Brewer Fanatic

Any major changes coming in the new CBA? [CBA agreed upon: post 59]

adambr2
Spending massive amounts of money on your major league team is almost counterproductive in MLB. Eventually those highly paid players are going to be old and suck and prevent you from filling much needed holes on your roster. Any real competitive balance has to start by making sure all teams have an equal chance to acquire amateur talent. The last changes to the international free agent market helped a little bit but the big money teams can still throw boatloads of cash at latin american teenagers and outbid everyone else. A real international draft would do more to fix competitive balance than a salary cap could.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one of the things I was waiting on with the winter meetings was the Competitive Balance Lottery. It would be very helpful for some clubs (like Cleveland and Milwaukee) to gain another draft pick.

I'm wondering if the possible lockout on 12/1 is tied to the possible changes with the draft. Once the drawings happen, those picks are able to be traded and MLB will be committed into having that process for 2017...

Negotiations going along a little more slowly than expected, and reports are a lockout is possible.

Sounds like the big sticking point right now is the international draft, which the owners want in exchange for dropping all comp ties to free agents, but the MLBPA is digging in their heels on this.

All a hard cap would do is screw the players out of money.

[sarcasm]Gee, you mean a slightly above average middle reliever would not make $7.5M/yr. Yeah..that would be a shame.[/sarcasm]

It's better to put the money on owner's pockets?

I really don't have a problem with that. I don't have a viewpoint on the world that anyone that makes money by owning or investing in something is automatically evil and greedy (even if they make a lot of money doing so). I think they earn their money more by taking the risk than a middle reliever making $7.5mil per year pitching 60 innings and carrying a career ERA of 4.2 All this does is takes a chunk of FA's out of play for teams like the Brewers every year.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Negotiations going along a little more slowly than expected, and reports are a lockout is possible.

Sounds like the big sticking point right now is the international draft, which the owners want in exchange for dropping all comp ties to free agents, but the MLBPA is digging in their heels on this.

Tying compensation picks to a player only limit a free agent's contract. Not sure why the players union would want to keep that part.

Tying compensation picks to a player only limit a free agent's contract. Not sure why the players union would want to keep that part.

They don't. The owners are willing to drop the compensation but want the international draft in exchange, but the union doesn't want the draft.

They don't. The owners are willing to drop the compensation but want the international draft in exchange, but the union doesn't want the draft.

Not sure why the union wouldn't want the draft either. Those don't represent those kids and keeping costs down on the superstar prospects would allow more money for their members.

CBA has been agreed upon

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
@JonHeyman

11/30/16 8:05 pm

No international draft, but int'l signings are said to be capped to 5-6M per team per year.

I think a cap is a fine place to start. I just like making it so teams are on a level playing field. The big money clubs have just owned this segment for too many years.

The #Athletics will be phased out as a revenue-sharing recipient over the next four years.

I'd love to know how or why that came about.

Conspiracy theory below:

MLB is trying to make the A's go bankrupt and then they will take over. This would then allow them to move them to wherever the MLB would want to move them to. Possibly a contraction team?

The Athletics are in a large market, and apparently, there's evidence that ownership isn't adequately putting revenue sharing money back into the team. The Marlins have also gotten into hot water over their revenue sharing money. Not long ago, Florida's finances were monitored by MLB and the Players Association for a three-year period.

There's some information on this the A's situation in the Random News thread posted by ewitkows.

Outside of this and the international spending cap, there doesn't appear to be anything earth-shattering in this CBA. Much of the language isn't drafted yet; details will become available in the next few days.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

to be fair, clubs should have known yesterday at the rule 5 draft protection deadline whether or not a 26th man rule would be in play in 2017. being able to bury a player as your 26th man (instead of 25th) may mean that more players are drafted and kept all season.

i'm grateful that there won't be a 26th man, because i think having such increases the likelihood of more brewers being plucked away via rule 5.

Outside of this and the international spending cap, there doesn't appear to be anything earth-shattering in this CBA. Much of the language isn't drafted yet; details will become available in the next few days.

Would you consider that they got rid of 1st round pick compensation a big deal?

I do believe I read that. That should help smaller market teams I imagine. They can sign guys without the worry of losing draft picks. Teams over the Luxary Tax still lose a 1st round pick however.

I should probably rephrase what I stated and say that nothing appears to be earth-shattering. Changes are more in the way of interesting tweaks. Draft pick compensation would be one of them.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I should probably rephrase what I stated and say that nothing appears to be earth-shattering. Changes are more in the way of interesting tweaks. Draft pick compensation would be one of them.

True, and it appears they still lose picks, just not first rounders.

Losing draft picks for going/staying over the luxury tax seems pretty significant. If I read it right, it looks like teams lose a third rounder for the first time over the cap and a 2nd rounder and 5th rounder if they stay over.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Losing draft picks for going/staying over the luxury tax seems pretty significant. If I read it right, it looks like teams lose a third rounder for the first time over the cap and a 2nd rounder and 5th rounder if they stay over.

Interesting. I thought I read they lose a 3rd if they sign a guy and are under the tax, but they lose a 2nd and 5th if they are over the tax.

I probably read it wrong. I skimmed it quickly this am.

Interesting. I thought I read they lose a 3rd if they sign a guy and are under the tax, but they lose a 2nd and 5th if they are over the tax.

You're right. I guess I had too many other things on my mind when I was reading the article.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

There will still be draft pick compensation just not a first round pick. Per MLB Network's Jon Morosi, teams will no longer have to give up a first-round pick to sign free agents who receive a qualifying offer. However, draft compensation won't completely go away, as teams over the luxury-tax threshold would lose a second- and fifth-round pick, while teams under would lose a third-round pick, per ESPN's Jayson Stark.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

You're right. I guess I had too many other things on my mind when I was reading the article.

While I was wrong about this, I did find this snippet at MLBtraderumors:

Teams that go $40MM over the luxury tax line will see their top draft pick fall by ten spots.

~Bill Walsh

Archived