Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Thursday 9/8 - Rattlers Do-or-Die; Helena Finale

Mass Haas

Thursday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Wisconsin: RHP Marcos Diplan at Cedar Rapids (Twins), 6:15 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime; Game Two of a Best-Of-Three League Quarterfinal Series; win or go home for the Timber Rattlers

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

Helena: RHP Gentry Fortuno at home vs. Billings (Reds) in the season finale, 7:45 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Kernels Beat Rattlers to End Wisconsin's Season

Cedar Rapids sweeps first round series with 3-1 victory

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Wisconsin Boxscore

Unfortunately tonight's LR brings the season to a close. If you've been following along all season you already know the many positive stories to come from the Rattlers in 2016, and you have my sincere thanks for reading along on a daily basis.

As for this game, Marcos Diplan left the ball up the 2nd time through the order and got smacked around in the 3rd which was ultimately the difference in the game. Scott Grist and Nate Griep came on in relief and finished the season in fine fashion.

With so many slumping hitters at the same time the T-Rats struggled once again to scratch runs across, though many outs on the bases didn't help the cause tonight. Corey Ray (2-4) singled twice and had a real nice diving catch in CF but also made his own contribution to the base running gaffes in the game. Luis Aviles (2-3) added the other multi effort for the Rattlers and finished on the upswing after slumping most of the 2nd half.

I'd also like to pass along my sincere gratitude to Chris Mehring for his continued excellence, I once again stood on his shoulders all season and was able to pass along his many insights to the readers here.

Finally, a special thanks to Maas Haas who started the Link Report, provides all of the crucial links on a daily basis, and is essentially the best clearing house for Brewer prospect information there is.

Wisconsin Log

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

1st time poster, but long time stalker of this forum. I want to thank everyone involved with the link report, there are many, many followers who appreciate your efforts. Maas/Jim - A special thank you for keeping this train rolling

1st time poster, but long time stalker of this forum. I want to thank everyone involved with the link report, there are many, many followers who appreciate your efforts. Maas/Jim - A special thank you for keeping this train rolling

Absolutely. This is the best part of the site

Final: Billings 7, Helena 1

And Link Report season ends with a whimper, unfortunately...

As has been the case for 95% of the season, no quotes, no audio interviews, but another set of photos from the I-R to savor out of Kindrick Legion Field, consistently the best galleries of well-captioned photos we've seen from any outpost over the years.

Helena Box Score

Ronnie Gideon hits his 17th HR on the final night to take the Pioneer League HR title outright with 17, sweet!

Helena Game Log

Adding on to prior thank you's, to reillymcshane for stepping up for Sky Sox coverage, and to TheCrew07 (Seth) for double-duty with Biloxi and Wisconsin, where do I begin? Behind the scenes I beg these guys to let me know about taking the occasional days off and yet they just plug away. I truly hope we add to our "linkers" next year and lighten the load for everyone.

Like most years, as the summer rolls on, yours truly finds himself running on fumes by August 1st, and admittedly real life distractions had me hitting the veteran wall by mid-July this season, but thanks to all for your patience and faithfulness.

The Brewers blogosphere community has exploded in recent years, and kudos to all the other sites who provide such awesome daily coverage. You're all an asset for what we do here, and apologies if we didn't always link to your minor league coverage. Hopefully our readers know all about your efforts as well, pretty sure they do.

Stay tuned for all the offseason minor league stuff, folks, you know the routine on our forums here...have a great "offseason".

VIDEO via KCRG from the Rattlers loss

CEDAR RAPIDS — It was gratifying enough to win their first Midwest League playoff series in sweep style. But the way the Cedar Rapids Kernels were able to overcome a couple of “ringers” to do it had to feel even better.

Yeah, the Kernels didn't appreciate Marcos Diplan and Corey Ray's presence, you can read about that here.

Archived