Brewer Fanatic

Rare footage - 1993 Brewers / A's brawl, started by La Russa and Garner

NYChez

Robin's career at short ended in 1984. I'd surmise that the possibility of playing 2B and 3B went out the window at that point too. He did play 1B for 40 innings in 1993, so it's not like having him there flew in from nowhere.

In Jaha's case, however, it was the only time in his career that he played 2B. John played out of position three times in his career: 1 game at 1B, 1 game at 3B, and 1 game in LF. The rest of his time was spent as a first baseman or designated hitter.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Robin's career at short ended in 1984. I'd surmise that the possibility of playing 2B and 3B went out the window at that point too. He did play 1B for 40 innings in 1993, so it's not like having him there flew in from nowhere.

In Jaha's case, however, it was the only time in his career that he played 2B. John played out of position three times in his career: 1 game at 1B, 1 game at 3B, and 1 game in LF. The rest of his time was spent as a first baseman or designated hitter.

I was just surprised it was Jaha at 2B. You can't tell me a roided up rock like him was any better than even 50% of Yount.

I agree that 50% of Yount might have been better, but I think the risk of injury to him was the concern. If it hadn't been, we'd have likely seen Robin sneaking in a few innings at one of those positions at some point over the last nine years of his career.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

i was at that doubleheader with my brother. so many great memories from those two games:

--robin yount hit a based loaded triple in game one. it was the last yount hit i'd ever witness, and it was a great way to cap off my memory of him.

--kevin reimer got six hits in game two.

--darryl hamilton nearly hit for the cycle in game one. all he needed was a double, and he was about halfway to first before he slammed on the brakes and scampered back to first base. to this day, i still don't know why he didn't try for two.

--dickie thon was ejected, which led to john jaha moving to second base, robin yount to first base, and game 1 starting pitcher ricky bones to right field.

--i seem to recall jaha moving back and forth between the second base position and third base position batter by batter (or perhaps pitch by pitch). when he next came to bat, bob betts announced him as, "now batting, infielder, john jaha".

--reliever matt maysey was forced to bat in the extra innings. he got a base hit, which set up the stage for dave nilsson's game-winning rbi.

--my mom had gone to bed, woke up later, and was worried that my brother and i hadn't come home yet. she called wtmj to ask about the game and the staffer told her that the game had just ended.

--i am pretty certain that the next day, someone sent a bouquet arrangement of suckers to the visitors' clubhouse to the attention of edwin nunez.

1993 was one of the worst years as a fan. Both of these teams were 90 win teams the previous year and totally collapsed the next year with both having win totals in the 60's. Both teams were probably filled with frustrated players and managers.

I remember listening to that fight on the radio. Uecker was classic--describing things in crystal clear detail, it's like I was watching it on tv.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived