Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Starters in September

Greenleaf1

Here's some numbers of Brewers starting pitchers in September.

I have Jungmann in here, and will put Suter in with relievers in a separate post, since the majority of their innings came as starter/reliever, respectively.

Ranking these in order of best to worst (in my opinion):

1. Wily Peralta: 31.2 IP, 2.84 ERA, 3.43 FIP, 24 SO, 1.17 WHIP

2. Zach Davies: 24.0 IP, 3.38 ERA, 3.48 FIP, 18 SO, 1.208 WHIP

3. Chase Anderson: 27.1 IP, 1.98 ERA, 4.21 FIP, 17 SO, 1.21 WHIP

4. Junior Guerra: 14.1 IP, 1.88 ERA, 4.12 FIP, 10 SO, 1.40 WHIP

5. Matt Garza: 21.0 IP, 4.29 ERA, 3.91 FIP, 14 SO, 1.43 WHIP

6. Taylor Jungmann: 6.0 IP, 3.00 ERA, 5.65 FIP, 5 SO, 1.17 WHIP (1 start, 2 relief appearances)

7. Jimmy Nelson: 27.2 IP, 5.53 ERA, 6.04 FIP, 23 SO, 1.554 WHIP

Pretty strong finish for most. I told my dad a few weeks ago that I thought it was entirely possible that Wily Peralta could be the opening day starter in 2017, and I still think it's possible. Probably whoever is pitching best between Peralta/Davies/Guerra is going to get it. Much better position than I thought we'd be in several months ago.

Even though Anderson's numbers were better, he still only averaged 5.5 innings per start. Not sure if it was a conscious decision to pull him early, even when he was pitching well, but he really needs to go deeper into games to be a useful starter.

I think some of it was a conscious decision. But it also seems that in a couple of those games, he could have easily continued had he not been needed to be pulled for a pinch hitter.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Could those FIP to ERA numbers be the result of better defense? Small sample I know
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Even though Anderson's numbers were better, he still only averaged 5.5 innings per start. Not sure if it was a conscious decision to pull him early, even when he was pitching well, but he really needs to go deeper into games to be a useful starter.

Could just be me, but I feel like Counsell really liked to pull starters early this season. If you weren't dominating getting pulled after 5 innings or if you ran into a jam in the 6th inning he wouldn't hesitate to pull you. This was really the case with Anderson and his stats will back it up. Look up his game logs and you will see he was often pulled early even if pitching well. Rarely ever threw 100 pitches and a ton of the times 85 or less.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2016-starter-pitching.shtml

Brewers starters averaged 5.5 IP per start, which was towards the bottom of MLB, but the range is very tight, from 5.3-6.1. They were about in the same position in number of pitches per start.

Maybe more telling is that there were 37 games where a Brewers starter threw at least 100 pitches (Anderson had 4 of those; Nelson and Guerra both had 9). Only the Dodgers and Pirates had fewer 100+ pitch starts. The Brewers also had the most 80-99 pitch starts in baseball, so it seems to have been at least a little intentional that they were pulling pitchers before 100 pitches.

Rarely ever threw 100 pitches and a ton of the times 85 or less.

He threw 100 pitches 4 times. He threw 85 or less (not counting his relief appearance, or the game where he left after getting hit by a ball) 10 times. I guess I would not use the terms "rarely" or "a ton" as far as his pitch counts. More than usual shorter outings? Probably. Again not including his relief outing or the 2/3 of an inning outing, he averaged 89+ pitches per start.

I've thought in the past with Roenicke that he would wait too long to pull pitchers, so I don't have a problem with short starts when pitchers aren't on their A-game, especially when we had the best bullpen ERA in the NL after the All-Star Break. Work to your strengths, build confidence in your pitchers: a 5 inning good start will do more for Anderson than sending him back out in the 6th when he's struggling a little bit and have him give up a few runs before pulling him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Could just be me, but I feel like Counsell really liked to pull starters early this season. If you weren't dominating getting pulled after 5 innings or if you ran into a jam in the 6th inning he wouldn't hesitate to pull you. This was really the case with Anderson and his stats will back it up. Look up his game logs and you will see he was often pulled early even if pitching well. Rarely ever threw 100 pitches and a ton of the times 85 or less.

Not sure how this is tracked but I'd be curious to know what Counsell did during "high leverage" situations. Joe Maddon is notorious for taking guys out in the 5th and 6th if the game is tight and there are men on base. He figures the game could be won or lost in that inning and in that AB.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived