Brewer Fanatic

José Fernández and Two Others Die in Boating Accident (Update, reply 37: Toxicology reports show cocaine + alcohol in JF's system)

brewerfan82
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
do *NOT* watch this if you happen to be cutting onions at the same time. :(

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1189155783/nymmia-marlins-honor-fernandez-with-a-ceremony/?query=fernandez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watched it live---the wife and i were both on the verge of tears. i've never watched a baseball game that was also a funeral, and man thats what it was.

One man declined to go with them on the boating trip. Sensing a not good situation regarding Fernandez having a recent fight with his girlfriend that day(who is pregnant). Really feel for his girlfriend who has to feel just awful. To have a fight and your SO storm out to never make it back.

The text conversation is hard to read. The man that decided not to go just sensed that it was a bad idea. One of the men that did go with texted him, "Don't worry it isn't my time."

Article also touches on the possibility of alcohol being involved. It was Fernandez's boat and just 90minutes before the crash he was at a popular party scene. Toxicology has not come back.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/fernandezs-friend-sent-ominous-text-prior-to-crash/ar-BBwF3Xa?li=BBnb7Kz

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/new-details-emerge-in-jose-fernandezs-deadly-boating-accident-154439898.html

Appears they were coming in from late night/early morning (3:15 am) fishing, didn't see the breakwater, and hit it at full speed. Boating at night is very difficult, and it's easy to see how this happened. Weren't drinking or doing anything wrong... just a tragic accident.

Eerily like the Indians tragedy. I don't think that was as late at night, but it was also in Florida at night when dark and going full speed.

Boating at night is dangerous. Hopefully others can learn from this and it ultimately saves more lives than it costed.

Sadly sometimes the combination of immaturity and wealth ends tragically. Hope all the young men with successful careers in athletics making big salaries take heed. Taking a boat out into the ocean to blow off steam in the middle of the night after an argument with your pregnant girlfriend might seem like a good idea to a 24 year old guy but not to most mature adults. Too bad his friends were just as immature. Wasn't he scheduled to pitch later that day?

José had been bumped back a day to Monday. That would have allowed Adam Conley to pitch on Sunday and would have set José up to pitch on the last day of the season if the Marlins were still in contention.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/new-details-emerge-in-jose-fernandezs-deadly-boating-accident-154439898.html

Appears they were coming in from late night/early morning (3:15 am) fishing, didn't see the breakwater, and hit it at full speed. Boating at night is very difficult, and it's easy to see how this happened. Weren't drinking or doing anything wrong... just a tragic accident.

Eerily like the Indians tragedy. I don't think that was as late at night, but it was also in Florida at night when dark and going full speed.

Boating at night is dangerous. Hopefully others can learn from this and it ultimately saves more lives than it costed.

It was an evening accident in 93. Reason why they did not see the newly extended dock. Also had 1 survivor, Bobby Ojeda becasue he was known to slouch. otherwise his head would have slammed into the dock like the other two guys. All 3 in that boat were major league pitchers (Olin -tribe closer, Crews -reliever, Ojeda -starter

• 1 month later...

Recent information from toxicology reports indicate Fernandez had cocaine in his system and his BAC was almost twice the legal limit at the time of his death.

They keep saying nobody is sure who was driving the boat at the time of the accident, although it was his boat, Fernandez was seen driving it when it left the last bar/club they were seen at, and the other two men on it had little to no boating experience.

Looking now like he made a series of terrible decisions that ultimately led to him killing himself and two friends - suddenly the tribute the Marlins did for him, while touching, is a lot less poignant when its focus is on a guy whose selfish decisions cost the lives of two others. And those decisions prevented his yet to be born child from knowing his/her biological father.

Guessing if Cy Young voting has already been closed that alot of writers are wishing they could get a redo if they voted for him.

Recent information from toxicology reports indicate Fernandez had cocaine in his system and his BAC was almost twice the legal limit at the time of his death.

