Brewer Fanatic

Hurricane Matthew

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Not sure if anyone is in central/northern Florida - especially on the east coast - but take care if you are. Even better, get out of there and get somewhere safe.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

My brother is in Jacksonville. I visited him there for the first time four weeks ago for the Packer game. I rarely text him but did last night. He is seven miles inland, therefore outside the evacuation zone. His SO had to leave her house, so they're bunkered down together. BTW, visited Savannah and Tybee Island as well. Curious to kind of experience it would be for them to ride it out. Ironically, took a picture of the surge gage at Tybee Island.

I'm in the area and was in its path until it veered westward. My area only got about 6" of rain.

I'm still waiting on word whether I'll be sent as an LEO to police one of the shelters. I'm being put on standby in case officers there need a break. But lots of people are still in shelters and we've had a few levies break. For the past couple days the governor has been insisting that people in the flood path of a few dams/levies leave the area, reminding them that first-response workers aren't going to enter life-threatening situations to save someone and that choosing to stay will mean that any rescue needed will be at their expense. The governor has done a pretty good job with it all.

You'd think it would be well known not to drive through a flooded road, but lots of people do and then have to get towed out and hopefully not washed away.

One shooting in the whole thing. Apparently a guy got upset when told by Highway Patrol that he shouldn't go over a flooded road, pulled a rifle out of his vehicle, got shot by HP and died. To note, though, that's news through a few people and details are subject to facts.

Archived