Brewer Fanatic

2016 Wildcard Games: Orioles vs. Blue Jays, Oct. 4, 7:00 PM CDT; Giants vs. Mets, Oct. 5, 7:00 PM CDT [Jays win, 5-2, 11 innings; Giants win, 3-0]

1992casey
Agreed you don't want Ubaldo in that situation but what were their other choices? I don't know the answer, but I do know they went to the pen after 4 & 1/3 so the bullpen is pretty exhausted by the 11th or 12 inning.

Um...Zach Britton - the guy that has a fairly decent shot at winning the AL Cy Young this year. Inexcusable to leave him in the pen for this game just because the Orioles were never presented with a 'save situation'. Guess he'll be available for the save next Opening Day.

Exactly! Thank you

I probably will DVR "MLB Now" tomorrow just to hear Brian Kenny rant & rave about this exact topic.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I am having issues with the idea that so many people can't comprehend this Britton issue. Other baseball/statistical arguments actually have some leeway. This is just so straightforward. I won't really destroy him for using some pretty good relievers in matchups (though, really, Britton should have started the 9th)...but it is incomprehensible how somebody (so many former players, especially) cannot wrap their heads around this.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't mean people on this thread. Mostly former/current players and media that are either defending him or failing to explain the simple, clear percentages.

Agreed you don't want Ubaldo in that situation but what were their other choices? I don't know the answer, but I do know they went to the pen after 4 & 1/3 so the bullpen is pretty exhausted by the 11th or 12 inning.

Zach Britton.

DUH! Sorry guys that was not a very thoughtful post as several pointed out!

Lineups, Giants vs. Mets (Tuesday):

Giants

1. CF Denard Span (L)
  2. 1B Brandon Belt (L)
  3. C Buster Posey ®
  4. RF Hunter Pence ®
  5. SS Brandon Crawford (L)
  6. LF Ángel Pagán (S)
  7. 2B Joe Panik (L)
  8. 3B Conor Gillaspie (L)
  9. LHP Madison Bumgarner ®

Mets

1. 3B José Reyes (S)
  2. SS Asdrúbal Cabrera (S)
  3. LF Yoenis Céspedes ®
  4. CF Curtis Granderson (L)
  5. 2B T.J. Rivera ®
  6. RF Jay Bruce (L)
  7. C René Rivera ®
  8. 1B James Loney (L)
  9. RHP Noah Syndergaard (L)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

So, probably common knowledge and you would think I would know this considering Bumgarner is on my fantasy team, but I didn't realize that he audibly grunts during each pitch.

Also, not sure who is watching, but regarding the ground ball to SS with a guy at 2nd that ended up in a run down that resulted in a runner 2nd anyways (bottom of the 5th)...I don't understand why "fake" throws are not used more often to avoid long run downs. If Crawford would have just run right at the runner and then faked a throw to 3rd, he probably would have "re-froze" the runner and would have been able to tag the guy himself and the hitter would not have been able to advance to 2nd.

Lastly, what a pitching dual so far. Definitely living up to its billing.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I am having issues with the idea that so many people can't comprehend this Britton issue. Other baseball/statistical arguments actually have some leeway. This is just so straightforward. I won't really destroy him for using some pretty good relievers in matchups (though, really, Britton should have started the 9th)...but it is incomprehensible how somebody (so many former players, especially) cannot wrap their heads around this.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't mean people on this thread. Mostly former/current players and media that are either defending him or failing to explain the simple, clear percentages.

I wanted Baltimore to win, but seeing the awful 'conventional wisdom' of saving your closer for a lead on the road in extras take one on the chin was a justified moment that will hopefully lead to change in said wisdom.

I am absolutely blown away that here in 2016, with an encyclopedia of information and statistics at our disposal, there are actual award winning managers that still believe that you should save your closer on the road in extras and use your inferior pitchers to try to protect a tie game.

I wanted Baltimore to win, but seeing the awful 'conventional wisdom' of saving your closer for a lead on the road in extras take one on the chin was a justified moment that will hopefully lead to change in said wisdom.

I am absolutely blown away that here in 2016, with an encyclopedia of information and statistics at our disposal, there are actual award winning managers that still believe that you should save your closer on the road in extras and use your inferior pitchers to try to protect a tie game.

The thing is that in the playoffs all that bullpen nonsense goes away. Rivera typically pitched the 8th and 9th regardless of the score and most playoff teams do the same. I have no clue what Buck was thinking but he was probably the only person in the stadium thinking it.

Archived