They keep saying nobody is sure who was driving the boat at the time of the accident, although it was his boat, Fernandez was seen driving it when it left the last bar/club they were seen at, and the other two men on it had little to no boating experience.

Looking now like he made a series of terrible decisions that ultimately led to him killing himself and two friends - suddenly the tribute the Marlins did for him, while touching, is a lot less poignant when its focus is on a guy whose selfish decisions cost the lives of two others. And those decisions prevented his yet to be born child from knowing his/her biological father.

Guessing if Cy Young voting has already been closed that alot of writers are wishing they could get a redo if they voted for him.

I don't think he should win in the first place but I don't know why that new information should have any effect at all on voting. It's not the "Best pitcher and also really good guy of the year" award.

Nope, I doubt any writers care. Most of them are openly supporting him after the latest news. Some people are even mad these results came out. Good job to the Marlins for already stating they were retiring his number before these results cane out. It was almost a given he was drunk and the cocaine(among other stuff) is the cherry on the top. Celebrating a man who was a cocaine addict and likely drove drunk all while killing two people. All just brushed off to the side because he was a good guy outside of those apparent issues....who am I kidding he is still a good guy because he is famous.

He may have been a good guy outside of this, but so are a lot of people. If and when it's decided he was driving retiring his number and trying to remember him forever is a bit embarrassing. It's still tragic, but him being a hero...not so much.

The reason people would have voted for him would've been primarily for sentimental reasons...those reasons now don't look as lily white as they did a month or so ago

I agree he shouldn't win it in 2016 due to on field performance compared to other pitchers in the running, but I bet he has better than a 50-50 chance to win it based on what is now a misleading perception of his character

Maybe Fernandez being "In Love with the coco" has some to do with his request to only be drafted by Miami or College bound.

[sarcasm]Because cocaine is only available in Miami.[/sarcasm]

Grasping at something here and I have no idea what it is.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Nope, I doubt any writers care. Most of them are openly supporting him after the latest news. Some people are even mad these results came out. Good job to the Marlins for already stating they were retiring his number before these results cane out. It was almost a given he was drunk and the cocaine(among other stuff) is the cherry on the top. Celebrating a man who was a cocaine addict and likely drove drunk all while killing two people. All just brushed off to the side because he was a good guy outside of those apparent issues....who am I kidding he is still a good guy because he is famous.

He may have been a good guy outside of this, but so are a lot of people. If and when it's decided he was driving retiring his number and trying to remember him forever is a bit embarrassing. It's still tragic, but him being a hero...not so much.

Kinda of a stretch to say he was an addict.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm not sure what's to be gained by ripping the deceased. The toxicology reports don't tell me anything about his character, only the condition of his body at the time of death.

Should this serve as a lesson for us on the dangers of drink and drugs? Sure. But I'm not going to cast aspersions about him because of cocaine and alcohol. Let him rest in peace. His is a story of unfulfilled promise and deadly risk.

If I were Cuban born player I'd imagine I'd prefer to live in Miami as well, has nothing to do with the drugs.

Having said that I think this is a little bit less of a tragedy given the circumstances. Someone died way too young and it is awful but the fact they put themselves in a bad situation to make it happen is a lot different than it being a complete random accident.

Wasn't buying that from the start

Nope, I doubt any writers care. Most of them are openly supporting him after the latest news. Some people are even mad these results came out. .

One side of the mouth they'll cry the news went public...while crying out the other side of the mouth when homicide investigations such as this and other police investigations are not transparent. Unreal.

My jeez... Here was a "kid" who invigorated a large population and gave people laughs, enjoyment, and hope. Nobody knows what he may have been dealing with. There are still too many details to know-and we may never know. Either way, none of this makes him a bad person or the accident any less sad. It's a tragic mistake that proved costly.

Every...single...day, my paper is littered with second, third, and fourth OWI arrests caused by people from 30-50 years old but nobody bats an eye. It's just assumed that this is the world we live in.

I don't condone any of it but c'mon...

Archived