Brewer Fanatic

2016-09-06 Cubs (Hammel) at Brewers (Peralta), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 12-5]

1992casey

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://forum.brewerfan.net/igt/2016-logos/cubs.png[/logo][game-info][h1]September 6 | 7:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Cubs (89-48) | Brewers (60-77)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://forum.brewerfan.net/igt/2016-logos/brewers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://forum.brewerfan.net/igt/2016-pitcher-photos/opponents/cubs_hammel-jason-08.jpghttp://forum.brewerfan.net/igt/2016-pitcher-photos/brewers/brewers_peralta-wily-20.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Jason Hammel[/pitcher][h2]14-7, 3.14 ERA, 1.14 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Hammel got back on track after an abbreviated outing and gave up one run over six innings against the Pirates. He has thrived at Wrigley Field, winning six straight there with a 0.69 ERA in that stretch. He’s 1-1 in Milwaukee this season.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Wily Peralta[/pitcher][h2]5-9, 5.53 ERA, 1.65 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Cubs | Game Log[/h3][h3]Peralta struck out ten over seven innings of one-run ball Tuesday vs. the Cardinals. Since being recalled in early August, in five starts, the 27-year-old has a 3.00 ERA with 27 strikeouts in 30 innings.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. CF Dexter Fowler (S)
  2. 2B Ben Zobrist (S)
  3. 1B Anthony Rizzo (L)
  4. LF Jorge Soler ®
  5. 3B Tommy La Stella (L)
  6. RF Jason Heyward (L)
  7. C Miguel Montero (L)
  8. SS Javier Báez ®
  9. RHP Jason Hammel ®

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. 3B Jonathan Villar (S)
  2. CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis (L)
  3. LF Ryan Braun ®
  4. 2B Hernán Pérez ®
  5. 1B Chris Carter ®
  6. RF Domingo Santana ®
  7. SS Orlando Arcia ®
  8. C Martín Maldonado ®
  9. RHP Wily Peralta ®

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I've been a Counsell supporter, but I'm at the point where I hope Stearns goes and finds his own guy at some point. It's apparent, IMO, that Counsell's managerial style isn't consistent with Stearns' vision for the franchise.

I'm not thrilled with Kirk like everyone else, but he's only one pointless veteran. If Arcia and Perez were also riding the pine maybe you'd have a real beef.

He's a pointless veteran taking away at bats from two young outfielders. It'd be one thing if it's a situation like Carter where it's a pointless veteran signed because we had no one else there (even though I would've preferred giving Pinto a shot at 1B instead of signing Carter.)

You have to wonder what Stearns is doing as well. Does he not see this happening? Is he okay with it? Has he told Counsell to knock it off and Counsell is just ignoring him?

It's just ridiculous at this point.

It's possible he wants to leave such decisions to Counsell.

Though I'd be telling him by now...'I'm not going to tell you how to manage the guys I give you, but if you're not on the same page as me, I'm going to find someone who is.'

It's possible he wants to leave such decisions to Counsell.

Though I'd be telling him by now...'I'm not going to tell you how to manage the guys I give you, but if you're not on the same page as me, I'm going to find someone who is.'

Of course it doesn't help that Attanasio basically made it a requirement that anybody he hired had to keep Counsell. That probably makes Counsell feel invincible about being fired, at least for this year.

I'm not sure I'd peg this on Mark A., though he's a factor regardless.

Counsell just has this weird dynamic where people think he's really smart and intuitive for some reason, which is as far as I can tell is based on nothing more than he's a WI guy who was pretty clutch in his time with the Brewers. I have a bunch of acquaintances who think he's a great manager based on those things, but from where I'm sitting he's not tangibly better than anyone else.

I talked about him stubbornly holding onto that horrible batting stance which suggested to me that he was minimizing his meager potential as a player because he didn't have the talent to pull it off but others saw him as a guy who got the most out of his limited abilities. It's somewhat fascinating that people can see the same thing and come to basically opposite conclusions regarding what they are seeing.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I've been a Counsell supporter, but I'm at the point where I hope Stearns goes and finds his own guy at some point. It's apparent, IMO, that Counsell's managerial style isn't consistent with Stearns' vision for the franchise.

Unless CC & DS collaborate on things such as playing time & usage, which I believe is likely the norm at this point especially among the more analytically inclined teams.

I thought people would be excited about Kirk getting so much playing time as it should help our draft position next year.

If David didn't want Kirk to play he would have DFA'd him by now.

Why? He's having too good of a season to DFA for a minimum salary guy.

Stearns might not prefer him starting without wanting to DFA him out of spite to remove the option.

Stearns might not prefer him starting without wanting to DFA him out of spite to remove the option.

Too good a season? I guess a below average OPS+ and slightly above 0 WAR is good for this team but are they actually going to bring him back next year? I'm guessing not. Why keep him on the roster then.

Too good a season? I guess a below average OPS+ and slightly above 0 WAR is good for this team but are they actually going to bring him back next year? I'm guessing not. Why keep him on the roster then.

I mean, I can't stand Nieuwenhuis starting as much as anyone, but it's more because like you said he isn't gong to be back, or shouldn't be, and we have young players that will be.

But his WAR is a shade over 1, with a .732 OPS , outfield versatility and decent defense. He's a good 4th OFer.

With the rosters having expanded and guys like Elmore having survived it I don't think we can really justify DFA'ing Kirk, much as I'd like to to get him out of the lineup.

Santana was 0-8 with 7 K's vs. Hendricks who was yesterday's starter. Counsell has stated it will be matchup based. If Stearns didn't like this, it wouldn't be happening. There's something to bringing younger players along at a pace. Santana was rushed up and having sparatic success. Maybe allowing him to have success in his starts will do him more good than just flat out playing everyday.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Santana was 0-8 with 7 K's vs. Hendricks who was yesterday's starter. Counsell has stated it will be matchup based. If Stearns didn't like this, it wouldn't be happening. There's something to bringing younger players along at a pace. Santana was rushed up and having sparatic success. Maybe allowing him to have success in his starts will do him more good than just flat out playing everyday.

I see you've changed from the "we're showcasing him for an August trade."

If Stearns didn't like this, it wouldn't be happening.

That's what I think. I think it's highly likely that there's collaboration between Counsell and Stearns, as sveumrules suggests. If David wanted something different, he could issue a directive and require Craig to follow it. If we disagree, I think we should be disagreeing with "the regime" rather than just the manager.

If there's any good coming from this, Craig is showing an ability to distribute playing time among a lot of guys. That may be handy in the future, especially if the team happens to have several young players with relatively equal ability.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived