Brewer Fanatic

2011 Brewers in Brewers Wall of Honor

rickh150

Thinking about this for a while....a good offseason topic. it will be fun to cheer for them again down the road when they enter the Wall before a home game. Eligible candidates have to have 2000 PA, 50 appearances as a pitcher, winner of a major award, or manager of a pennant winner.

I'd go with the following.....

Braun

Fielder

Hart

Gomez

Lucroy

Morgan (under current rules, I don't think he's eligible)

Yo

Greinke

Axford

Wolf

Krod

Roenicke

Sveum

Also, how isn't Sveum on yet? He was the manager of the 2008 playoff team, bench coach of 2011 team, has one of the biggest moments in Brewers history on Easter 1987, and has arguably better stats than Counsell, who for some reason is on already. If CC is on for his career stats/moments, ok. Yet wouldn't that open the door for many other Brewers who excelled other places/ways like a Sveum, Sundberg, Sheffield, Dave Parker, etc.?

Players who meet the qualifications are automatically included (although I think they have to be retired). So I think we can expect Fielder and Hart to be added relatively soon.

Sveum is short plate appearances, but I wouldn't be against adding him based on all the qualifications you mention. This isn't meant to be recognition for being "elite." Rather, it's meant to recognize a significant contribution to Brewer history. Bill Schroeder was added later; I assume that was based on a combination of his playing and broadcasting career. I think something similar can be done for Dale without "opening the door" to players who weren't around very long.

By the way, about "50 appearances as a pitcher" doesn't seem right. Many not-so-good guys would qualify.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I would put CC Sabathia in there no questions asked. What he did in that 2008 season was absolutely amazing. He did more in his time here than most. I hope they consider it when he's through.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Players who meet the qualifications are automatically included (although I think they have to be retired). So I think we can expect Fielder and Hart to be added relatively soon.

Sveum is short plate appearances, but I wouldn't be against adding him based on all the qualifications you mention. This isn't meant to be recognition for being "elite." Rather, it's meant to recognize a significant contribution to Brewer history. Bill Schroeder was added later; I assume that was based on a combination of his playing and broadcasting career. I think something similar can be done for Dale without "opening the door" to players who weren't around very long.

By the way, about "50 appearances as a pitcher" doesn't seem right. Many not-so-good guys would qualify.

I agree.... I saw a Jsonline article that listed the p criteria as 50 appearances.

http://archive.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/261832781.html

Also, the article mentioned what you wrote..... Players are automatically added. That seems awfully weird to me. Just have enough PA and your in?

It is 250 appearances by a pitcher not 50. Yes, it is automatic entry after retirement but they try to get the player to show up at some point during the season for induction. I would expect Hart to show up next year but could be as long as a few years for Fielder until he is no longer a Ranger.

It's 1,000 innings pitched or (as Outlander says) 250 games pitched. Here are the full criteria:

• 2,000 or more plate appearances
  • 1,000 or more innings pitched
  • 250 appearances as a pitcher
  • Winner of a major award (MVP, Cy Young, Rookie of the Year, or Fireman of the Year)
  • Manager of a pennant-winning team
  • Individuals memorialized with statues on the Miller Park Plaza
  • Members of the National Baseball Hall of Fame who played for or managed the Brewers

In 2015, the criteria were modified to include broadcasters. "Any alum who donned a Brewers uniform for any length of time and served as a primary broadcaster for at least 20 seasons with the team" is now eligible. So Schroeder was added due to automatic criteria rather than any special dispensation.

As of 2015, players qualifying after retirement include John Axford, Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, Yovani Gallardo, Carlos Gomez, J.J. Hardy, Corey Hart, Jonathan Lucroy and Rickie Weeks. Trevor Hoffman will certainly qualify after his election to the Hall of Fame. It appears that the player that came closest to qualifying but missed out is Tommy Harper (1,984 PA).

The initial class included 58 people. Schroeder was number 59. The idea is to honor "many individuals." The criteria are still exclusive, but they allow for a lot of people to qualify.

The Wall of Honor is designed to honor the many individuals who either spent a significant portion of their career with the Brewers or have a significant legacy with the organization through various achievements. It's designed as a complement to our Miller Park Walk of Fame, as well as our statues.

I kind of like the idea that criteria for eligibility are objective, so for that reason, I'm going to retract my support for Sveum for the time being. If there were a reasonable way to get him in other than making some kind of exception, I don't think he'd be out of place, though. Maybe a supplemental voting procedure can be added in the future to consider those who don't qualify automatically.

Sources:

I hate the criteria they use. Way too short of a time for a player to get inducted. A reliever or hitter can do it in 4 years. Honestly I don't find that a big contribution to Brewers history. Jean Segura was 236 PAs from being in the Walk of Fame. I am sorry, but that is nothing short of pathetic. It should take more like 6 years in my mind. At that point the player must have been decent and providing something to the organization. However 4 years could in theory cover 3 league minimum years and a first time arbitration year. So it may just be because they are cheap and that is why they were even around. It also could end up being some guy who is horrible, but since we signed him to a big FA contract he played a bunch for 4-5 years. I get they want it to include more people than a Hall of Fame would, but adding in guys like Axford plus nearly adding in Segura/Gennett may be including too much.

Are we talking about Walk of Fame here or Wall of Honor? One is too hard to get into, the other has almost no criteria.

But regarding the Walk of Fame. I strongly believe Ben Sheets and Geoff Jenkins should have plaques. Was thinking about this earlier in the week so glad someone started a topic.

Segura actually ended up only 73 short. Scooter may get in if not traded this off season. I actually think it is fine the way it is, it isn't an exclusive club but it is fun to look at the plaques outside Miller Park and recall players I used to watch but had not thought about in years.

Sheets and Jenkins do have plaques outside the stadium.

But are they in the Walk of Fame? THe last Brewer to be inducted was Higuera a few years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee_Brewers_Walk_of_Fame

The link indicates only 9 Brewer players have been inducted

Hank Aaron

Rollie Fingers

Paul Molitor

Robin Yount

Cecil Cooper

Jim Gantner

Gorman Thomas

Don Money

Teddy Higuera

That's pretty pathetic for a franchise that has been around for almost 50 years.

"That's pretty pathetic for a franchise that has been around for almost 50 years."

I was at an Atlanta Falcons 50th year celebration last year, and their only really recognizable player honored was Deion Sanders. They woulda honored Favre, but.......

Are we talking about Walk of Fame here or Wall of Honor?

Based on the names he's mentioning, I think it's clear that rickh150 is referring to the Wall of Honor.

But are they in the Walk of Fame? THe last Brewer to be inducted was Higuera a few years ago.

No they are not and I have had an issue with the Walk of Fame in the past because the voters treat it like the Baseball Hall Of Fame, which is why I think it is great that the Brewers did add the Wall of Honor. I do think Jenkins does get into the Walk of Fame soon as he was over 50% last year. I think Sheets deserves it as well but don't think he has been eligible for a vote yet.

Since the Walk of Fame started including Milwaukee Braves, I think the most significant omission is Del Crandall.

Archived