Brewer Fanatic

Stearns's First Season: 2016 MLB Transactions Review

TooLiveBrew
Whine about people supposably viewing a player due to one tool and you proceed to use his arm as a reason why he is a horrible defensive liability. Outside of his arm he does well in the field. Though I always remember him making a head scratching error on occasion.

Saying his defense is a "liability" due to his arm is like saying someone is a liability due to making too many errors. Just like offense one tool doesn't make or break you.

Once again he isn't a good fielder, but making him out to be a DH attempting to play the field is just plain wrong.

WOW. Davis does "well" in the field yet you criticize Braun as a fielder. I'm literally speechless. I also didn't realize making factual points is "whining". Good to know moving forward. And your analogy isn't even remotely logical. Someone who commits a lot of errors can improve upon that in a variety of ways - they might have the athleticism and soft hands to be good but struggle at the moment for whatever reason(s) but the potential to be good is there. Whereas Davis' arm is what it is. There is no room for improvement and the older he gets the worse his arm will get.

Apparently you can't comprehend that people think Davis is a "good player" solely based on his power (ignoring defense) while I called him a defensive liability solely due to his arm. You don't seem to understand that as a fielder you track/field the ball and throw the ball. When you're average (at best) at one of those and the worst in MLB at the other I'd say that's a recipe for being a huge liability. I didn't say he was a "bad player" because of his arm - I said defensive liability. Players constantly took the extra base on Davis for years and the final weeks last year they started to go from 1st to 3rd at will on singles that were hit directly at him. Is it easier to score from 2b vs 1b? What about 3b vs 2b? If you don't think Davis is a massive liability on the defensive end then you're delusional. The arm is one of the 5 tools for a reason.

Additionally, everything I've said for forever about him relates to his entire skill set. Hitting tool - 93% of his ABs he's completely and utterly worthless (statistics prove this) and the other 7% is him hitting a HR. Defense - decent first step and takes solid routes which allows him to be average at tracking/fielding the ball. Arm - worst in MLB for OF. Speed - average at best. How exactly does this make up a "good player", or in your words, someone who is "very underrated"? He's a DH and not a fit whatsoever for the NL. His slash line is also lower when he's in the field running around exerting energy as opposed to being a DH. These are ALL reasons why he was traded prior to this season combined with Santana needing a spot.

Did you know that whatever Fangraphs says is the Bible? Probably did

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whine about people supposably viewing a player due to one tool and you proceed to use his arm as a reason why he is a horrible defensive liability. Outside of his arm he does well in the field. Though I always remember him making a head scratching error on occasion.

Saying his defense is a "liability" due to his arm is like saying someone is a liability due to making too many errors. Just like offense one tool doesn't make or break you.

Once again he isn't a good fielder, but making him out to be a DH attempting to play the field is just plain wrong.

WOW. Davis does "well" in the field yet you criticize Braun as a fielder.

And your analogy isn't even remotely logical. Someone who commits a lot of errors can improve upon that in a variety of ways - they might have the athleticism and soft hands to be good but struggle at the moment for whatever reason(s) but the potential to be good is there.

"huge liability" "I said defensive liability." "massive liability"

Hitting tool - 93% of his ABs he's completely and utterly worthless (statistics prove this)

His slash line is also lower when he's in the field running around exerting energy as opposed to being a DH.

Did you know that whatever Fangraphs says is the Bible? Probably did

Actually never did. I did say Davis does well outside of his throwing arm which is indeed true. I like to believe Braun is average in LF(not RF) while defensive statistics rate him below average. So if anything I actually would compliment Braun.

Errors bad...weak arm bad. Orlando Arcia is making 20+ errors a year...does that mean he is bad on defense. I think most would agree 20+ errors is pretty bad. That is the point. One aspect of defense does not suddenly make you a massive liability. I don't know why you are talking about improvement. The fact you can improve in the future doesn't mean you have good defense.

Which one is it? There is a pretty big difference between just being a liability(below average), huge liability, and massive liability(David Ortiz playing first bad).

Where did you find those stats? Totally worthless outside of home runs...gotcha ;)

Is it though? He plays the outfield and the most work he does is probably trotting out to his spot. He is only 28 years old is he really that effected playing the field?

