Brewer Fanatic

Brewers to announce largest-ever capital project at Miller Park (Latest: multimillion dollar concessions project, post 74)

1992casey

The one big positive I took out of it was that there will be 33% more places to purchase, as well as a couple of hundred more workers to hopefully create much shorter lines.

Most games this year it wasn't a problem, but for the few times they had a sellout, lines were ridiculous.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surprised it hasn't been said yet but this is such a Brewer move. Make a big deal about something only to severely underwhelm.

Except they didn't really make a big deal out of it. It was more like all of us and our wishful thinking blowing it way out of proportion. The one guy mentioned it about 2 weeks ago really casually. They then mentioned a press conference not even half a week before it was set to take place. Honestly I don't see where they made a big deal out of anything. They had a big project taking place and did a small press conference.

Saying they were making an announcement about the largest capital project they've ever undertaken and having a press conference on the field with a fancy video all streamed live seems like a big deal to me. This was worth only a press release.

I think the announcement may have been geared more towards season ticket holders than people who are there a handful of times a year or less. If you're at the park 20, 40, 60, 80 times a year, I would guess that increasing the variety and accessibility of the food options is actually a pretty welcome perk. It's also a selling point for would-be season ticket holders. Buy a 20-pack, never eat the same food twice.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Surprised it hasn't been said yet but this is such a Brewer move. Make a big deal about something only to severely underwhelm.

because it's not unique to the Brewers. PR/marketers do stuff like this all the time.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Honest question, have you been to a bar downtown anywhere other than Milwaukee? $7 or $8 Miller Lites are not uncommon. That price really isn't that outrageous.

Wisconsin has one of the lowest distilled spirits tax and one of the lowest beer taxes nationwide, so collectively, we get a distorted view.

Every game my friends go to, they buy dinner at Bombers in the stadium. They both get off work after 6 most days, so they go right to the ballpark.

For them, the $9 spent there is good value

That is a ridiculous price. You can get a pint of actually good beer for much less than that all over Madison.

No kidding. If someone tried charging me $7 or $8 for 16-20 oz of Miller Lite anywhere other than a stadium or concert I'd laugh in their face.

I'm not a fan of AJ Bombers.

You are not allowed to make that statement unless you have had the pnut butter burger. :)

Speaking of AJ Bombers and the pnut butter burger, that reminded me of Summerfest. I went with a few friends this year for the first time since the early 2000's. One of the guys commented about how he couldn't believe the quality and "big names" of the bands we were seeing "for free".

I held up one of the many $8.50 16oz cans of Leinies that we had been drinking and said, "we're not seeing them for free".

Part of the reason that beer is expensive is to reduce excessive consumption, DUIs, and unruly fan behavior. It won't stop it, but you don't see ads for the Two Fisted Slopper between innings anymore either.

It's also a selling point for would-be season ticket holders. Buy a 20-pack, never eat the same food twice.

And season seat holders get 25% off most concessions on select games. In 2016 there were 25 such home dates, more than last year and including some weekend games and Cubs games. (Aside: being able to walk past the lined up hordes of cub fans for early entry was satisfying this year.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Honest question, have you been to a bar downtown anywhere other than Milwaukee? $7 or $8 Miller Lites are not uncommon. That price really isn't that outrageous.

Wisconsin has one of the lowest distilled spirits tax and one of the lowest beer taxes nationwide, so collectively, we get a distorted view.

Every game my friends go to, they buy dinner at Bombers in the stadium. They both get off work after 6 most days, so they go right to the ballpark.

For them, the $9 spent there is good value

That is a ridiculous price. You can get a pint of actually good beer for much less than that all over Madison.

No kidding. If someone tried charging me $7 or $8 for 16-20 oz of Miller Lite anywhere other than a stadium or concert I'd laugh in their face.

I agree that is a high price for a Miller Lite. However, what is being lost here is what the craft brew industry is doing not just here in WI but all accross the United States. It has drastically changed the landscape. Just look at a business who started in Madison and recently moved to Milwaukee MobCraft. https://www.mobcraftbeer.com/ They sell a 4 pack (22 oz bottles) of their craft brew of the month for $25. (Plus $15 for shipping) ... So $40 for 4 beers. And people are paying it. And to be frank, I would rather pay $9 for an IPA, which is the usual going rate at a game vs paying $7 for a miller lite. So keep on increasing the craft beer available at games.

