Brewer Fanatic

Rickey Henderson Is Back In MLB!

rickey24

Well you know if he was back in MLB playing, he'd be the story of the year (next to the Brewers of course), but instead Rickey will be the NY Mets new hitting coach effective today.

Rickey To Coach Mets

I know I'll be looking forward to seeing Rickey when the Mets take on the Brewers in late July! Welcome back Rickey!

Rickey Jr.

rickey as a hitting coach could be interesting. he definitely knew the importance of getting on base and how to get the most from an atbat.

I could see a certain shortstop taking full advantage of his tips if Rickey is willing to actually teac h somebody his craft. In the past, Rickey was a little selfish in sharing his wisdom. rickey was all about rickey.

I'd wish him luck, but we have a good chance of seeing the Mets in the NLCS. I hope he sucks it up, is picked up by an AL team or the Brewers, and then does well.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

It should be interesting to see how they respond to him. If we start to see all the Mets crouch down nearly doubled over to make the strike zone 2 inches high we'' know they're listening to him.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think the Mets were impressed with what he did with Jose Reyes, who was Rickey's special project two years ago, and we all know how he responded.

Given how the Mets clubhouse was starting to get a little tense, I think the addition of Rickey will really help loosen things up quite a bit.

Rickey

I love Rickey, but this is an act of extreme cruelty to any of the Mets players who use English as a second language.

Seriously, it's largely a veteran club, with Beltran, Delgado, LoDuca, Valentin, Green & Alou. I don't know how much he'll impact their game. You would think that they would be pretty well established in terms of what works for them.

If he can work more with Reyes, Wright & Lastings Milledge, then he'll be a good hire.

Quote:
rickey was all about rickey.
Was?! hehehe http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
Quote:
I love Rickey, but this is an act of extreme cruelty to any of the Mets players who use English as a second language.
http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/roll.gif !

great funny day on bf.net today http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Some great Rickie Henderson quotes and such:

- Rickey? on referring to himself in the third person:

?Listen, people are always saying, ?Rickey says Rickey.? But it?s been blown way out of proportion. People might catch me, when they know I?m ticked off, saying, ?Rickey, what the heck are you doing, Rickey?? They say, ?Darn, Rickey, what are you saying Rickey for? Why don?t you just say, ?I?? But I never did. I always said, ?Rickey,? and it became something for people to joke about.?

- In the early 1980s, the Oakland A?s accounting department was freaking out. The books were off $1 million. After an investigation, it was determined Rickey was the reason why. The GM asked him about a $1 million bonus he had received and Rickey said instead of cashing it, he framed it and hung it on a wall at his house.

- In 1996, Henderson?s first season with San Diego, he boarded the team bus and was looking for a seat. Steve Finley said, ?You have tenure, sit wherever you want.? Henderson looked at Finley and said, ?Ten years? Ricky?s been playing at least 16, 17 years.?

- Henderson called San Diego GM Kevin Towers and left the following message: ?This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey wants to play baseball.?

I'm a huge Rickey fan. He loves the game as much as any player I've seen in my lifetime.

Reporter: Why do you want to try and get back to playing baseball after all you've accomplished? Isn't your legacy firmly in place?

Rickey: A lot of major leaguers retire and play golf. Well, I don't play golf. I play baseball.

Rickey Henderson's teaching techniques to Jose Reyes:

Rickey: Rickey believes you should time your pitches when on the on-deck circle. Rickey did a lot of that when Rickey was playing ball, Rickey was great. You gotta believe in Rickey because Rickey knows how to hit the ball. Now Jose, what was your last name again?

Reyes: You know I do more than just get on base. I also steal bases.

Rickey: No one will ever be as good as Rickey stealing bases, Rickey was greatness. Rickey bets he can steal more bases than you even though Rickey is the hitting coach.

Rickey teaching Julio Franco:

Franco: You wan't me to do what while hitting? You know I am older than you.

Rickey: Rickey doesn't care. Rickey believes you should crowd the plate more, it makes you get on base. Rickey says you should crowd the plate more to intimidate the pitcher.

Franco: Yeah, ok. (Rolls eyes)

Quote:
How strange is it for a players entry into the hall of fame being delayed because he was off playing independant ball?

Actually he won't be delayed, the years he played with the Bears and with the Dawgs don't count against him for entry into the HOF. Provided he doesn't get into a game this year, he'll be on the ballot in 2008, five years after his last game with the Dodgers in 2003. He would be inducted in the HOF in July 2009.

Rickey

Archived