Brewer Fanatic

Is Brandon's Woodruff's 2016 season the most impressive in MILB?

molitor fan

This is in no way to be confused with my post last year regarding Lopez perhaps being a top 100 prospect, though I will vigorously assert in no way was that a pox upon him that resulted in his poor year.

Instead I have some numbers for you: 72 innings pitched - 42 hits - 12 earned runs - 11 walks - 84 k's over his last 11 starts...take away 2 rough starts right after the death of his brother, and it becomes 62 innings pitched - 26 hits - 2 earned runs (!!!!!) - 8 walks - 74k's

Holy crap.

Flanagan spoke highly of him at the beginning of the season saying he's one to watch but doesnt get the recognition (rankings and discussed) that he should. That will change. He had a great year and the numbers you posted are excellent

This is why we shouldn't get worked up over where/whether or not the PTBNL is ranked on MLB's top 30 prospect list. Woodruff wasn't on the list a year ago. Another team wouldn't be able to touch him now.

It isn't about where a guy is ranked now, it's about where they guy will be ranked a year from now.

This is why we shouldn't get worked up over where/whether or not the PTBNL is ranked on MLB's top 30 prospect list. Woodruff wasn't on the list a year ago. Another team wouldn't be able to touch him now.

It isn't about where a guy is ranked now, it's about where they guy will be ranked a year from now.

I don't think people, in general, are worked up over the PTBNL being a Top 30 or not. Given what Rosenthal and others have reported with the player being a significant prospect that people are assuming it's a Top 30, which makes sense given those reportings. Woodruff, a year ago, wouldn't be considered a significant prospect. Looking at a guy like Payano, he's 21 and in A ball ranked 21 in their system after the trades of several of their top prospects. But his talent is highly regarded. That's the type of player they should be looking at. It definitely doesn't need to be a highly ranked guy in their system just a guy with the potential to become a highly ranked player (ie Woodruff), like you said.

This is why we shouldn't get worked up over where/whether or not the PTBNL is ranked on MLB's top 30 prospect list. Woodruff wasn't on the list a year ago.

I'm 99% sure Woodruff was exactly #30 on the list prior to the Javier Bethancourt addition, but have no way to prove it. Now that I've used this post to pointlessly quibble, I might as well use it shamelessly brag... :tongue

Who will be the biggest climber?

Brandon Woodruff; last 5 starts: 29 2/3 IP, 0.91 ERA, 29/7 K/BB, .98 WHIP. It's a small sample and the overall line is mediocre at best, but it's also his first professional season after a college career where results hadn't matched stuff. A good 6'4" frame, 93-97 MPH fastball and a curveball that at times shows plus, with a nice year at AA next season I think he is in the top 10 prospect conversation. Really, I'm not sure there is a big difference between him and Houser right now outside of draft position.

Don't bother reading that post, it's as mostly as worthless as anything else I've thought.

Archived