Brewer Fanatic

Villar likely to play 2nd Base in 2017

reillymcshane
Right, they wanted to trade him because they were stretching their budget and felt that they had in-house replacement options. If their next best option had been Garrett Cooper and they had $10 million more in salary to play with, guessing he's still an Astro.

Right and people are trying to say Carter has trade value and that seems pretty questionable. He isn't any more special now.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has more value to a team that does not currently have any other viable options at the position, than he does to a team that has currently viable options at the position. Which would be most teams. But not Milwaukee.

Players values do not occur in a vacuum. Players are worth different things to different teams.

Do the Brewers think he is worth $8 million? I have no idea. They might not. But they also might think that even though he isn't worth $8 million, they will be willing to pay a premium on his value because they have no other real options at present, and are choosing not to go back to the revolving door of crap at the position.

I am talking about his trade value. Not his value to the Brewers which is probably different with a low payroll and no better options. They will likely tender him a contract over what he would get as a FA.

I think they tender him a contract, but trade value? I'd strongly guess it doesn't exist at his price tag.

Mark Trumbo and Khris Davis are the best comparisons for trade value. Salary and service time are the obvious differences which makes Carter more similar to Trumbo who returned a 4A catcher. They key will be to find a team that has a need for him. Toronto comes to mind if they lose both Bautista and Encarnacion. Maybe even Boston if they can't sign either of those two.

Mark Trumbo and Khris Davis are the best comparisons for trade value. Salary and service time are the obvious differences which makes Carter more similar to Trumbo who returned a 4A catcher. They key will be to find a team that has a need for him. Toronto comes to mind if they lose both Bautista and Encarnacion. Maybe even Boston if they can't sign either of those two.

Except they are outfielders where power is harder to get there. Chris Carter was 8/23 for qualified 1B in the SLG department. On the other hand Davis/Trumbo sat at 9/54 for qualified OFers in the SLG department.

This means for SLG:

35% of 1B were better than Carter

17% of OFers were better than Davis/Trumbo

Also:

16/23 or 69% of 1B had at least slugged .460

24/54 or 44% of OFers had at least slugged .460

So it is easy to come to the conclusion that Trumbo>Carter by a sizable margin and if Trumbo only got a 4A catcher what does that tell you about what Carter would likely get in return?

Except they are outfielders where power is harder to get there. Chris Carter was 8/23 for qualified 1B in the SLG department. On the other hand Davis/Trumbo sat at 9/54 for qualified OFers in the SLG department.

This means for SLG:

35% of 1B were better than Carter

17% of OFers were better than Davis/Trumbo

Also:

16/23 or 69% of 1B had at least slugged .460

24/54 or 44% of OFers had at least slugged .460

So it is easy to come to the conclusion that Trumbo>Carter by a sizable margin and if Trumbo only got a 4A catcher what does that tell you about what Carter would likely get in return?

I'd guess that Trumbo has increased his value this season and would net more than a 4A catcher if traded after the season.

I would also guess that Carter has increased his value somewhat. He was horrible last season with a sub-.200 batting average, getting benched by a playoff team. His new price tag may reduce that value substantially, but purely as a player he looks better (at least less risky) now than he did a year ago.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I see no reason to not play Villar at 2b next year, it's another rebuild year and they have the luxury of letting him learn the position without it hurting anything. I would assume they will treat 3b much like they did CF and SS (and I guess 3b) last offseason and will bring in some used-to-be prospects to battle it out and hope one sticks.

Villar is a switch hitter. If he's replacing Gennett, the lost LHB of Gennett isn't a loss. You gain the ability of having your platoon 2b to pair with Gennett without having to have Gennett and have the LHB still.

Isan Diaz is a LHB.

Tucker Neuhaus/Lucas Erceg/Chad McClanahan LHBs

Kyle Wren, Brett Phillips, and Corey Ray LHBs

FWIW so is Cody Bellinger/Alex Verdugo/Willie Calhoun/Gavin Lux should we nab one of the Dodgers top batting prospects.

What it means is, Gennett's bat from the LH side and the 2017 season Roster of bats not having much to choose from on the LH side should not be concerned nor reason to keep his bat. LHBats seem to be addressed for the future.

Villar is a switch hitter. If he's replacing Gennett, the lost LHB of Gennett isn't a loss

Villar was in the lineup already, so the person replacing Gennett would be whoever the find to play 3B. If that is Perez, then it's also whoever gets most of the corner OF PAs.

I agree that we shouldn't put a lot of emphasis on RH/LH at this point, and I agree that we should have plenty of LH bats coming up through the ranks.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived