World Series and the Brewers are not. But if this is how you get your jollies, carry on.

This is the greatest thread I have ever started.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This 100%. Everyone is overthinking this way too much. The most embarrassing way is to be blown out 4 games in a row, to never be in it or even have a chance. Normally I prefer the winning team to do it at home because it adds more excitement but this scenario would take place in Chicago and be awesome.

But I'm in it for the cruelty.

Like if Wrigley Field has a power outage or plumbing issue that forces a postponement. That would add to my glee. I'm in it for maximum schadenfreude.

The baseball is most of it, but there's room for so much more.

What if Schwarber is added to the roster and then immediately suspended for PEDs? I want the same stunned disbelief/bitterness that was seen at the pep rally when Chicago was certain they were going to host the Olympics, but then were denied.

What about the bat breaks and is found to be corked?

The ball would be fair in this instance meaning its a Grand Slam win celebration ongoing, only to have tv camera pan over to ump looking at bat and signal the batter out.

Go the opposite way. Game 7. Kyle Schwarber is indeed playing. In Top 9 he pinch hits, double switch. He's put in the catcher position, pitcher in Monteros spot Cubs down 1, runners 1st&2nd. KS rips a ball to deepest part of Cleveland's ballpark, with baserunners running, It 1hops the wall for ground rule double. Fowler Id assume next batter strikes out, we go bottom of 9th tied.

A hit batter, K, reached on error, K, and missed called strike 3 walk Leads to bases loaded. 1st pitch swinging is a comebacker to Pitcher, and instead of celebrating to go to 10th, Ump calls Catcher Interference on Schwarber who's 1st experience catching in the series, and poor ability at being a Catcher is thrust forever in to the history of Cubs WS curse.

Steve Bartman throws out the opening pitch and it bounces oddly off home plate and knocks their game 7 pitcher unconscious.

Steve Bartman throws out the opening pitch and it bounces oddly off home plate and knocks their game 7 pitcher unconscious.

Not sure Cleveland would be ok with Bartman throwing out first pitch in their stadium but whatever.

What about the bat breaks and is found to be corked?

The ball would be fair in this instance meaning its a Grand Slam win celebration ongoing, only to have tv camera pan over to ump looking at bat and signal the batter out.

Or Terry Francona notices something about the bat...

Not sure Cleveland would be ok with Bartman throwing out first pitch in their stadium but whatever.

Isn't he the ultimate anti-Cub hero? The enemy of my enemy is my friend? (Yes, I realize Bartman is a Cubs fan ... or was anyway)

But I'm in it for the cruelty.

Like if Wrigley Field has a power outage or plumbing issue that forces a postponement. That would add to my glee. I'm in it for maximum schadenfreude.

I'm reading this thread to the SO, and he suggested a Wrigley Field problem that requires moving the CHC home games to Miller Park. THEN they can be no-hit or replayed out or whatever. And ideally, Brewers fans would get first crack at tickets.

Tom's other idea was that as the last game is about to end, the lights go on in Bob Newhart's apartment and we hear Bob telling Suzanne Pleshette what a crazy dream he had.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I know it was just a funny thing going around for a little bit but the idea that Uecker should call the World Series in place of Joe Buck would have been the saddest turn of events in Brewer history. Cubs make the WS for the first time in something like 2000 years and our own broadcast legend calls it for them. That would have been the most humiliating thing for the Brewers in Cubs history hands down.

I remember saying when Cubs fans were stuffing the AS ballot boxes to get all their own players in over some more deserving candidates, that they were going to end up losing the All-Star game and in turn costing themselves a World Series. If the home team in this series wins out and brings some truth to this, I would find that pretty hilarious.

Archived