Those are some nicely selected items to drive home your point.

Pick an item then. Ice cream? Brats? Cheeseburgers? What are you going to find at Miller Park that is cheaper, or even modestly more expensive than the same item at a restaurant?

Sheesh I don't think the variety of options they have for under $10 is all that different than me stopping at Qdoba and eating a $8 burrito

How much do you think that very same $8 dollar burrito would be at Miller Park? I guarantee it wouldn't be $8. That's my point. Whether it's unreasonable or not at a restaurant it's going to be even more expensive at the stadium.

If they sell it for $1.00, then they make $0.50 on every hot dog sold. If they sell it for $3.50, then they make $3.00 for every hot dog sold. So, by selling it at the current price, they stand to make six times more profit.

Again, I've never suggested they sell hot dogs for $1 all game every game. You can't just change my argument to make it worse. I understand the math. I get that if you sell it for less you have to sell more of them to make the same profit. Like I said, the Atlanta Falcons just slashed their concession prices. Let's see what happens with that before we claim either of us are right or wrong.

I understand, that you hate they would actually spend money on improving something you have zero use for. But just think, there will be others (and I will guess a good amount) who are really going to like the changes

I don't think you do understand. I don't "hate" anything. It's not my money they are spending so I couldn't care less what they do. I just thought that it was a very underwhelming announcement. And I'm apparently not the only one.

You and I are on the same page with the underwhelming announcement. I think we disagree on the value for what you are getting. Sure the $5 dip and dots or the $5 soda, there isn't value there. I get that. But if you go with some of the more meal type options that are around $10 it is similar to what you would spend at a restaurant that pays a little more attention to quality vs just a regular fast food restaurant. One of my favorite events of summer is going to the Zoo Ala Carte with my family and trying out all the various vendors they bring in. I see Miller Park being similar to that. There are a lot of food options and I am always interested in trying something new. and I find the $10 cost associated with that something new item being fair.

I'm not a fan of AJ Bombers.

You are not allowed to make that statement unless you have had the pnut butter burger. :)

Speaking of AJ Bombers and the pnut butter burger, that reminded me of Summerfest. I went with a few friends this year for the first time since the early 2000's. One of the guys commented about how he couldn't believe the quality and "big names" of the bands we were seeing "for free".

I held up one of the many $8.50 16oz cans of Leinies that we had been drinking and said, "we're not seeing them for free".

Part of the reason that beer is expensive is to reduce excessive consumption, DUIs, and unruly fan behavior. It won't stop it, but you don't see ads for the Two Fisted Slopper between innings anymore either.

Pnut butter burger?!? That sounds like an unnecessary pairing.

Though I think part of my reluctance to try one has to do with the busy-ness and slow service at the Miller Park AJ Bombers. Whenever I went there, it felt like it was their first day in business with all new employees who hadn't quite figured things out yet. And that was a consistent experience with me.

It sounds like they'll have a bigger presence going forward, so maybe I'll see them in a different light and will try their menu again.

Though if someone thinks they're creating Millenial Haute Cuisine by scooping some mac & cheese onto a Pop Tart and topping it off with Cap'n Crunch, that's the kind of junk that turns me away.

I think the announcement may have been geared more towards season ticket holders than people who are there a handful of times a year or less. If you're at the park 20, 40, 60, 80 times a year, I would guess that increasing the variety and accessibility of the food options is actually a pretty welcome perk. It's also a selling point for would-be season ticket holders. Buy a 20-pack, never eat the same food twice.

Agree. And those in the "routine" of going to games are also going to park and head in after a day of work and school, know their way around the park, and explore the options. Those who only get to a couple games a year are going to get to the park a couple hours early, bring their own food, and maybe grab a beer and sausage at the nearest stand to their seats once they get inside.

Technically is the Barrie Burger - Nueske's bacon, American cheese, and natural chunky pnut butter. A bacon peanut butter cheeseburger.

If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.

I don't get the weird food combinations. Just have quality food at a reasonable price and you will sell. I am all for a re-do of the concessions if that means I get a quality burger at a reasonable price.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Technically is the Barrie Burger - Nueske's bacon, American cheese, and natural chunky pnut butter. A bacon peanut butter cheeseburger.

If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.

By chance if I ever find myself in line ahead of you, I promise to not take the last one.

