Brewer Fanatic

Some guys for minor league deals in 2017 with NRI

LouisEly

Dodgers released a couple of guys in the last month that I think are worth a look in 2017.

Matt West was a 2nd round pick of TEX in 2007 as an infielder and converted to pitcher in 2011. Career 9.1 K/9 in the minors, his K's took a dip this year (7.4) but in 46 innings gave up 35 hits, 8 BB (0.928 WHIP), and only 1 HR with a 2.33 ERA, all pretty impressive for the PCL. 2015 was 9.3 K/9, 2.9 BB/9, 1.238 WHIP, 3 HR, 3.54 ERA in 54 innings. In his limited major league trials it looks like he threw his FB around 94, change around 85, and curve around 75.

He's 27, will be 28 in 2017, but I think worth a flier on a minor league deal with NRI. I'd be inclined to release Boyer now and claim West, give him a 2.5 week trial, and try to convince him to come back next year.

Zach Walters was released back in mid-August. Yes, that Zach Walters, who was traded for Asdrubal Cabrera in 2014 and posted a .980 OPS that year in AAA. His K/BB ratio has improved dramatically since 2013 (it needed to), but has had a couple of "meh" seasons in AAA the last two years. Maybe he wasn't that good, maybe he was demotivated after only getting 180 PAs in the majors in his career and needs a change of scenery.

Zach is only 26, will be 27 next year, and is a switch hitter with some positional flexibility - he played every position except catcher for Oklahoma City this year. Maybe switch hitting isn't the right thing for him - he was much stronger from the left side, posting a .842 OPS as a LHB vs. RHP, and was stronger as a LHB vs RHP in 2015. Brewers could use another lefty bat in the lineup, especially with those numbers against RHP.

Could be a good 25th man to have, and if the Brewers move Braun and lose Wren/Reed in the Rule 5 draft there will be spots open in the OF.

• 1 month later...

Zach Walters I think makes sense and it would be great if he performed fairly well at 3b, which appears not to be the case. But if he's platooning with Perez maybe that works much better since he has pop and plenty of experience at the upper levels with some MLB stints. This is where trading Scooter for lottery tickets (ie Freddy Peralta) comes into play as Arcia/Villar up middle with Perez floating around so need another IF - a switch hitter with pop and versatility in the field aligns with Stearns. Past 3yrs he's outperformed Cecchini offensively.

I don't think Matt West makes sense.

Archived