Brewer Fanatic

If I had told you in July 2015...

JohnBriggs12

* Jimmy Nelson - 32 starts, 5.12 ERA

* Wily Perlta - 31 starts, sent to AAA during year, and finish with a 4.83 ERA

* Matt Garza - 19 starts with a 4.33 ERA

* Chase Anderson - 31 starts with a 5.09 ERA

Where did you get your numbers? They all are off from the ERA's I'm seeing. Not saying your point isn't right but just unclear on the numbers thing.

He listed their FIP not ERA.

Ya my mistake I was looking at their overall numbers and was reading FIP but wrote down ERA ... In the words of Harry Doyle - "I don't know what the hell he is thinking"

The correct decision was made: dismantle and rebuild.

1st: no rebuild = no D Stearns

2nd: no players like Villar, Kyle Davies, Chase Anderson, etc...

3rd: A Carlos Gomez that was mediocre (Texas) or putrid (Houston)

4th: Lind (& others) at 1b instead of Carter

5th: putrid farm system with little help on the way vs current state.

6th: state of the Divison (Cubs asending, Pirates/ Cardinals remaining relevant)

Ultimately, a rebuild was needed, Be it starting after 2014 season, mid way thru 2015 or starting right now. Getting it going was a good call.

What if I told you I would still rather rebuild then squeak in as WC this year, get killed in the playoffs, and delay the process of becoming a legitimate contender another three years.

Yes. I don't want the Brewers to be the Herb Kohl Bucks. Patch together a team good enough to get the 8th playoff spot and get swept in the first round.

That's what I was thinking. Briggs is Herb Kohl and he thinks this is a good strategy.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If we'd known all that, would the narrative coming from ownership that they had no chance the next couple years so lets dismantle the roster and start over make sense?

The narrative was never 'dismantle' anything. The narrative from the team was how do we build a team that can be competitive on a consistent basis. You aren't rebuilding or retooling or dismantling or whatever term you want to use just to 'start over.' You're putting in a plan to create a winning structure - a structure that will hopefully last for an extended period of time - not just a year here and a year there.

My first thought was ok we made the wild card game, now who's pitching?

Zach Davies? :laughing

Our best starter who hasn't been shut down? Sounds like the right choice to me.

Good question on who starts.

Why is a pitcher from Baltimore starting for the Crew??? If no rebuild there is no trade of Parra to the O's for Zach in late summer 2015

I would guess maybe Mike Fiers starts the game..

That 85-86 wins would secure an NL wild card berth in 2016.

You would be WRONG! Both wild card winners won 87 games. This year is an anomaly in that all previous wild card winners won at least 88 games.

I'm amazed that having lived through 2014 you want to go through that again. Because the scenario you are laying out is basically 2014 all over again. A team that got lucky, out played its projections and didn't belong in the playoffs. Where would we be in 2017? Back where we were in 2015. An older team with out much talent that should have started rebuilding the year prior, but didn't because of a pipe dream.

Personally I'd rather be where we are now with the #1 rated farm system, than go back to 2015.

My first thought was ok we made the wild card game, now who's pitching?

Zach Davies? :laughing

Our best starter who hasn't been shut down? Sounds like the right choice to me.

The point is what good is making the playoffs if Zach Davies is your best starter?

Archived