Brewer Fanatic

Brewers to announce largest-ever capital project at Miller Park (Latest: multimillion dollar concessions project, post 74)

1992casey

According to Rick Schlesinger, in two weeks, the Brewers will be announcing a capital project at Miller Park "that is far greater than anything we have ever done, and far more expensive than we've ever done."

I wonder what it is. Let the speculation begin. :)

Source

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brewery/Koi Pond?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I am hoping for something similar to the Tundra Tailgate Zone they have at Lambeau field. I used to tailgate at Lambeau all the time when we went to Packers games. However, now we don't. We prefer going to Tundra or to Stadium View and enjoying their bands, entertainment, atmosphere for pre-game. They tone down the drink / food cost at those pre-game area's and I find them rather enjoyable. Miller Park is so isolated from anything, I have always hoped they would set something like this up and have it right next to Miller Park as Lambeau does.

Also, having been to 18 parks, I could also see them really expanding the outfield walk area and turning it into a standing room / social area. Many of these parks have setup places like the Pepsi porch at Comerica or Coca Cola rooftop deck at Busch Stadium.

The last item I could see would be upgrading some of the first few rows behind home plate to being more of a luxury area. Almost all the parks have these really high prized wait staff area's behind home now. (Bigger chairs, fully cushioned, private lounge, etc)

According to Rick Schlesinger, in two weeks, the Brewers will be announcing a capital project at Miller Park "that is far greater than anything we have ever done, and far more expensive than we've ever done."

I wonder what it is. Let the speculation begin. :)

Source

I assume the scoreboard would have been the most expensive project to date?.... If so, that was $10M five years ago I believe. So whatever it is would be more than $10M of cost.

As Roderick said, the Brewers spent around $11 million to upgrade their scoreboard. So, if they have a "Far more expensive" project on their hands. I am going with a minimum of $20 million project.

Maybe they will finally add in air conditioning? This would be great news for when they close the roof to the keg and trap in all the heat and humidity with it.

If you're going to have air conditioning, it'd have to be started up well before gametime and the roof would need to remain closed for the duration. You can't expect a result if the roof is closed at the time rain starts. I'm not saying that's good or bad. It's simply how things would need to work.

If the project involves a parking ramp, I'd guess that there'd be something else to go along with it. The extra parking wouldn't be necessary unless current spots are displaced. The Brewers control the lots, so something like that is certainly possible.

The idea of a luxury area behind home plate, as Bombers mentioned, also crossed my mind.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The idea of a luxury area behind home plate, as Bombers mentioned, also crossed my mind.

I don't see it. Yes they lack such seating many parks have, but I think the Brewers like it that way. In this announcement they talked about affordability do you really think they would turn around and announce expensive seating? Not to mention such an addition wouldn't cost millions.

I heard Schlesinger say they wanted to play a basketball game in there at some point. Maybe they are upgrading the heating system so that can happen?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

My guess would be some sort of all-inclusive "tailgate" area outside of the stadium in Right-Center -- or maybe at the Sausage Haus. Plenty of space there, and it's one of the least-used entrances to the park.

After seeing how packed the area outside Friday's was all season.... I wouldn't be surprised.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Also, having been to 18 parks, I could also see them really expanding the outfield walk area and turning it into a standing room / social area. Many of these parks have setup places like the Pepsi porch at Comerica or Coca Cola rooftop deck at Busch Stadium.

That's how the outfield was when the park first opened and it was great. Then they slowly added seating over the years and removed anywhere to stand and watch the game which really sucks. I doubt they'll remove paid seating for non-paying anything but it would be nice.

Didn't the Brewers purchase all the land behind the stadium lot? I thought when it happened they said they planned to make it into restaurants and shops.

Hoping it's moving the walls back, which I've been suggesting for years.

Pretty hard to do that at Miller Park. Nowhere to move them back. Plus that isn't expensive.

Well, that's the expensive part. You create the room. Basically, you reconfigure that area of the stadium, allowing walls to be pushed back (or raised in certain areas.) Could involve pushing Fridays back, adding more seats in LC/RC fields. Lots of things they can do back there.

Enhanced Bud Selig Experience section?

After being there Wednesday night, perhaps holographic fans might be a good idea.

I'm hoping for robot Bob Uecker.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

If the project involves a parking ramp, I'd guess that there'd be something else to go along with it. The extra parking wouldn't be necessary unless current spots are displaced. The Brewers control the lots, so something like that is certainly possible.

I think the parking deck was only mentioned if the freeway widening ended up taking parking and would only be used for employees. And I imagine they would be looking for compensation from the state for the lost parking, similar to what the Zoo is going through. But this would be down the road and certainly not next year.

Community Moderator

IIRC, Miller Park was designed so that A/C could be added later if necessary. So I doubt it's A/C, it wouldn't be that expensive. But it could potentially be part of a larger package that improves the HVAC.

Big investment = big potential returns. It could be a tailgate area but I really like the idea of retrofitting the park to host more winter events. I'm guessing that would involve improving the heating system as well as purchasing moveable stands for the outfield and potentially adjusting the outfield walls to fit a football field. Then you have the opportunity to host a college bowl game, NCAA basketball, concerts in winter, etc. Lots of potential revenue there. Plus the stadium will be more comfortable for early season baseball games.

Making more money in non-baseball events is also a great way to close the revenue gap between the Brewers and larger-market teams.

Plus the stadium will be more comfortable for early season baseball games.

Doesn't the heating system go 30 degrees above the outside temp if needed? That feels pretty dang warm compared to the outside temp as far as baseball games go. For the winter obviously that isn't ideal.

The problem with hosting winter events is the fact there is about to be a state of the art downtown arena very soon. Miller Park doesn't make a ton of sense. All the major events one can think of would be better off going to the new Bucks arena.

Community Moderator

The problem with hosting winter events is the fact there is about to be a state of the art downtown arena very soon. Miller Park doesn't make a ton of sense. All the major events one can think of would be better off going to the new Bucks arena.

There are only so many revenue dollars to go around and the Brewers are competing with the Bucks for those dollars. Plus, the new arena can't host football or soccer.

Plus the stadium will be more comfortable for early season baseball games.

Doesn't the heating system go 30 degrees above the outside temp if needed? That feels pretty dang warm compared to the outside temp as far as baseball games go. For the winter obviously that isn't ideal.

If you want to host a regional final in the NCAA, I don't think +30 degree limit will get you the gig. Could be in the 20's in Milwaukee in March.

Archived