That is funny. At least I am bringing something to back my argument while you bring imaginary stats that say he is worthless if he doesn't hit a home run which we both know isn't true. It would be nice if you could back up any of your claims. Feel free to though I am always open to listening.

Leaving aside the fact that clutch hitting seems to not even be a thing, solo home runs alone determines nothing. Without guys on base you're probably free to swing for the fences a bit more, whereas you can score runs in many more ways than a home run with guys on base. Also, you could never hit a home run with guys on base and still get way more RBIs than if you hit all your homers with guys on base.

Fangraphs has a clutch statistic. Davis is -0.09 this year, which is slightly below average (0 would be average obviously).

He has varied in that stat over the years. When people started taking notice of him in 2013, he actually had his career-worst clutch rating of -0.75 (between "below average" and "poor"). The next year he was 0.33, then last year he was -0.26.

However, by comparison, Carter's rating this year is -1.35, which ranks between "Poor" and "Awful". He wasn't any better in 2015, but in 2014 he was 1.21, which ranks between "Great" and "Excellent".

So, small sample size of two players over a couple years, but the inconsistency in their stats does seem to suggest that "clutch hitting" is not nearly as much of a thing as people act like it is.

There's also this: http://research.sabr.org/journals/the-statistical-mirage-of-clutch-hitting

The smiley face on my post meant I was kidding around.

Ahhh. Gotcha :)

• 1 month later...

Slightly off topic, but this is why I don't want the Brewers to have the Khris Davis, Chris Carter types. I want a team to win a World Series. These guys I mentioned make a living hitting HR's off of mediocre pitching, and receive high accolades because of it.

What happens when you get to the playoffs? The World Series? These guys look like fools against playoff teams. Playoff teams are made of position players who are professional HITTERS. Not sluggers. Look at the Orioles as a prime example.

After Chris Carter is gone, I don't ever want to see this type of hitter in a Brewers uniform again. I have had it of the Jeromy Burnitz's, Corey Hart's, Ritchie Sexons, Rob Deers, Greg Vaughns, John Jahas, Rickie Weeks.

Give me a position lineup of the Dave Nilssons, Kevin Seitzers, Fernando Vina's, B.J. Surhoffs, Jeff Cirillos, Jonathen Villars, Nori Aoki's, Darryl Hamiltons, Mark Lorettas, Don Moneys, Ben Oglives Sixto Lezcanos.

Boy, you sure are missing out on some good players if you don't want the Corey Hart's in your lineup.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Slightly off topic, but this is why I don't want the Brewers to have the Khris Davis, Chris Carter types. I want a team to win a World Series. These guys I mentioned make a living hitting HR's off of mediocre pitching, and receive high accolades because of it.

What happens when you get to the playoffs? The World Series? These guys look like fools against playoff teams. Playoff teams are made of position players who are professional HITTERS. Not sluggers. Look at the Orioles as a prime example.

After Chris Carter is gone, I don't ever want to see this type of hitter in a Brewers uniform again. I have had it of the Jeromy Burnitz's, Corey Hart's, Ritchie Sexons, Rob Deers, Greg Vaughns, John Jahas, Rickie Weeks.

Give me a position lineup of the Dave Nilssons, Kevin Seitzers, Fernando Vina's, B.J. Surhoffs, Jeff Cirillos, Jonathen Villars, Nori Aoki's, Darryl Hamiltons, Mark Lorettas, Don Moneys, Ben Oglives Sixto Lezcanos.

Is there really any evidence that this holds true, though? I'm not saying you're wrong, but it seems to me the Cubs have a lineup full of pretty good, professional hitters - they had the second highest OBP in baseball.

Basically what I'm wondering is if there is any real statistical evidence that players along the same lines of Khris Davis and Chris Carter will struggle against elite pitching to more of an extent than any other typical hitter? If anything, I would think that against elite pitching, you might be better off with a guy that will make contact on 1 out of 10 pitches, but hit that one a long way, than you would trying to string together something with a bunch of small ball players.

What a weird group of players. I assume "that type of hitter" means low OBP and high strike out hitters but Jaha had a .365 OBP and struck out 20% of the time with the Brewers. Same with Vaughn except he wasn't a high OBP guy, mainly due to his lower batting average. Sexson didn't strike out a lot either for a guy his size and was a pretty awesome hitter with the Brewers.

