Brewer Fanatic

2016 Wildcard Games: Orioles vs. Blue Jays, Oct. 4, 7:00 PM CDT; Giants vs. Mets, Oct. 5, 7:00 PM CDT [Jays win, 5-2, 11 innings; Giants win, 3-0]

1992casey

Orioles (Chris Tillman) vs. Blue Jays (Marcus Stroman)

Tuesday, October 4, 7:00 PM CDT

Rogers Centre, Toronto

Radio: ESPN Radio

TV: TBS

----------------

Blue Jays win, 5-2, 11 innings

Orioles at Blue Jays Gameday, MLB.com

----------------

Giants (Madison Bumgarner) vs. Mets (Noah Syndergaard)

Wednesday, October 5, 7:00 PM CDT

Citi Field, New York

Radio: ESPN Radio

TV: ESPN

----------------

Giants at Mets Gameday, MLB.com

----------------

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Lineups, Orioles vs. Jays (Tuesday):

Orioles

1. CF Adam Jones ®
  2. LF Hyun Soo Kim (L)
  3. 3B Manny Machado ®
  4. DH Mark Trumbo ®
  5. C Matt Wieters (S)
  6. 1B Chris Davis (L)
  7. 2B Jonathan Schoop ®
  8. RF Michael Bourn (L)
  9. SS J.J. Hardy ®

Jays

1. 2B Devon Travis ®
  2. 3B Josh Donaldson ®
  3. 1B Edwin Encarnación ®
  4. RF José Bautista ®
  5. C Russell Martin ®
  6. SS Troy Tulowitzki ®
  7. DH Michael Saunders (L)
  8. CF Kevin Pillar ®
  9. LF Ezequiel Carrera (L)

I have mixed feelings. Placing a lot more value on winning the division makes a lot of sense, and the one-game play-in accomplishes that. On the other hand, the wildcard team is frequently better than at least one division winner, even a lot better in some years. It's a shame to see a really good team be eliminated in just one game.

Because I see about equal value to each side of the coin, I'm willing to go with the flow.

I was strongly opposed to the wild card play in format when it started, but I have come around and will say now that I like it. Your team wasn't good enough to win the division, but you were good, so here is one chance to go to the division series and play the best team in the league. Bring the best you've got. Tonight's game has been great so far, and tomorrow Syndergaard vs Bumgarner is an exciting matchup.

I have mixed feelings. Placing a lot more value on winning the division makes a lot of sense, and the one-game play-in accomplishes that. On the other hand, the wildcard team is frequently better than at least one division winner, even a lot better in some years. It's a shame to see a really good team be eliminated in just one game.

Because I see about equal value to each side of the coin, I'm willing to go with the flow.

I don't consider this to be the playoffs the same way I don't consider the play in games in the NCAA Basketball Tournament are part of the "big dance". Ultimately it's all semantics. Just win your division and you don't have to worry about getting booted after 1 game.

On the other hand, the wildcard team is frequently better than at least one division winner, even a lot better in some years. It's a shame to see a really good team be eliminated in just one game.

Completely understand this sentiment, but as far as I'm concerned if you're not the best team in your division/conference/league, on principal I'd say you shouldn't even get a chance at winning a championship.

At the same time, I have no problem giving that team a chance (i.e. wild cards) because in the end sports aren't about who is best. It's about setting a competition, then letting the teams go out and compete for the title. Often times, the best team doesn't win, and that's one of the great things about sports.

I am not Shea Vucinich

I have just been waiting for a home run to take the lead and win the game but it keeps not happening.

Well, there ya go.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Agreed you don't want Ubaldo in that situation but what were their other choices? I don't know the answer, but I do know they went to the pen after 4 & 1/3 so the bullpen is pretty exhausted by the 11th or 12 inning.

Um...Zach Britton - the guy that has a fairly decent shot at winning the AL Cy Young this year. Inexcusable to leave him in the pen for this game just because the Orioles were never presented with a 'save situation'. Guess he'll be available for the save next Opening Day.

Agreed you don't want Ubaldo in that situation but what were their other choices? I don't know the answer, but I do know they went to the pen after 4 & 1/3 so the bullpen is pretty exhausted by the 11th or 12 inning.

Zach Britton.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived