Brewer Fanatic

José Fernández and Two Others Die in Boating Accident (Update, reply 37: Toxicology reports show cocaine + alcohol in JF's system)

brewerfan82

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, such an amazing young pitcher. Arguably the game's best pitcher. When was the last time we lost such a star?? Adenhart was a young talented guy. About 20-25 years ago the Indians had the boating tragedy.

Nothing immediately comes to mind outside of Adenhart and Taveras.

Fernandez apparently was imprisoned three times in his native Cuba for attempting to defect before successfully doing so at age 16, when he jumped overboard to save his mother in the process.

http://grantland.com/features/marlins-rookie-pitcher-jose-fernandez-journey-cuban-defector-mlb-all-star/

He was an all-timer at age 24. I knew he was an elite MLB pitcher, but did not realize how he looks compared to the all-time greats. Sorting on post-deadball era (1920 - 2016), >450 IP, starters, here are some figures:

2.67 ERA (2)

2.43 FIP (1)

11.25 K/9 (2)

4.21 K/BB (13)

67 ERA- (2nd)

64 FIP- (1st)

.206 AVG (6th)

1.05 WHIP (4th)

Found a list of tragedy. Includes Thurmon Munson, Darryl Kile, Roberto Clemente, and several recent players I hadn't realized died (joe Kennedy, Tommy hunter, and Geremi Gonzalez).

What a tragedy. As Funketown mentioned, he was amazing. I hope the Hall finds a way to honor his career.

Wow, this is shocking. I can't think of a comparable situation, where an established young star was suddenly gone. Not trying to compare tragedies, but for some reason it seems to have a more visceral impact than when a prospect (Adenhart, Tavares) or a veteran player (Munson, Clemente - though of course it is a ridiculous context in which we consider people in their 30s "old") dies in an accident.

to give proper respect to the lives of the two friends who also lost their lives in this tragic accident, it'd be appropriate for the topic title to be edited.

none of the victims were wearing life preservers. we'll never know if they would've spared any lives, but they likely would have.

to give proper respect to the lives of the two friends who also lost their lives in this tragic accident, it'd be appropriate for the topic title to be edited.

none of the victims were wearing life preservers. we'll never know if they would've spared any lives, but they likely would have.

Maybe...they may have hit the rocks as well.

Truly a tragic situation.

I got to watch a few of his starts on tv. And his Stuff was as good as Stephen Strasburg when he amazed as a rookie before TJ. Fernandez still had that, Strasburg lost it. I remember describing JF's curves as a 1to 7.not 12-6. RIP, to me I dunno if there was any brighter star getting close to take stage. Kershaw/Fernandez and Id rather watch Jose.

Numb and shocked the feelings.

Aside from his amazing talent, I, for one will miss the way he plays the game with almost irrepressible fun. I know some don't think so, but I wish baseball had more guys like him. He will be missed.

RIP

What is bolded, plus the personal stories of his leaving Cuba, etc, is what really is hitting me. It's not often that celebrity/athlete deaths affect me like this. I really enjoyed his interviews; MLBtv really loved him. I don't have the channel anymore but I'm sure there were some fond memories of JF on the show.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Aside from his amazing talent, I, for one will miss the way he plays the game with almost irrepressible fun. I know some don't think so, but I wish baseball had more guys like him. He will be missed.

RIP

What is bolded, plus the personal stories of his leaving Cuba, etc, is what really is hitting me. It's not often that celebrity/athlete deaths affect me like this. I really enjoyed his interviews; MLBtv really loved him. I don't have the channel anymore but I'm sure there were some fond memories of JF on the show.

I spent a good amount of time on Deadspin today, just going through some fun Jose Fernandez stories. Catching the Tulo liner. Watching him groundout, and his mom and grandma laugh at him. The homer where McCann and Johnson yelled at him. Other ones that I can't think of. Again, just my opinion, but I love guys Gomez and Puig and Fernandez who just act like they're enjoying the heck out of being out there on the field.....who look like they appreciate the opportunity they have to play a game and get paid for it. I know this is secondary to the pain his family and friends feel..... but as a fan of baseball, I will miss the joy a player like him brought to the field.

Well said, RoCo.

From what I remember of his interviews, he came across as a guy who didn't take himself too serious. I know that's probably easy to say from the comfort of my couch and he can basically show whichever side he wants on TV; but, the MLB network guys would harass him all the time about his hair or his excessive cycling and the kid just laughed with them and had fun with it. The Tulo liner back to him was great: "How'd you catch that?" says Tulo while JF is laughing at him and almost asking the same question of himself.

Common sense aside, both Diana and José were icons who were loved by the public. I think it's a good comparison.

Best wishes at this tremendously sad time to José's family, his teammates, and others who were affected.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/new-details-emerge-in-jose-fernandezs-deadly-boating-accident-154439898.html

Appears they were coming in from late night/early morning (3:15 am) fishing, didn't see the breakwater, and hit it at full speed. Boating at night is very difficult, and it's easy to see how this happened. Weren't drinking or doing anything wrong... just a tragic accident.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Was just about to post that. I definitely got choked up after Gordon did.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived