Brewer Fanatic

Brian McCann

Ok, yes he has a ridiculous contract and is owed $34 million over 2 years with a vesting option for 2019 and he'll be 33 next year and his numbers have slipped some. But from a purely baseball perspective, out of all the guys who might be available in deals, McCann is a perfect fit on this roster. He's a LH bat with pop, something the Brewers are in short supply of, Villar, Gennett and Nieuwenhuis notwithstanding. He's a catcher that can also play 1B. Not only do the Brewers have a need at catcher, adding a big LH bat at that position allows them to go with the all RH outfield and that's what they have until we see Ray, Clark and Phillps etc. It also might enable them to deal Gennett, opening up 2B for Perez or Villar depending on where you want to play those two.

Now what about the rebuild? The main effects of the inflow of young talent probably won't be felt until 2020, but there's going to be enough from the current roster and first wave (Arcia, Brinson, Hader) to be very competitive as soon as 2018 especially since the Cubs will be losing a big chunk of their starting pitching after next year.

What will it take to get McCann? The more of his contract you take, the less it will take, and the Brewers have the payroll room. If you make Garza part of the deal, it would ease the financial burden too. Another issue in all probability is that he's likely got Brewers on his no-trade list. Whether that could be overcome is a big question.

McCann has a dedication to the unwritten rules that would make most of the Cardinals blush. I'd pass on him for any number of reasons, but mostly because I straight up don't like his condescending attitude towards the game. Skip Schumaker probably replaced his Braun jersey with a McCann jersey.

The Brewers would be better served seeing if they have anything in Susac and possibly Pina.

I just don't see why we would pay McCann the money he is owed for what he brings to the table. You can get similar production for a lot less money. A lot less. Plus he's going on 33 years old and his stats have already ticked downhill. Hard pass for those reasons plus he seems like a douche.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

On the list of things to do during a rebuild, I don't think paying tons of money and giving up a young prospect or two in order to acquire an aging veteran whose contract doesn't even extend to when we'd want to compete is on there.

Ditto what others have said, he seems like a huge [expletive deleted by moderator].

Would much rather see Pina/Susac get a shot.

Totally pointless move. He's barely a catcher anymore and not much of a hitter for 1B. Not to mention he'll offer nothing to the team when they are competitive in a couple years. I suppose if the Yankees wants to just dump his contract I'll take Frazier off their hands as well for the privilege of paying Mr. Cranky Pants to police the game. Otherwise, no.

Could have told you who started this thread without even seeing it lol.

McCann is old, a jackass, and not very good. There is less than no reason to bring him on board. I suspect we will release Maldy and see what we have in Pina and Susac next year.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Definition of polar opposite of moves they should make. And you continue to trot out this "must have LH power bat" mantra even after that theory was decimated in another thread.

I wish I could say you're just trying to be provocative like an AM shock jock. But I think you really believe trading prospects for an aging catcher is a sensible way to rebuild.

Definition of polar opposite of moves they should make. And you continue to trot out this "must have LH power bat" mantra even after that theory was decimated in another thread.

I wish I could say you're just trying to be provocative like an AM shock jock. But I think you really believe trading prospects for an aging catcher is a sensible way to rebuild.

"Every year is special."

-JohnBriggs12

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

To be fair to JB, he didn't define what it would take to get him either. I have no idea the market for him, but at his age and salary, a bag of balls might be enough.

Though, I also think its best to stick with Pina and Susac. And I think DS and company have tipped their hand that way already unless something very appealing comes along.

To be fair to JB, he didn't define what it would take to get him either. I have no idea the market for him, but at his age and salary, a bag of balls might be enough.

Does it really matter what it would take? It makes almost no sense. We would have to pay him a boatload of cash or give up prospects for a guy we would have two years while we are not competing. Unless he lights it up and we can flip him(which isn't JBs intention) it would be a giant waste of resources for no gain. Unless we got him for a bag of balls and paid virtually none of the contract I don't see any reason to even consider it. Honestly it may be a bad move if we got him completely free.

Either Susac or Pina could potentially outproduce McCann next year for what amounts to league minimum. McCann is 33 and trending down. If McCann puts up a .725 OPS, it would be right around what I would expect. It would be also right around the expected numbers for either Susac or Pina. To pay 17 million (AND pay prospects to acquire) McCann makes absolutely zero sense. Zero.

If you read my post above, pretty clear I don't see any sense in this whatsoever. At the same time, I know where JB is coming from. He wants to try to win every year, and when that is the goal it makes sense to consider an old catcher or maybe a Suppan type SP or throw money at a BP arm or two. Because you can do all those things and maybe win 2-3 more games, end up at 78 wins instead of 75.

So I understand it, I just don't agree with it. Like, at all.

Does it really matter what it would take? It makes almost no sense. We would have to pay him a boatload of cash or give up prospects for a guy we would have two years while we are not competing. Unless he lights it up and we can flip him(which isn't JBs intention) it would be a giant waste of resources for no gain. Unless we got him for a bag of balls and paid virtually none of the contract I don't see any reason to even consider it. Honestly it may be a bad move if we got him completely free.

Would you take him if they threw in a high prospect (i.e. threw in someone so we would take the contract) for one of our low level prospects (Carlos Leal) or someone we don't want going forward (Martin Maldonado or Kirk Niehenhusaoudan)?

I'm not defending the idea, simply stating that JB didn't say we needed to give them anyone of consequence to get him.

Would you take him if they threw in a high prospect for one of our low level prospects (Carlos Leal)

Would I take a Braves top prospect and McCann for Carlos Leal? Yes. But there's no way that would ever be offered.

This is true since McCann plays for the Yankees.

Duh, forgot he was a Yankee now. But yea, I would still take a top prospect from the Braves ; )

4 of the past 5yrs McCann has essentially been 235/310/740 with 21HR, 65rbi (HR/RBI total last year was a fluke). And you want us to trade for him and pay him 17M/yr for that production behind the plate? Minus the HR total I'm pretty sure Susac and Pina, individually, would exceed those numbers for a very cheap amount. Not to mention Susac was a Top 100 in 2015 and will be 27 next year. He needs to be given the opportunity to earn that starting job next year plus we have around 5yrs of control too. We are paying Carter peanuts to hit 35-40HR at 1b with a higher OBP, OPS. So we're supposed to have McCann mix in there because he's a lefty? Labeling a 33yr old (next year) McCann as the "perfect fit" for this team blows my mind regardless if you want to win now/every season.

And, no, it won't be until 2020 where the effects of the young kids will be felt. By 2020 Santana, Broxton, Brinson, Phillips, Cordell, Arcia, Susac, Hader, Ortiz, Davies, Woodruff, Lopez, Barnes, Magnifico all will have had 2-4yrs of MLB experience. The effects will start to be felt in 2018. By the end of 2019 we'll also see Bickford, Ray, Nottingham, Diaz. If Kirby, T.Williams, Kodi are sent to the pen they'll be up around that time too.

I've never been a huge fan of pure tanking because I think it is all about collecting talent, and if you are truly tanking you are actively avoiding adding talent to one portion of your system (then again, I'm not sure too many examples of pure tanking have actually existed in the MLB, despite what the ESPN guys would have you believe). That being said, when you're rebuilding the decision-making calculus has to change, and a big way that it can is that you can risk being awful at a position in order to seek a long-term solution rather than seeking safety at a spot by way of settling for mediocrity. That's why I liked Stearns' island of misfit prospects approach to building a portion of the team's roster this season. He was willing to risk being bad in certain spots in order to give high-ceiling, low-floor guys a chance to succeed, and the team ended up perhaps winning a few more games because of it than if he had signed fringy veteran free agents to fill those spots. Sure some didn't turn out (Flores, Walsh), and a few never had a chance because of injury (Liriano, Nolin), but they hit on enough to call it a success.

Basically, to my mind, McCann only makes sense if three things are true: 1) The Brewers don't have a problem with McCann's personality. 2) The team doesn't think either Pina or Susac can become a solid starting catcher. 3) The Yankees pay most of the salary without asking for much a prospect in return. If those things are true, I don't see how it would be any different than the Carter signing (yes, he's younger, but few really seem to consider him a big part of the team moving forward). I just highly doubt all three of those things are true. In fact I'd guess at least two of them aren't.

2) The team doesn't think either Pina or Susac can become a solid starting catcher.

This is where I have a problem with your post.

Susac and Pina are both Stearns acquisitions, which means DS or someone in the FO that he trusts likes them. Neither has been given enough playing time yet to say anything for sure, but they're both cheap, controllable, and already capable of performing at a comparable level to McCann, who we'd have to pay more for less control and also give up something.

There's just no logic to giving up on two guys who are nothing but upside. Also, in limited starts, Pina has actually been doing pretty well after a year of mashing at AAA.

At this point we have two guys who are Major League ready, performing at an average level with the (outside) possibility of more, and we need to give them the playing time next year to figure out what kind of talent they really have.

Acquiring McCann makes absolutely no sense from any perspective other than an Aaron Hill-like salary dump that would also net us a top prospect as long as we take McCann's contract, and then hope that we can somehow rehabilitate him and dump him at the trade deadline. It was a miracle we pulled that off with Aaron Hill, but at least we got Isan Diaz and Chase Anderson in that trade, and we honestly didn't take on that much of Hill's contract when you factor in how much Segura would've got.

That trade came together from our desire to get rid of Segura, we gave up something of value. If the Yankees want to give us a great prospect and McCann (minus most of his salary) for Scooter Gennett or Carlos Torres then I'll listen, but I don't see that happening.

This is where I have a problem with your post.

Susac and Pina are both Stearns acquisitions, which means DS or someone in the FO that he trusts likes them. Neither has been given enough playing time yet to say anything for sure, but they're both cheap, controllable, and already capable of performing at a comparable level to McCann, who we'd have to pay more for less control and also give up something.

I actually agree with you (notice I said two of the conditions were likely false). I was basically saying that I have no problem with a team bringing in a veteran during a rebuild if it doesn't cost much and the alternative is tossing out a low-upside AAAA guy. My guess is McCann will probably get dealt to a contender or a team that thinks it needs a veteran catcher for a young pitching staff for a nominal prospect but with the Yankees only having to pick up 1/3 or so of the contract.

Archived