Brewer Fanatic

Crazy wild card tiebreaker scenarios

Fear The Chorizo

I've read a few stories in recent days discussing the distinct possibility that multiple teams from each league could tie for one or two wild card spots at the end of the regular season, prompting playoff scheduling carnage to try and sort out tiebreakers and play-in games just to get to the winner take all wild card game. There's currently six teams within 2 games of each other for the 2 wild card spots in the AL - I'm not sure how schedules play out, but there's a puncher's chance of a 4-way tie for two wild card spots...and possibly a hell freezing over chance of 6 teams sharing some form of a tie for 2 wild card spots.

I'm rooting for carnage - I'd love to see how MLB fumbles its way through having potential playoff teams fly all over the country for a few days playing multiple winner take all games just to earn a spot in the 1 game wild card round, only to have no fresh pitching staff available and severe jet lag leading into a 5-game divisional series. I'm hoping we have another 'Bud Selig All Star game moment', where MLB didn't derive enough plans for these possible scenarios, and a playoff spot ends up getting decided in part to a coin flip or something stupid.

I don't like how two tied playoff teams would play to determine the division winner. It should be based on head to head record.

With the one wild card format, the only time a playoff isn't used is in a tie for a division title if both teams would also be a wild card. Then it goes to some tiebreaker. I would assume it's still done that way.

Archived