Brewer Fanatic

Brewers to announce largest-ever capital project at Miller Park (Latest: multimillion dollar concessions project, post 74)

1992casey
Pnut butter burger?!? That sounds like an unnecessary pairing.

Technically is the Barrie Burger - Nueske's bacon, American cheese, and natural chunky pnut butter. A bacon peanut butter cheeseburger.

If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.

Probably my favorite food item at Miller Park. I think it has surpassed my love of the Cactus League Nachos.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as I'm only paying for myself, coughing up the cash for a medium size soft drink is fine. It's more convenient than carrying something in. If I were bringing a family, I'd carry in the drinks, partly because of the cost savings and partly to deter the inevitability of something being spilled.

Bringing in something like subs from Cousins or Subway is pretty close to the cost of buying at the concession stands. That doesn't help much when I'm only paying for myself. Plus, it's boring to eat things I can eat without going to a game. With a family, it might be more convenient to carry in simply to avoid having to go to multiple stands with children in tow. But depending on what kids like to eat, I don't see cost as a big differentiator. Actually, I think I'd feed a family before going to the game. That way, I'd only be buying or carrying in snacks rather than meals.

Water is definitely overpriced. Bring it in. I only buy it if I'm parched.

Peanuts are a good thing to carry in. Besides the aforementioned cost, it's easy to carry in more than you need because they carry out just as easily as they carry in.

Because I'm almost always driving and because I frequently sit in the family section, I don't buy beer. But I wouldn't be blown away by paying for one or two. While the prices are definitely more than the corner tavern, they're in line with restaurants and some of the nicer bars. Price comparisons aside, the cost is enough to discourage some (but not all) from drinking too much. Plus, profits from beer sales should hopefully reduce the need to charge higher prices for other menu items.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

At least Brewer fans have the option of bringing in food.

Outside food & beverage (all types) was banned from the park in Cleveland years ago. On top of that all bags/ backpacks/ purses are subject to screening search upon entry (and yes, all items are opened and looked into).

I personally believe this has had an unintended impact on attendance, fewer families and people going knowing they have to buy anything they want at the park.

On the positive side, the park has taken steps to have a food variety for people tastes and needs. Even had a couple subway stands inside the concourse.

Renovation over past 2 years has expanded the possible food options. Additionally, the club does at least 6 (perhaps its now 12) dollar dog nights, some tied to firework shows to help defray the costs and create family outing atmosphere.

I believe that all MLB parks have similar screening of bags and all that.

Banning all food would be a significant hardship. As an example, parents of toddlers tend to always have some kind of munchable food on hand. And people with dietary issues, especially diabetics, tend to fall into that boat too.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I get the cactus league nachos most every game a I go to; not sure why I guess it is tradition more than anything. I can only get to 2-3 games a year so I don't really care if I spend some money at the park. If I was a season ticket holder I doubt I would get food all that much.

I get the cactus league nachos most every game a I go to; not sure why I guess it is tradition more than anything. I can only get to 2-3 games a year so I don't really care if I spend some money at the park. If I was a season ticket holder I doubt I would get food all that much.

And that's the problem. They can charge you anything they want and you will pay it for it's only two time maybe three and they can get away with it for the crowd is people mostly like you coming 2 times and less of the people that come 40 plus times.

It would be alright if they rised concessions prices and made the season ticket discount day to be every games and give them a bigger discount. Where they make there profit on the fans that only comes a few times and giving a break to the fans that are there all the time.

Is bear expensive at Miller Park?

I gave paws when a vendor told me how much it cost. It's clearly a case of predatory pricing.

Hahaha. I'm shocked no one caught this gem yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Banning all food would be a significant hardship. As an example, parents of toddlers tend to always have some kind of munchable food on hand. And people with dietary issues, especially diabetics, tend to fall into that boat too.

Sports venues that don't allow food and drink to be carried in typically make exceptions for medical reasons (i.e. diabetics, food allergies) and infants.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
Community Moderator
Why can't we have nice things.

That's the tradeoff to having Miller Park surrounded by parking lots instead of downtown. Not saying one is superior to the other, just that a Cardinal-style development only makes sense in a dense urban setting.

That's the tradeoff to having Miller Park surrounded by parking lots instead of downtown. Not saying one is superior to the other, just that a Cardinal-style development only makes sense in a dense urban setting.

Sorry but I don't buy this as an excuse. There are ways to buy up and build around Miller Park that would make it much more of an experience to go to ball games and STILL keeping the tradition tailgating alive. This just falls under being a perennial loser and living in a small market in baseball.

Exciting news for Cardinals fans and I guess baseball fans altogether though. Looks to be similar to what the Packers are doing around Lambeau.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Sorry but I don't buy this as an excuse. There are ways to buy up and build around Miller Park that would make it much more of an experience to go to ball games and STILL keeping the tradition tailgating alive. This just falls under being a perennial loser and living in a small market in baseball.

Exciting news for Cardinals fans and I guess baseball fans altogether though. Looks to be similar to what the Packers are doing around Lambeau.

The Brewers aren't going to spend $220m+ on the area surrounding Miller Park because it would be a bad investment. The area around Miller Park is parking lots and nothing of interest near by. It just isn't feasible. Fans have to drive to Miller Park. You can't just walk there. It's not convenient and you won't see it as a place to stop year round. It has all to do with not being in a downtown setting with lots around it. No one wants to live in a fancy residential building way outside downtown so why would we build one like the Cardinals are doing?

The Brewers aren't going to spend $220m+ on the area surrounding Miller Park because it would be a bad investment. The area around Miller Park is parking lots and nothing of interest near by. It just isn't feasible. Fans have to drive to Miller Park. You can't just walk there. It's not convenient and you won't see it as a place to stop year round. It has all to do with not being in a downtown setting with lots around it. No one wants to live in a fancy residential building way outside downtown so why would we build one like the Cardinals are doing?

A bad investment, probably. But if they did build up the area then there would be something of interest nearby. That would be the point. People already stop year round at Fridays and the team store. Not a massive amount of people no. And plenty do walk to Miller Park during the season. Yes mostly frugal ones who did drive from somewhere else and don't want to pay for parking so they park on the street or at a business on Miller Park Way. But the ballpark is still accessible to walkers. And to say that no one wants to live in a fancy residential building way outside downtown is just false. There are fancy residential buildings all over the place in the suburbs.

Community Moderator

A bad investment, probably. But if they did build up the area then there would be something of interest nearby. That would be the point. People already stop year round at Fridays and the team store. Not a massive amount of people no. And plenty do walk to Miller Park during the season. Yes mostly frugal ones who did drive from somewhere else and don't want to pay for parking so they park on the street or at a business on Miller Park Way. But the ballpark is still accessible to walkers. And to say that no one wants to live in a fancy residential building way outside downtown is just false. There are fancy residential buildings all over the place in the suburbs.

You need high land values to have high density development. The land around Miller Park has no value because it is an island. It's blocked by expressways and the VA. On the 25% of days that the ballpark is hosting an event, it's predominately a commuter destination--and automobiles are the only reasonable way to access it. It's empty the other 75% of the time. You can maybe walk from a few of the nearby neighborhoods, but those are low-density as well. Miller Park Way has already been developed in a low-density, suburban style that again is again friendly to cars but not to any other mode of transportation. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with cars--but like you said, there are residential buildings "all over" the suburbs because you can put them anywhere you want if the residents are going to depend on cars to get around.

I do see some scenarios that could make the area more enticing. Miller Park is at the junction of major bikeways which could be leveraged if Milwaukee continues to expand its bike trail network. If you combine that with some form of permanent public transportation such as light rail or a streetcar with easy access to downtown, the Miller Park area could make a nice transportation hub. But I still can't imagine why anyone besides a serious baseball fan would choose that over living in one of the more attractive neighborhoods closer to downtown.

And to say that no one wants to live in a fancy residential building way outside downtown is just false. There are fancy residential buildings all over the place in the suburbs.

Yes with other stuff to do around it etc.

Miller Park is in the middle of nowhere. It is just the reality.

This is downtown St Louis and within walking distance of their biggest tourist draw. It wouldn't make any kind of sense to do this kind of thing near Miller Park.

It is definitely a tradeoff too. We visited to go to a game and arrived the night before and the traffic was insane due to the game. Just getting to our hotel took forever.

And yet, Green Bay is able to build a monstrous new area around Lambeau Field. A city of about 100,000 people. Don't buy it for a minute that it has to be in a downtown of a major city. If you build up an area and give people a reason to come there, they will.

Titletown District: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-press-release/article-1/Park-components-finalized-for-phase-one-of-Titletown-District/513660d7-47a0-431d-a3af-ab3e340ae30b

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't even get why people are genuinely upset about this. First of all, who cares? Miller Park isn't right in the heart of Milwaukee. In fact, it's nicer for entering and leaving the ballpark that it's not. I'm willing to bet the same people complaining that the surrounding area isn't nice would be the same people complaining about parking/entering/leaving the stadium on gamedays.

Speaking of those people, they're likely the same ones who would expect this surrounding area around Miller Park to be completely privately financed. We seldom see that, so that's essentially out of the question. These same people would complain about tax enhancements to finance this project.

And what would this surrounding area add? If it were shops and restaurants, would that cut into the tailgate aspect? Wouldn't the Wisconsin faithful just tailgate rather than sit down at a restaurant for the same burger they could make on the grill for $1 rather than $15? At the shops are you going to spend $200 on a jersey when you can find them online with free shipping for 65% less? More economics than I intended to post about but the reality is I don't think it's feasible to build up the surrounding area of MP, and just because the Cardinals are doing it doesn't mean fans have to be upset with the franchise for dumping hundreds of millions into an area that won't be a significant money maker.

Building up the area could create a lot of jobs. It gets people to spend money. Maybe you need to check your economics. Gotta spend money to make money.

Building up the area could create a lot of jobs. It gets people to spend money. Maybe you need to check your economics. Gotta spend money to make money.

People want to be in the Lambeau area...businesses want to be there. No one wants to be anywhere near Miller Park when there isnt a baseball game. It would probably take billions and better public transit to make the area worthwhile when baseball games aren't going on.

I wouldn't call downtown STL a dense urban settlement. It's fairly well avoided. If there isn't a game going on, downtown is a deadzone. Ballpark village is nice, and I'm sure some luxury condos will sell for it's proximity to the stadium, but it's a novelty at best. The big money in STL lives in the 'burbs, and a bit further away in Central West End. Ballpark Village has succeeded because it has basically put every "ballpark" bar out of business.

And it would take business away from the bars and restaurants on Bluemound that are packed on Brewer gamedays. Most likely a lot of people lose their jobs and some of those places close.

Archived