Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wednesday 9/7 - Timber Rattlers Playoff Opener

Mass Haas

Wednesday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Wisconsin: RHP Jordan Yamamoto at home vs. Cedar Rapids (Twins), 6:15 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime; Game One of a Best-Of-Three League Quarterfinal Series; series shifts to the road after this one

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

Helena: RHP Aaron Myers at home vs. Billings (Reds), 7:45 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Kernels take Game One 11-3

Wisconsin trails Cedar Rapids in best-of-three series

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/8/4/6/200161846/cuts/9_7_PlayerOfTheGame_LuisAviles_7345tidv_n22a7hkc.jpg

Luis Aviles went 1-for-3 with a double, a stolen base, a run scored, and two RBI for the Timber Rattlers on Wednesday night. (Wisconsin Timber Rattlers/Ann Mollica)

Wisconsin Boxscore

Well this was an uninspiring performance with poor pitching, poor defense(misplays not scored errors), and poor hitting... not much to be excited about after game 1. I know the conditions weren't ideal, but they were the same for both teams.

Isan Diaz is mired in a horrible slump, batting <.120 over his last 10 games and it couldn't have been timed worse. Same same for Trent Clark and to make matters worse Lucas Erceg's day off to the end season didn't help matters as he has just 1 hit in his last 4 games. Since coming down Corey Ray has 2 hits as a Rattler in 4 games, today's was of the IF variety where the infielder fell down trying to set his feet to make the throw, without being able to watch I'm unsure if there would have been a play.

Rattler hitters struck out 16 times... just bleh.

I was listening pretty intently to the game but I did miss why Jonathan Oquendo replaced Diaz after his strike out to end the 8th, I'm guessing it was disciplinary.

I'm pretty sure the difference in Erceg's error totals from Helena to WI is a bit of good fortune with bounces on poor throws, but more so the quality of the 1B in WI as Alan Sharkey is fantastic defensively and Jake Gatewood has made nice strides over there, scooping a poor Erceg throw early. Erceg looks the part as a fielder, he's got excellent reaction time, range, and arm strength, plus a very nice glove. He's made a plethora of plays on balls down the line and into foul territory, hopefully his throwing accuracy improves because he could be a plus defender.

Wisconsin Log

Postgame Post – September 7, 2016

Erickson's comments worthwhile

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Final: Billings 3, Helena 1

Helena's Aaron Myers (3-1) was the hard-luck loser. He allowed one run -- it was unearned -- in five innings, and struck out seven, and walked only one.

Helena Box Score

19-year-old 2B Franly Mallen only 2-for-6 in SB attempts; Ronnie Gideon the lone multi-hit game; OF Joantgel Segovia hasn't played since 9/1...

Helena Game Log

RHP Michael Petersen last pitched on 8/14; 25 pitchers have seen action in Helena this summer...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Really interested to see what Myers can do next year.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived