Brewer Fanatic

Brewers to Carolina for High A Ball!

JDBrewCrew
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This has a chance to be one of the better High A teams the Brewers have had in a while at least from a prospect perspective.

"Some of the Brewers' best young players figure to start next season at the Class-A Advanced level. Those could include 2016 first-round draft pick Corey Ray, reigning Brewers minor-league player of the year Isan Diaz, pitchers Phil Bickford, Cody Ponce, Marcos Diplan, Kodi Medeiros and Devin Williams and infielders Jake Gatewood, Lucas Erceg, among others."

Above quote is from OnMilwaukee.com

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This has a chance to be one of the better High A teams the Brewers have had in a while at least from a prospect perspective.

"Some of the Brewers' best young players figure to start next season at the Class-A Advanced level. Those could include 2016 first-round draft pick Corey Ray, reigning Brewers minor-league player of the year Isan Diaz, pitchers Phil Bickford, Cody Ponce, Marcos Diplan, Kodi Medeiros and Devin Williams and infielders Jake Gatewood, Lucas Erceg, among others."

I assume Nathan Kirby will be in Carolina at some point next season as well. BTW, I am really looking forward to watching Nathan Kirby pitch next year.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Great news. Would love if they work out the ownership stake. This really was a critical piece - such a difference between strong, very ideal affiliates at A/A+/AA versus a huge gap in the middle. Hopefully they can solidify the other pieces of the development pipeline over the next couple years as well.

Hopefully some of those guys get up to Biloxi by mid-season, including Ray, Bickford, and Ponce.

It will be a clean slate for the hitters, so hopefully they can get rolling.

Keep in mind that the CL is expanding from eight to 10 teams this year. My guess is that the five teams in the Carolinas will be the South division and the five teams north of NC will make up the North division.

Tune In Radio carries most all games on line and I think you can get most of the league teams through through TI. Of course, I prefer the Mudcat broadcast.

Hello everyone. New to the board. First, excited to find what looks like a great board for discussing minor league ball. As someone that has attended many Mudcat games over the years and is also local to the Mudcats park, I say welcome to the Carolina League! When the announcement was made today I will be totally honest, I was shocked. I was betting the owner, Steve Bryant, would opt for the Rockies. The Low A affiliate for the Rockies is located here in North Carolina (Asheville) and I thought it would be advantageous for Colorado to align with Carolina. Some of you guys may recall that when the Carolina Mudcats were in the AA Southern League back in the late '90's, they were an affiliate of the Rockies. So the Rockies already had a history with Carolina. The Mudcats owner opted out of that affiliation after the agreement ended as he was convinced there was not enough talent in the pipeline to go another round. Anyway, the reason that Bryant chose the Brewers over the Rockies this time was that he was convinced when the Brewers GM was here that the organization would provide a lot of talent through here. After my initial surprise, I am starting to warm to the idea. Personally, I am glad to see Atlanta go, not a fan. Have a lot to learn about the Brewers organization but look forward to it.

I'm getting long late in the night so I'll quit here for now. Looking forward to picking back up on being a part of the board.

Again, welcome to the league and chatting here.

Muddie, glad to have you in the fold. One thing I can attest to is that we have a great collection of fans on this minor league forum very passionate about following the development of the Brewers farm system. Look forward to having you contribute to the discussion, and first-hand reports from games are always much appreciated! As you will come to find Mass Haas is a wizard when it comes to covering the organizations minor league affiliates in the Link Report, and some of the rest of us chip in as much as possible. Hope you enjoy the site and look forward to having you aboard!

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via the Shuck Dynasty Blog:

Getting to know the Carolina Mudcats – A Q&A with Mudcats broadcaster @GregYoungJr

Good stuff, in addition to the photo of David Stearns and Milwaukee brass on the field in Zebulon you'll see, here's another at the negotiating table via the News Observer's Nikolaus Johnson

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/mlb/a6tx1g/picture105619141/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/Brewers_Mudcats_Negotiations_9_28_2016_PhotoByNIKOLAUS_01

Great pic! If any of you guys ever get to Zebulon, there is a restaurant that sits along the right field line that overlooks the field. The restaurant is called Cattails. This is very likely where this photo was taken. The radio guy, Greg Young, is a nice guy. Good piece.

Very exciting news. I live in Holly Springs, a suburb on the south side of Raleigh (not sure I would call Zebulon a suburb). It's about a 30/45 minute trip to the ball park. The stadium itself is definitely small and a bit antiquated. I will say the owners make up for a lot of that with the experience. My kids love going, almost more than the much more upscale park in Durham. It's a very quaint feel and the players are always accessible for the kids.

My kids still have a t-shirt that was a giveaway one night. They were able to fill the shirt with autographs including those of Francisco Lindor and Tyler Naquin. Others may disagree but I have never failed to really enjoy a game there.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Very exciting news. I live in Holly Springs, a suburb on the south side of Raleigh (not sure I would call Zebulon a suburb). It's about a 30/45 minute trip to the ball park. The stadium itself is definitely small and a bit antiquated. I will say the owners make up for a lot of that with the experience. My kids love going, almost more than the much more upscale park in Durham. It's a very quaint feel and the players are always accessible for the kids.

My kids still have a t-shirt that was a giveaway one night. They were able to fill the shirt with autographs including those of Francisco Lindor and Tyler Naquin. Others may disagree but I have never failed to really enjoy a game there.

welcome to the board, we look forward to first hand accounts on this board when you make it to games.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
With the move to the Carolina League, Brewers will face affiliates for Boston (Salem), Baltimore (Frederick), and Washington (Potomac), teams that have not been Link Report opponents (outside of the DSL) in various stages of a long, long time.

Archived