Fernando Vina was a terrible hitter. I have no idea why anyone would willingly want him in their lineup. Just fill your roster with the best hitters and pitchers you possibly can and then hope you get lucky.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You are stretching a little with Benji. He was a streaky strike out or home run hitter.

Personally if I'm building a team, I'm finding 3 CFers who get on base a ton, can hit well, and power upside would be nice. Broxton, Brinson, Phillips if he clicks again is what I'm thinking. Defense has to to be key. You have 3 Plus defensive CFs, that makes OF pretty small for an offense. Same goes with infield. 3 SS type guys filling 2b, SS, 3B is very important. You have an Arcia SS, Villar/Diaz 2B, and guys like Erceg, Lara, or a JJ Hardy type who have SS defensive ability but pop potential from corner.

Id love Brewers to finally drop the power for a defensive mindset. In our park, guys will hit HRs. What I want is great defense, guys getting on base & are athletes to run, and pitching that is solid. Santana being able to play first would be the dream but don't think that will happen. He is enough of an athlete though to play OF but he is far from a plus defender out there.

Some may disagree but high HRs, high Ks, and poor defense isn't the way we win a championship I don't think. Play outstanding defense, get on base, put ball in play, and pitch well.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Personally if I'm building a team, I'm finding 3 CFers who get on base a ton, can hit well, and power upside would be nice. Broxton, Brinson, Phillips if he clicks again is what I'm thinking. Defense has to to be key. You have 3 Plus defensive CFs, that makes OF pretty small for an offense. Same goes with infield. 3 SS type guys filling 2b, SS, 3B is very important. You have an Arcia SS, Villar/Diaz 2B, and guys like Erceg, Lara, or a JJ Hardy type who have SS defensive ability but pop potential from corner.

Id love Brewers to finally drop the power for a defensive mindset. In our park, guys will hit HRs. What I want is great defense, guys getting on base & are athletes to run, and pitching that is solid. Santana being able to play first would be the dream but don't think that will happen. He is enough of an athlete though to play OF but he is far from a plus defender out there.

Some may disagree but high HRs, high Ks, and poor defense isn't the way we win a championship I don't think. Play outstanding defense, get on base, put ball in play, and pitch well.

I've said it too many times on here how people ignore the defensive side of the ball far too often. Great defensive teams don't require a great rotation/pen. They shrink the field and allow their pitchers to attack hitters so they can go to work. It's why Stearns has targeted CFs and SSs - they cover the most ground, are athletic and have strong arms. They have a skill set that allows for versatility. Even guys like Shaw, while he has areas he needs to improve and wasn't a "sexy" acquisition, he'll hit for a decent BA/OBP with 20HR+ and play very good defense at a position that was needed. Dubon doesn't hit for power but he does everything else well. Brinson, Cordell, Ray, Diaz (2b), Erceg all play above average or better defensively with power and speed. As does Phillips. He targets specific profiles that lend to versatility allowing for better, more skilled athletes to be on the field at the same time

I've said it too many times on here how people ignore the defensive side of the ball far too often. Great defensive teams don't require a great rotation/pen. They shrink the field and allow their pitchers to attack hitters so they can go to work. It's why Stearns has targeted CFs and SSs - they cover the most ground, are athletic and have strong arms. They have a skill set that allows for versatility. Even guys like Shaw, while he has areas he needs to improve and wasn't a "sexy" acquisition, he'll hit for a decent BA/OBP with 20HR+ and play very good defense at a position that was needed. Dubon doesn't hit for power but he does everything else well. Brinson, Cordell, Ray, Diaz (2b), Erceg all play above average or better defensively with power and speed. As does Phillips. He targets specific profiles that lend to versatility allowing for better, more skilled athletes to be on the field at the same time

I've been guilty of undervaluing defense myself in the past, but you may be on to something here. Best rated defensive team in MLB in 2016? Cubs. 2015? Royals. In fact the Royals have been making a living off great defense for awhile. It's not an exact science, there are good defense teams that are bad teams overall and vice versa, but in general there's a strong correlation between defense and winning.

I agree Stearns' acquisitions seem to fit a pattern and he's doing this all the right way. I think the move to 2nd for Villar this year is in part with D in mind.

Defense is important but you have to balance it with players that can actually hit. Remember the Mariners attempt to win with a great defensive team 6 or 7 years ago? They were terrible. I feel defense is one of those things that was so undervalued league wide for such a long time that it has flipped and become overrated. Having said that it's nice to see the organization actually give a crap about defense instead of just getting a bunch of DH's and sticking them at the position they suck least at.

I love great defense. Every player and position is a balance. You want great defenders who hit well, so does every team and fan.

I think the Cubs "best " defense was a result of their pitching. Zobrist has fall down range. Fowler is mediocre at best. Bryant and Zobrist in the OF are decent. Bryant played well at 3rd but nowhere near the best. I think I saw double digit plays by Rizzo where he misplayed a ball or didn't come off the base to corral a throw. If a Brewer had done that, there'd be torches and pitchforks. Russell won't make most throws deep in the hole, doesn't have great range to his left and makes a lot of inaccurate throws.

Javy Baez is great, perhaps a future star or maybe just a premium utility guy. Heyward is great. Nothing can touch the Chicago hype machine though.

Formerly AKA Pete

Broxton, Brinson, Phillips, Ray, Villar, Diaz, Erceg. What do they all have in common other than potentially above avg defense? Speed. (In Erceg's case speed for the position.)

So yea, I agree defense is very important and I would love having 3 CFs in the OF. Speed is a big part of that, but it also shows up on the bases as well. Yet another under-rated part of MLB over the last decade+. Not just SBs, but getting 1st to 3rd, 2nd to home, avoiding DPs, etc. A big part of how KC made it to two WS and won one.

Speed on the defensive side of the ball will translate to the bases for sure. But it takes more than speed to be a good base runner. It takes intelligence and instincts - those being more important than speed itself but when you combine those with speed you can create an absurd amount of scoring opportunities for your team.

We all know, or should know, that you can't solely focus on defense while ignoring a player's offensive tools given whoever scores the most runs wins. BUT, it starts with defense. Stearns hasn't acquired one player that can't play at least average on the defensive side.

He's building a foundation with prospects that have average to plus potential for all 5 tools (for the most part as a player here or there might be below average in one tool) and mixing in lefties with righties. Ray, Diaz, Erceg, Clark to go along with Phillips (Melvin). At the MLB level he brought on Villar (switch hitter), Shaw (no speed), Thames (speed for a 1b). Then factor in the righties with Broxton, Brinson, Cordell, Dubon (no power) to go along with Santana (Melvin).

The only position he seems to have defense take a backseat is catching as Susac, Pina, Nottingham all have better hit tools than defense but their defense projects to be average. Bandy is the opposite but has raw power potential. Personally, I'm on board with this for catchers as I don't want a Maldy type as the starter.

But it takes more than speed to be a good base runner. It takes intelligence and instincts - those being more important than speed itself but when you combine those with speed you can create an absurd amount of scoring opportunities for your team.

Ed Sedar just called, he said he has no idea what you're talking about.

I love great defense. Every player and position is a balance. You want great defenders who hit well, so does every team and fan.

I think the Cubs "best " defense was a result of their pitching. Zobrist has fall down range. Fowler is mediocre at best. Bryant and Zobrist in the OF are decent. Bryant played well at 3rd but nowhere near the best. I think I saw double digit plays by Rizzo where he misplayed a ball or didn't come off the base to corral a throw. If a Brewer had done that, there'd be torches and pitchforks. Russell won't make most throws deep in the hole, doesn't have great range to his left and makes a lot of inaccurate throws.

Javy Baez is great, perhaps a future star or maybe just a premium utility guy. Heyward is great. Nothing can touch the Chicago hype machine though.

Rizzo won a Gold Glove this year. Bryant and Zobrist are plenty fine and versatile. Russell is very good. Heyward is great. Fowler being mediocre at best is not even close to accurate (you probably think Braun sucks on defense). Baez is very good. As a team they're strong on that side of the ball. Sure they're going to make mistakes, largely due to their age (half of them are crazy young still), but speaking as though they're overrated and the pitching is why they excel is absurd. Pitchers pitch to the hitters weakness AND to the strength of their defense.

Archived