My go to choice that always satisfies is a polish sausage with secret stadium sauce and chopped raw onions. Great stuff!

Typically I bring a cooler with drinks, but usually eat in the park. I'm in favor of more food options and shorter lines. My only beef is that they pre-announced this with the teaser of the largest-ever capital project. That got everyone thinking it would be a game changer for the Miller Park, instead of just an improvement on something that has always been there.

Except they didn't really make a big deal out of it. It was more like all of us and our wishful thinking blowing it way out of proportion. The one guy mentioned it about 2 weeks ago really casually. They then mentioned a press conference not even half a week before it was set to take place. Honestly I don't see where they made a big deal out of anything. They had a big project taking place and did a small press conference.

Saying they were making an announcement about the largest capital project they've ever undertaken and having a press conference on the field with a fancy video all streamed live seems like a big deal to me. This was worth only a press release.

Only a press release? Really? It is a pretty big deal just not the mind blowing ideas we were wishing for. It is a big overhaul to the concourses and hopefully clean them up as there are more portable stands than there should be. Not to mention more high quality food seems to be what a lot of fans prefer these days and more variety the better. I mean a custard stand? That's pretty tempting for me and I typically don't buy overpriced food at a stadium.

And for those complaining they didn't put the money into the team they did just not directly. This is going to make them way more for the team than the initial investment.

I found conflicting information, but this one has nice graphs that tell the general story. The Brewers do not have super cheap beer. It is middle of the pack with the majority of teams. I'd say 20 teams have virtually the same cost while their are approx. 5 outliers above and below.

http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/ranked-price-beer-mlb-stadiums-2016/

The revenue creation part of this is 33% more points of sale. Faster throughput = more revenue per hour for the team, less waiting in line for the fans.

The question isn't whether YOU buy food/drink at the game, it's how long the concessions lines are and how many people choose not to buy because the lines are too long or because the quality of food is poor. I can almost guarantee that market research has teased this out.

Myself, along with friends/family who i attend games with are generally the spender types. We don't fret much over prices when going out for entertainment, but i do loathe waiting in long lines for concessions. It really annoys me to miss a half an inning or longer simply to wait in line for those concessions or be forces to walk a distance to find shorter lines.

So i'm perfectly fine with paying say 5-6 bucks for a brat or 4 bucks for nachos, but i don't want to wait in line 15 minutes between innings to do so.

Pick an item then. Ice cream? Brats? Cheeseburgers? What are you going to find at Miller Park that is cheaper, or even modestly more expensive than the same item at a restaurant?

Miller Park isn't a restaurant though and you must be thinking about fast food, not most restaurants because sit down restaurants will charge anywhere from say 8-15 dollars for a cheeseburger and fries, depending where you go.

I go to Six Flags each year with my kid and two other people. They also charge a ton for concessions. When i go to shows at the Riverside or Pabst Theater, drinks are expensive. Same with anything at the Bradley Center. Concessions at the zoo aren't cheap.

I went and saw Hell or High Water last night. It was 13 dollars for a popcorn and soda combo deal. Individually it would cost more and popcorn is super cheap to make. Pennies per serving. BTW, for anyone reading this, go see that movie.

Nearly any place people attend which has concessions, the items being sold are expensive. It's simply up to attendees on how much they are willing to spend. I generally spend more on concessions than probably the average people by just purchasing whatever i want at that given time regardless of price, but i get why others either feel they can't afford it or justify the costs in their minds. It is what it is and won't change. Concessions at events are pricey.

For gosh sakes, movie theaters charge almost as much for a jumbo diet coke as Miller Park does for a 16oz Miller Lite. If somebody wishes to go out to dinner at a reasonable price, they don't go to a baseball game. If people want to tailgate prior for their food & drink sustenance, or even grab a bite at a local eatery before driving over to the game, by all means do so. Part of the concessions prices being as high as they are is the convenience of having these items available to get without needing to drag 1/2 your refrigerator along in a cooler or go on a grocery run prior to a ballgame. If they weren't making money on concessions priced as they are, prices and menu options would be different.

As long as their upgrades reduce line wait times, I'm all for it - the convenience factor of being able to buy a beer or something more substantial than what the vendors walking through the stadium have to offer gets cloudy when one needs to spend a 1/2 inning waiting for food.

Archived