Brewer Fanatic

Nick Ramirez & Parker Berberet now Pitchers

JDBrewCrew

Todd Rosiak ‏@Todd_Rosiak 3m3 minutes ago

Small nugget from #Brewers minor-league system: 1B Nick Ramirez and C Parker Berberet are beginning the process of becoming pitchers.

Todd Rosiak ‏@Todd_Rosiak 2m2 minutes ago

Ramirez, a 2011 fourth-round pick of the Brewers, was 16 for 16 as a closer that year at Cal State-Fullerton. Also a lefty.

Todd Rosiak ‏@Todd_Rosiak 30s31 seconds ago

Berberet was a 25th-round pick in 2011. Both he and Ramirez worked over the past month with Chris Hook at Class AA Biloxi.

Todd Rosiak ‏@Todd_Rosiak 10s11 seconds ago

Berberet also worked with Fred Dabney at Class AAA Colorado Springs. Both will jump in head-first in instructionals in then next two weeks.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ramirez the new Kieschnick!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I remember the 2011 draft and looking through some top 250 list and thinking that the one guy I did not want them to draft in the first 5-6 rounds was Nick Ramirez. Seemed like he was pretty average - relative to other college 1B - with his hit tool. He did better than I thought he would, and I thought he would spend some time in the OF to take advantage of his arm and become a utility player, but ultimately I thought that he had limited upside and would struggle with OBP due to a low BA and high K totals, which is what materialized.

Hopefully he can become a good reliever and revive his career.

good luck to the both of them. on a side, reading about how long it takes to develop knuckleball pitchers, but how effective it can be once mastered, I wonder why more teams don't encourage some of the back end pitchers to develop it.

Since the Brewers seem insistent on developing gimmicky side arm pitchers why not add a couple of nuckleballers as well?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Brewers minor-leaguers move to the mound

Todd Rosiak, Journal-Sentinel

Encouraging report, also other notes from instructionals we'll post in the camp thread...

Found this quote interesting:

"That name (Kieschnick) was thrown out there,” Flanagan said. “And obviously being left-handed and playing first base, you never know what you can do with that."

Experience playing 1B... I'm thinking double switches, but instead of burning through a lefty for one batter, Ramirez could move to 1B if a RHH (or a couple of them) is up next, then move back to the mound for subsequent lefties. Also would not necessarily need to PH for him; he's not going to be a great hitter in the majors, but he can be good enough to save that PH for later.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brewers minor-leaguers move to the mound

Todd Rosiak, Journal-Sentinel

Encouraging report, also other notes from instructionals we'll post in the camp thread...

Found this quote interesting:

"That name (Kieschnick) was thrown out there,” Flanagan said. “And obviously being left-handed and playing first base, you never know what you can do with that."

Experience playing 1B... I'm thinking double switches, but instead of burning through a lefty for one batter, Ramirez could move to 1B if a RHH (or a couple of them) is up next, then move back to the mound for subsequent lefties. Also would not necessarily need to PH for him; he's not going to be a great hitter in the majors, but he can be good enough to save that PH for later.

Stearns taking his flexibility predilection to a whole new level.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived