Brewer Fanatic

Tim Dillard called up

bork

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers are trying to figure out a way to get Dillard onto their media team in the future - maybe even with the idea of him working radio (replacement for Uecker?).

As a major league veteran, he makes a decent salary even in the minors (I think around $80,000 is the minimum for someone like him). But I wouldn't be surprised if the Crew have paid him well so they can keep him in the fold. Plus he can take on some innings in Colorado Springs (I don't think it's a surprise that more than 3/4 of his work came in Colorado Springs). He's just is there to eat up some of those tough innings. The real prospects then get work on the road.

This is great, although I was really hoping he'd suit up.

Why? His future is in broadcasting and not pitching. That was well known for 3-4 years...

Tanking. Duh.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's actually genius on Dillard's part help the team tank right as Uecker is winding down, so the new prospects round into the best team in history right as he prepares to take over and call the winning Game 7 World Series homer guaranteeing a lifetime of employment as broadcaster. ;)

This is great, although I was really hoping he'd suit up.

Why? His future is in broadcasting and not pitching. That was well known for 3-4 years...

Because. It could quite possibly be his last time getting a chance to do so. He's been a presence and a personality with the organization since he was 19. So that's why the Dillard fan in me was hoping he'd get one more time to pitch in the majors. Not because I thought the couple late september innings were going to groom him for something meaningful in the future.

He's good at making comedy tweets and silly 25 second videos but does he have actual experience calling a game or doing reporting?

he was on a spring training webcast this year. he did just okay, but you could notice his improvement once he got into a groove.

Still a prospect...

Ceiling= Bob Uecker

Floor= Bob Brainerd

It's not fair to give any prospect a Bob Uecker comp; the man's a Hall of Famer.

With his pop culture repertoire, Dillard could still go on to have a Vasgersian-level 2nd career, which is still a pretty high-ceiling projection.

There was an interview last week that I heard on my way home from work with Dillard finding a team this year. He had said that he had business cards made up with his name and phone number and would hand them out to teams at the winter meetings. Dillard was asked if he had to brush up on who the teams reps were. He said he knew a few of them but pretty much gave anyone that had a team insignia polo shirt a business card. He tried really hard to get with Yost and the Royals. He belieVes the brewers called him because of the familiarity with him.

He's good at making comedy tweets and silly 25 second videos but does he have actual experience calling a game or doing reporting?

Does it matter? Half the people doing those jobs are just retired professional players.

And most are terrible at it.

Exactly my point.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers are trying to figure out a way to get Dillard onto their media team in the future - maybe even with the idea of him working radio (replacement for Uecker?).

Frankly, at this point I'm quite comfortable with Jeff Levering becoming the main radio guy whenever that becomes necessary. I've steadily warmed up to the Levering/Lane Grindle pairing on Ueckerless road trips. If Lane doesn't become a long-term part of the radio team, I'd be very open to a Levering/Dillard pairing in the booth.

However, even if Tim's future does not lie specifically in radio, he surely has a good thing going in social media, and I for one am looking forward to trying to spot him this homestand, starting tonight.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

And most are terrible at it.

Exactly my point.

Yep, Davey Nelson still has a job and he's the worst speaker (aside from Rickie Weeks) I've heard that has a regular gig in front of a camera.

Shannon Sharpe says Hello... At least I think that is what he said, I can never understand that guy...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Frankly, at this point I'm quite comfortable with Jeff Levering becoming the main radio guy whenever that becomes necessary. I've steadily warmed up to the Levering/Lane Grindle pairing on Ueckerless road trips. If Lane doesn't become a long-term part of the radio team, I'd be very open to a Levering/Dillard pairing in the booth.

However, even if Tim's future does not lie specifically in radio, he surely has a good thing going in social media, and I for one am looking forward to trying to spot him this homestand, starting tonight.

How long do you think Rock will be in the TV booth, he could fill in that role.

I do like the Levering / Grindle team moving forward, neither has Milwaukee roots though (more so Levering), history says that we will be looking for a replacement within the next 5 years for both.

I wonder if the Brewers did this because they don't plan on offering him a contract? Kind of a, "Hey if you can't latch on else where to pitch you can do this with us." Seeing we were the only interested team last off season I can't imagine things will be any different now.

I picked up an authentic Dillard BP jersey at the Brewers Sausage 5k this summer - I'm looking forward to the strange looks I'll likely get when I break it out at the park this weekend.

If you use Twitter, ask him if he'll sign it. He signed mine Friday night; I'd tweeted him to ask soon after his homestand appearance was announced. Genuinely nice guy. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If you decide to ask, you can drop my name/handle if you want. (hemming_hawing)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived